Acceleration vibration, CV? HELP! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MACKSDAD

SILVER Star
Threads
So I haven’t been driving the 100 for a few weeks because the LBJ was squeaking so badly it made me not even want to drive the truck.
I figured since I had the knuckle off to get to the LBJ I might aswell do the CV axle.

Everything went smoothly and got it all back together. Drive it around the block, and everything felt good!

A hour or 2 later I took it out for a longer drive. Once I started to get over 50mph I felt a light vibration during acceleration ONLY. Now I’m puzzled as to why? I have heard aftermarket CV axles can cause some issues but doubt this is the cause of my issue because I previously replaced the passenger side with an aftermarket (NAPA) CV with no issues.!

The only lead I have currently is when I changed the cv I had an issue where I couldn’t get it to come out of the hub enough to attach the snap ring, I thought maybe the wheel bearings were not seated but it felt fine to me. After inserting a bolt and pulling with vise grips I was able to get in on. BUT I used the original snap ring as it was much thicker and heavier than the NAPA one. I’m wondering if the extra slack needed to fit the OEM snap ring is causing the cv to not seat properly and causing the vibration. On the passenger side I used the Napa snap ring and never had an issue.

Am I crazy? Who knows lol. Any advice or guidance from the mud boys would be much appreciated!

You want that axle as tight as you can, so using the thicker snap ring was the right answer - although you should get a new one.

You may jump under and check play in each U joint. Could be a separate issue that just popped up. But also wiggle the CV w your hand and make sure there is not play up and down/side to side. If there is then there could be an issue w seating properly

If you have the old CV axle, swap it back in and see if the problem goes away. The symptom does sound like a bad CV axle, and if you are sure it wasn't there before the CV axle, then the old axle should help you confirm that it is, in fact, a defective aftermarket CV axle.

If 50 MPH vibration wasn't there, before FDS (AKA Front drive shaft, AKA CV) service. Then it is service related. But often after a service, people are paying more attention.

I'd first consider tire balance. Which one must also consider the back surface of the wheel and face of wheel hub it butts to. Which both should have been deglazed, before mounting. Wheel hub should have been perfectly flat and true also.

What does
If 50 MPH vibration wasn't there, before FDS (AKA Front drive shaft, AKA CV) service. Then it is service related. But often after a service, people are paying more attention.

I'd first consider tire balance. Which one must also consider the back surface of the wheel and face of wheel hub it butts to. Which both should have been deglazed, before mounting. Wheel hub should have been perfectly flat and true also.
what does deglazing mean? I’m leaning to a balancing issue or maybe I did something improperly when putting wheel bearings back.

I can’t imagine the CV itself is the issue since when I’m doing 55+ it vibrates lightly. When doing 40 I dropped it into 2nd gear to see if it was RPM related and def seems like it’s a speed issue not a RPM issue

really light vibration that kinda plateaus around 70mph. No shaking in steering wheel just a light vibration felt through the floor and seat.

What does

what does deglazing mean? I’m leaning to a balancing issue or maybe I did something improperly when putting wheel bearings back.

I can’t imagine the CV itself is the issue since when I’m doing 55+ it vibrates lightly. When doing 40 I dropped it into 2nd gear to see if it was RPM related and def seems like it’s a speed issue not a RPM issue
The speed of the CV is directly related to the speed of the vehicle and has no direct relationship with RPM.

Just took it in the freeway. It seems the vibration is only happening between 55-70mph with foot on the gas. Once I hit 75 the vibration completely disappears? Seems weird?
The speed of the CV is directly related to the speed of the vehicle and has no direct relationship with RPM.

As far as the vibration goes IF it is from the CV would it be safe to continue driving until I order a OEM one or swap on the old cv after I reboot it?

As far as the vibration goes IF it is from the CV would it be safe to continue driving until I order a OEM one or swap on the old cv after I reboot it?
If its just a light vibration you're fine.

As far as the vibration from the cv on AM units… what the heck causes it in the first place? What is it about OEM CVs vs AM that causes vibration? As far as I could tell they looked identical. Seemed to fit in tight and had decent weight to it? Just curious as to if anyone knows what creates the vibration in the first place?

As far as the vibration from the cv on AM units… what the heck causes it in the first place? What is it about OEM CVs vs AM that causes vibration? As far as I could tell they looked identical. Seemed to fit in tight and had decent weight to it? Just curious as to if anyone knows what creates the vibration in the first place?
Quality control. A spinning mass needs to be well balanced.

What does

Rust and crud build on wheel hub face and back of wheel. They need cleaning off (de-glazing) so surface matt flush.
003.JPG

Wheel hub (10).JPEG

Also surface need to be flat.
This wheel seem torque on. But as lip/raise from beating on wheel hub, ate into wheel. Since wheel wasn't flush when lugs torqued to 97ft-lbf. It loosen when worked (ate into wheel) itself flush.
IMG_2267.JPEG

Never ever beat on wheel hub
IMG_2266.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom