AC system testing, fittings, charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have my FJ62 in Florida, so AC is kind of important :)

Lately I feel that my FJ62's AC is not up to the task.
It seems to work ok when the temp is in the lower 80's and the sky is overcast.
But when the temp is in the 90+ range with the sun shining (dark paint color), the AC is inadequate.
Rather than go to some shop, have the system converted and pay hundreds, I'd like to diagnose it myself.
I bought a gauge set for R22 from Amazon.
I located 2 Schrader valves on the back of the compressor.
Are these the high and low fittings?
The problem is that they are different sizes.
And the hose fittings that came with the gauge kit are the same size.
Has anyone run into this?
It seems that this is not the standard. Other R12 systems that I have read about have both valves the same size.
Are there adapters?
I'm getting no where with this AC system. But I'm not spending hundreds to drop the temp a little.

Your gauge set is likely set up for R134A if you post pics we can tell you exactly what you have.

IIRC the ports are on the compressor intake and discharge fittings. One points each way.

007-jpg.720209

I'll post a pic, but aren't the 134a fittings the press on type locking ones, not the threaded screw on ones that look like bicycle valves?

yep

Is the Picture from an FJ62 or a 60?

Neither...

I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.
My FJ62 is stock with stock AC system, meaning it has R12 with the original high and low fittings.
The attached photo shows that these are schrader valves, not the new snap on R134a fittings.
However, these 2 fittings are different sizes.
The R12 gauge kit that I bought has hoses with schrader fittings, but they're all the same size.
So only one of them fits the fittings on my FJ62's compressor.
Can someone confirm this is right? Why would an R12 gauge set come with one size fittings if a stock R12 system has 2 different sizes. Are there adapters somewhere?

image.jpeg

Those are some nasty looking fittings with all the crud on them. Before you connect gauges or do any charging they must be cleaned really well so the gauges and system don't get that crap in them.

There should be caps on both fittings to keep this from happening.

Does anyone know what sizes these fittings are?

I would be surprised if some people on this list didn't do the testing themselves.

The fitting sizes variations are common and are different based on the vehicles you are working on. Your best bet is to go to a Industrial hose place and purchase adapters. Most places will happily help you out with the size adapters you need.

Also, if you just hook hoses up to those fittings you will put a ton of garbage into your AC system and clog everything.

Thanks.
No, I fully intend on cleaning them up well before connecting to the gauge set.

Wish it wasn't a wild goose chase for the fittings, but nothing is easy.

The low-side fitting is 1/4" male flare and the high-side is 3/16" male flare. There is an adapter to go from the 3/16 to 1/4 Santech #MT0961 or 4Seasons #59606.

my dark blue 60 with non tinted windows gets kinda hot inside, but I tend to have a window part way down and don't put in re-circulate(I like fresh), roll up the window and its nice and cool. Fact is, they are a big ole green house and likes to heat up. My wife's champagne FJ62 stays MUCH cooler inside and the AC in it is not as good(R134)

Had dealer re-charge with r12(which I had) and new expansion valve a few years ago

If I shoot my temp gun at the dash vent I get into the low 40's, which is right about where it was in 1999 when I bought it

The low-side fitting is 1/4" male flare and the high-side is 3/16" male flare. There is an adapter to go from the 3/16 to 1/4 Santech #MT0961 or 4Seasons #59606.

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

my dark blue 60 with non tinted windows gets kinda hot inside, but I tend to have a window part way down and don't put in re-circulate(I like fresh), roll up the window and its nice and cool. Fact is, they are a big ole green house and likes to heat up. My wife's champagne FJ62 stays MUCH cooler inside and the AC in it is not as good(R134)

Had dealer re-charge with r12(which I had) and new expansion valve a few years ago

If I shoot my temp gun at the dash vent I get into the low 40's, which is right about where it was in 1999 when I bought it

I'm assuming you're not in the US. Not sure what PNW is?
Dealers here cannot legally charge with R12. They can only retrofit system to take the newer R134a

Dealers here cannot legally charge with R12. They can only retrofit system to take the newer R134a

R12 is still available, you can find it on Craigslist, ebay and some A/C parts houses. You need a Section 609 certification to purchase (probably not needed to buy from Craigslist). There are a good number of vehicles that do not work well being retro-fitted, any '80-early'90's Cadillac, GM dual air systems, many Chrysler products and same with any factory R12 Mercedes. Still legal although some states require any leaks to be fixed before charging.

R12 is still available, you can find it on Craigslist, ebay and some A/C parts houses. You need a Section 609 certification to purchase (probably not needed to buy from Craigslist). There are a good number of vehicles that do not work well being retro-fitted, any '80-early'90's Cadillac, GM dual air systems, many Chrysler products and same with any factory R12 Mercedes. Still legal although some states require any leaks to be fixed before charging.

Yup, thats what I meant. Its available through private purchase, but a dealer won't recharge them.
Originally I was going to convert to the 134A but I changed my mind.
I am going to buy a can or 2 off of Craigslist or eBay, charge it up and see how it runs.

Pimp lives about 60 miles from me, as the crow flies...PNW = Pacific North West.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom