About to jump on a plane to TX to buy and drive an 04 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking more second amendment activities than smoking activities.

I haven't spent as much time on I-10 west of Fort Stockton to know what to see. I'd say budget a lot for energy drinks. West Texas isn't known for its scenery
I recall Fort Stockton had the largest ceramic road runner in the world. I recall, 20 years ago, pulling off there for a picture.

Well today started off great. Did a complete detail while I had the seats out then put it all back together minus the pass get seat. Headed down to Al and Eds so they could give it a look over. They said they will have to take a few hours to find out why I have no sound so I’ll take it back next week to have them sort that out.

Headed back home and gave it a quick wash to remove 1300ish miles of bugs and finally get to work. Got my mud flaps deletes so those were first up or so I thought. As I was removing the mud flaps a nightmare unfolded...freaking rust. So now I am gonna have to yank the back bumper and get cuttiing the cancer out. Definitely not really looking forward to doing the sheet metal work but that’s life.

I did receive my Owl Expedition ramp mount and got that all installed. I didn’t do enough research on how it connected and boy was I in for a suprise when I checked out the install intrusions 😂. Product is great and his customer service was amazing once I get the radio figured out I’ll swap this unit it along with a Bluetooth kit so I can finally call that part finished.

CF188E8E-2EB1-4097-B66B-8FC3D32469C2.jpeg

4078C3D2-64F2-4DEF-AB74-EFE72132FD0C.jpeg

47878FF7-BE47-416C-82EE-63D7A8F90B8D.jpeg

I applaud your optimism and determination to make this rig great again! But that rust and the spliced wires gives me serious anxiety! Do you know if it spent it's entire life in Texas? Did you not notice it when you bought it? Or is this something I need to go check out on mine behind the mud flaps? I was able to verify that mine was in Phoenix it's entire life and I see not a single speck of rust underneath, but now I am worried!

Is that front or rear?

Rust in the front lower part of the rear wheel wells is common.

Is that front or rear?

Rust in the front lower part of the rear wheel wells is common.

It was in the rear. Nothing I can’t fix but it’s just time consuming. The gas tank skid is also pretty rusted which was painted over so I need to either make a skid for it or find a stock one to replace it.

I applaud your optimism and determination to make this rig great again! But that rust and the spliced wires gives me serious anxiety! Do you know if it spent it's entire life in Texas? Did you not notice it when you bought it? Or is this something I need to go check out on mine behind the mud flaps? I was able to verify that mine was in Phoenix it's entire life and I see not a single speck of rust underneath, but now I am worried!

It was originally from Kansas which the title was from and I have my doubts on the PO story. He made up a this whole story about it being a co workers parents car. Everything he mentioned turned out to be wrong but that’s life. Overall I’m pretty happy with it. Spent a lot of time working on it and ditched the factory head unit for a Tesla dash. The amp that was installed would have never worked correctly so I figured that out and now have power and sound to all the speakers. I saved a lot of money buying out of state but gained a few headaches.

I have put a few thousands miles on it and it runs great and we love it. I’m going to tackle the timing belt next week to prep for our CO trip but other then that I’m waiting on TJM to ship my bumper and then figure out interior storage.

D7A6A07F-0669-453C-81AC-E9347BEEA905.jpeg

6DB9D970-74F4-456D-818E-9FBA46145673.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom