AC issues... tempted to just start blindly replacing stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So far this summer my AC has been working and then about 2 weeks ago it quit during a 12hr drive. Turns out once we got home the sight glass was bone-dry, and we had occasionally been running the AC to see if it would work. Whoops.

Well before this I had noticed the compressor would occasionally make a deep rumble sound and really bog down the engine beyond normal at idle speed. I chose to not pay attention to that sound. Whoops.

So I recharged the system, added some UV dye, and it blew a cold 40degrees out of the vents, and now about 2 weeks later its almost dry again. So I have a leak somewhere but the UV dye isn't showing anything. The only place I haven't gotten a good look at is the cooling unit in the glove box. But from searching on here, it sounds like when the UV isn't showing the leak it is the compressor seals have failed.

Is it worth just replacing the compressor at this point? Or should I get one of the electronic leak detectors and see where that gets me?

Last edited:
IF you've had complete refrigerant loss in two weeks...then clearly you have a major leak. UV dye should show up anywhere except the Evaporator which is inside a housing behind your glove compartment. Leaks there are sometimes revealed by checking the drain hose area at the firewall (just below the Evaporator).

You can try looking into the evaporator drain tube and with a leak that bad, you should see dye if it's leaking inside the evap box. You also might try putting some refrigerant in the system and using a spray bottle with soapy water and spray all the connections and look for bubbles.

I once had a leak that turned out to be a pin hole in the tube that is routed across the firewall behind the engine. That tube is not fun to replace.

I had a leak in the evaporator behind the glove box, fixed that, then around the compressor. Still couldn't find it. Turned out to be at the bottom of the condensor where I really couldn't get a good look at it. Once it was out, you could see the dye on both corners. After the first two didn't fix it, I just ordered everything else and replaced the whole system. Problem solved lol.

Have you pulled the evaporator yet? That's where I'd start, you might find the UV leak there. Even if its not leaking it should be pulled and cleaned (also install a new expansion valve) since the system is empty.

Another suggestion for the location of you're leak would be the rubber AC hoses. With age they can develop tiny pin hole leaks. An easy way to check for them is to put a little freon in the system, then make up some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the outside of all the rubber hoses. If they are leaking, the location of that leak will foam up. Tiny pin hole leaks like these are so small that most of the time you won't see any sign of the UV dye that you added showing up on the outside of the hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom