ABS kicking in intermittently with Hellfire knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slomo

It's Complicated
Threads
I just finished a rebuild of my Hellfire knuckles along with the install of 5.29s. When I originally installed the knuckles, one of the ABS compatible sets, the ABS light would come on constantly and the front abs did not work. These were one of the very first sets Billy made and he was having trouble with his machine shop at the time. We decided that there was not enough material machined off and the sensor was too far from the tone ring to get a signal. The rig drove normal and the abs never kicked in once, but I never tested it on the dirt, so I put off dealing with it until the gear swap. After installing one factory knuckle and taking measurements to compare to the Hellfire knuckles, I took 3/32" off one side and 1/16 off the other. For the first 5 minutes of the initial test drive the abs light was out and all seemed well, but then it started firing off one side sporadically and cutting the brake making the truck suddenly pull hard to one side, but would kick back in within 1 second and brake normally again. When this happens I feel the normal abs sensation in the pedal and the noise associated with it. At first it only seemed to happen when I was turning but now it does it stopping straight too. It does it with hard or normal stopping and very randomly. Sensors all seemed normal and had strong magnetic pull when I had them out. Just to be sure I pulled them out and cleaned them to make sure they didn't pick up any metal and they were clean. I tested the resistance per the FSM and they were at 1.32 and 1.36 ohms respectively, well within factory spec and there was no continuity with the knuckle and sensor. I didn't find any damage to the wiring from the body connector to the sensors either.
I am stumped. :bang: Does anyone have any ideas? I am about to rip out the entire abs system because the 315s are going to be replaced by 37-40s in the not too distant future and it will be kind of pointless then anyway, but I would rather not if I don't have to.

Just pull the abs fuse and be done with it. The system doesn't work for s*** once the tire size is substantially larger anyhow. Sometimes it even seemed to increase braking distance for me.

I say ditch it as well. I don't have it after my part time conversion. No problems without it.

What about the light?

How sloppy are the stubs inside the spindles? If the stub has a lot of slop then it wil not be positioned correctly for the abs sensor to read the tone ring. Check the bronze bushings inside the spindle for excessive wear.
That is the one thing I didn't check as I just don't have it in me to tear it back apart to check it. Besides, the :princess: just got the garage back tonight after a month outdoors and I am pretty sure I wouldn't get any for a long time if I kicked her back out so soon. :doh:

I pulled the bulb out.
That is exactly my plan B if I didn't get the magic bullet answer here. Just a bummer to pop for the extra $ for the abs knuckles only to ditch it all. Oh well, it was going by by before long anyway.

Wow, thought I would hear more input from all of the knowledge on this board. Oh well, time to start pulling abs crap off.

If you paid extra for it then keep it. Your wasting your money if you pull it.

If you paid extra for it then keep it. Your wasting your money if you pull it.

How? Think of ABS like bad advice from your car. It may help morons drive but, if you know best, then it makes things worse. If you paid money for bad advice, would you force yourself to take it, even if it would make you worse off? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't say it was wasting money.

What about the light?
Unless you suffer from some psychological disorder that freaks you out if lights are illuminated on your dashboard, you can just ignore it.

Wow, thought I would hear more input from all of the knowledge on this board. Oh well, time to start pulling abs crap off.

Honestly, you could get a meter and measure the signal from the sensor as you rotate a wheel after jacking up the vehicle. I think it's just a hall effect sensor.

How? Think of ABS like bad advice from your car. It may help morons drive but, if you know best, then it makes things worse. If you paid money for bad advice, would you force yourself to take it, even if it would make you worse off? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't say it was wasting money.
" Just a bummer to pop for the extra $ for the abs knuckles only to ditch it all."

Unless you suffer from some psychological disorder that freaks you out if lights are illuminated on your dashboard, you can just ignore it.
Lights are not suppose to be illuminated on your dash unless you are some kind of hack , unknowledgeable and don't care then by all means light up. I care how my dash looks and wouldn't want lights on when they don't need to be.

Lights are not suppose to be illuminated on your dash unless you are some kind of hack , unknowledgeable and don't care then by all means light up. I care how my dash looks and wouldn't want lights on when they don't need to be.
Tell that to your stereo, heat/air controls and gauge's smart guy...

I read through billy's entire knuckle thread it looks like you scored even just getting a set! I too would ditch the abs at this point. You are passing a point of no return here modifying things to such a degree that many of the oem gadgetry will only cause you headaches to get it to function properly. It stings a little knowing you paid a little more for the abs version but time is money. How much more time will you invest into an abs system that is not really needed at this point in your build. I'd pull the abs light and start ripping out as much abs crap as I could!

On another note. Got any pics of that front end? How did you setup your steering? Do you still have a sway bar?

Honestly, you could get a meter and measure the signal from the sensor as you rotate a wheel after jacking up the vehicle. I think it's just a hall effect sensor.
The problem is it is intermittent, with the brakes working fine 96% of the time so would be hard to recreate. Plus I am about over it, tired of chasing a ventriloquist snipe. :flipoff2:

" Just a bummer to pop for the extra $ for the abs knuckles only to ditch it all."

I agree, which is why I posted up hoping to get an "Aha!" answer but it's got 40s in its future so abs was on its way out anyway. It just looks like I will have to hasten the process. :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom