ABS sensors, universal?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Just a quick question for anyone who ma know first hand.
    I will probably be picking up a pair of front abs sensors for my 80 from a somoone on mud but wanted to see if they were all universal.
    The front sensor i am getting are from a 96 or 97 and my 80 is a 94.
    Will i have any problems putting these in my truck?
    Thanks

2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

3. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Hmmm, close but no cigar. Mine have a small square piece of metal that continues out of the senor itself. no pics handy. I did talk to cdan today on the phone but he mentioned how busy they were today, wasnt going to take his time with my petty issues.
    Anyone else know for sure?
    Mine do look slightly different then these...

4. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Bump,

Anyone know an answer for this?

5. dclee

dclee

Nope, and CDan doesn't either (spoke to him about this as I have a bad sensor on my `94). The later trucks use entirely different wiring harnesses, so there may even be a different ECU for the ABS system. And Toyota doesn't sell the sensors separately (of course).

6. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Hmm,

So is there any real fix for this. Could i just disconnect my front sensors? i know i wont have ABS but some are running their 80's w/o it...

7. knosack

knosack

I just happened into this very issue. Bought a new front ABS harness for my '94 and it comes with the new style. Here's a pic of my old one (silver) next to the new one. Can anyone verify that part # 04895-60013 is for '94? I'm thinking it is since the harnes matches the original perfectly. Just the sensors are different and people say the newer cruisers have a completely different harness.

The FSM talks about adjusint the air gap of the sensor using shims that crimp on the old metal sensor bracket. Anyone know how to do this with the new plastic one?

TIA
    115_1526b.JPG

8. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

So tia,

I cant answer any questions about shims but did the later 95+ work or have you tried it? i sent my paypal tonight for a pair of 97 sensors the the gentlemen who sold them to me is kind enough to take them back if they dont work.

9. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Yes you can just disconnect them. Don't leave the pigtail hanging though.

My right front sensor crapped out over a year ago. I drove it with the ABS light on for 11 months. Then I needed to get it inspected so I tore the dash apart and pulled the ABS light! :D Now..."no problems".

As I have said many time when people bring up this issue - I have TRIED to get lock up my tires in a empty parking lot...stopping from 30 - 35 - 40 - 45 and pressing hard on the pedal and couldn't get them to lock. The only time I have had them lock was on wet pavment and I was trying really hard. I like the way it stops without ABS personally...I feel more in control and as a trained driver getting to use "Threshold Braking" is sweet!

SO if those sensors don't work for you...there is always the cheap fix! :D

10. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

If the plug matches...put it on and see if it works! Or...read my solution in the previous post.

11. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You can also just pull the ABS fuse in the engine compartment and then pull the light on the dash as well.

I too like the way the truck stops without ABS--it's much more of a 'real, live" feel to the rig.

If you are sure the problems are with the sensors, then you might try to find a used one at a junk yard.

Someone else recommended this junkyard:

http://nix99.com/?

You might be able to get just a sensor or the whole unit for a decent price. Toyota charges an arm and a leg.... :rolleyes:

Best.
    -onur

12. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Well my 97 sensors have been paid for and should be in the mail soon. I will report back and when i try to pop them in and tell you guys what happens.

13. knosack

knosack

I've decided to run the old ones until I can verify they will work. Here's a post from Brian Lawrence on our club forum.

The resistance on my new sensors is 1.20 and 1.18 K Ohms, so they could be either. The part # on the new plastic ones are 89542-60030. I'd like to verify they are for use with the '94 before putting them in.

14. knosack

knosack

OK, so I put everything back together, using the new harness (since I already had it in place) and the old sensors. No ABS light! There was some corrosion on one of the right sensor connections in the connector in the wheel well, so I'm now thinking that was my problem all along, not the sensor itself. I always assumed it was the sensor since it's a bit bent and chewed on the end (like someone didn't remove it on a birfield service). We'll see if it stays off.

I still don't know if the new sensors will work, but I plan to find out.

15. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Kurt, im slightly confused....

Can you give us a run down of what your truck has in it as far as the abs.

Its 1994 with 95-97 sensors?

Or is it a 94 with a 95-97 harness?

Sorry.

16. knosack

knosack

It's a '94. I bought a new front ABS harness kit (with sensors) and it came with two harness wires and two new sensors. The harness matches my original one with one wire going from LH wheel well, down the control arm and one wire to the LH sensor and the other wire going midway along the axle. The other harness connects mid-axle with the other one and continues over the pumpkin to the RH sensor.

The new sensors appear to be the same as the '95-'97 ones, so I haven't dared put them in. Didn't have time to try to verify they are for us in the older cruisers today.

My ABS light went off after putting in the new harness with the old sensors. However I still get the ABS kicking in just before a complete stop and turning right. I think that's a symptom of my beat-up sensor. If I can verify the new sensors are OK and figure out how to adjust the gap, I'll give them a try.

17. fjz80boy

fjz80boy

Did you ever get around to trying the sensors I am kind of in the same predicament but I have a 95 with the 94 sensors the lay out of the abs wiring are completely different My abs is still with out working even after changing the sensors.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.