AC KEEPS BLOWING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL FUSE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So seemingly out of nowhere my AC in my 1994 FZJ80 has started blowing my instrument panel 10fuse everytime I turn it on.

I have had the vehicle for 6 months and it's been perfect, but just this week started to act up. Anybody have any idea of what may be causing this?

Electrical is not my strong point so someone may have to break it down Barney Style for me.

Well you might want to remove the climate control from the dash and check the wires/ plugs. Sounds like theres a short somewhere in the system. You could also check the condenser and see if all those connections look normal and are not compromised.

Have you done anything recently to the car? New radio? Lights? CB? Stuff like that? If so it's not a bad idea to re-check the work and maybe find a pinched wire or something.

Additionally, when you say 'AC on' what do you mean? Like any time the blower fan is on it pops? The blower fan can be on but whenever you push the AC button the fuse blows? When Im trying to diagnose something, the first thing I do is learn to re-create the problem consistently. Then I can research the system/ schematic and go from there.

Here's the schematic

Have you done anything recently to the car? New radio? Lights? CB? Stuff like that? If so it's not a bad idea to re-check the work and maybe find a pinched wire or something.

Additionally, when you say 'AC on' what do you mean? Like any time the blower fan is on it pops? The blower fan can be on but whenever you push the AC button the fuse blows? When Im trying to diagnose something, the first thing I do is learn to re-create the problem consistently. Then I can research the system/ schematic and go from there.

Here's the schematic
I haven't done anything recently at all. I haven't done anything electrical to the vehicle either. . I was driving the other day and got about 15 miles from my house when it just quit, with all the gauges and the power windows. When I got home, I found the fuse busted, I replaced it, and it worked for a minute and then blew the new fuse. Now it does it immediately if the ac button is engaged, it just blows the fust immediatly.

Not sure what changed to make this happen. I currently put a 15a fuse in, and it is working, but I am not sure how long I want to do that for or if that is even safe.

So seemingly out of nowhere my AC in my 1994 FZJ80 has started blowing my instrument panel 10fuse everytime I turn it on.

I have had the vehicle for 6 months and it's been perfect, but just this week started to act up. Anybody have any idea of what may be causing this?

Electrical is not my strong point so someone may have to break it down Barney Style for me.
If the A/C compressor clutch gets worn down, it will short. If the fuse blows as soon as you engage the A/C, that's a pretty good indicator.

If the A/C compressor clutch gets worn down, it will short. If the fuse blows as soon as you engage the A/C, that's a pretty good indicator.
THIS ^^^^

If it's not already seized up, it will likely be soon. Best solution is to replace the complete AC compressor and clutch assembly. Replacing the drier is also good.

The AC and dash stuff are on the same circuit. There is likely nothing wrong under the dash, so check the AC and dig into the dash only if that somehow isn't what's going on under the hood.

Last edited:
as mentioned already, the a/c compressor clutch maybe the culprit. So, disconnect the single wire going to the clutch, and push the A/C button while the engine is running. See what happens and report back.

as mentioned already, the a/c compressor clutch maybe the culprit. So, disconnect the single wire going to the clutch, and push the A/C button while the engine is running. See what happens and report back.
This was the answer I was looking for. Disconnected the wire, replaced the fuse, cranked her up, pushed ac and no blown fuses. Reconnected the wire, cranked her up, pushed the ac button and immediately blew the fuse. Looks like we have a ringer for the ac compressor clutch.

anyone have any idea what median price is for replacing this part ( both shop & diy)?

Here's how I did it when I did mine. In retrospect I wish I would have done the Evaporator too, but its not too hard to go back and re-do if need be. I have access to an AC machine through work, but if you wanted to DIY, you could always have a shop recover the system, take it home and do the work, and then bring it back for a vacuum/ leak test and re-charge. Its all very straightforward easy stuff to replace with basic hand tools.
COMPRESSORDENSO4711166 (471-1166)ROCK AUTO$188
AC EXPANSION VALVEDENSO4752005 (475-2005)ROCK AUTO$21
AC RECEIVER DRIERDENSO4780503 (478-0503)ROCK AUTO19
IDLER PULLEYTOYOTA88440-26090LAKE CITY TOYOTA27.04
AC CONDENSERDENSO477-0554ROCK AUTO91.25

good job dude. Replacing the a/c clutch is quite easy and can be done in the driveway in an hour. I've done that in the past, then after couple of years replaced the entire compressor with a reman unit from NAPA with lifetime warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom