About to jump on a plane to TX to buy and drive an 04 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders! My name is Mike and I have been lurking for a while soaking up all the info I can. After weeks of searching I think I found a great all original LX. The only downside to this one is I have to fly to TX blind in the middle of COVID to check it out and if all is well, drive it back to SoCal.

Little about me. I have been a Toyota guy since I was 15 with my first truck being a Tacoma. I wheeled it and always loved their reliability and capability’s. A few years after I sold off the Tacoma I picked up a 89 4Runner which I SASed and beat the snot out of. To this day I regret selling that rig but sometimes that’s just how life goes. Since those I have owned a few Jeeps which I sold off to fund my addiction of speed (horsepower speed). After years and a lot of money spent on the pursuit of going fast it was time to go back to my routes. My fiancée misses our Jeep and the camping trips we took so when I told her I was hanging up the helmet I could tell she was thrilled.

I am hopeful that this 04 173k older couple owned LX will be the perfect rig for my family. As soon as I get home it’s giving it a complete baseline with fluids, TB, WP, thermostat, cabin and intake filters and making sure everything is solid. Once complete or maybe just before it’s time to order some goodies.

The plan:

TJM front bumper
Smittybuild 12k XO winch (had 2mon jeeps and 1 on my trailer and each worked flawles)
white Knuckle off road sliders with kick out
mud flap delete
Sleep Skid plates
Safari snorkle
more aggressive tires, I believe the biggest I can go with the AHC in high is 285/65
Weather tech floor mats

Maybe list:
CBI roof rack
Awning

Hey Mudders! My name is Mike and I have been lurking for a while soaking up all the info I can. After weeks of searching I think I found a great all original LX. The only downside to this one is I have to fly to TX blind in the middle of COVID to check it out and if all is well, drive it back to SoCal.

Little about me. I have been a Toyota guy since I was 15 with my first truck being a Tacoma. I wheeled it and always loved their reliability and capability’s. A few years after I sold off the Tacoma I picked up a 89 4Runner which I SASed and beat the snot out of. To this day I regret selling that rig but sometimes that’s just how life goes. Since those I have owned a few Jeeps which I sold off to fund my addiction of speed (horsepower speed). After years and a lot of money spent on the pursuit of going fast it was time to go back to my routes. My fiancée misses our Jeep and the camping trips we took so when I told her I was hanging up the helmet I could tell she was thrilled.

I am hopeful that this 04 173k older couple owned LX will be the perfect rig for my family. As soon as I get home it’s giving it a complete baseline with fluids, TB, WP, thermostat, cabin and intake filters and making sure everything is solid. Once complete or maybe just before it’s time to order some goodies.

The plan:

TJM front bumper
Smittybuild 12k XO winch (had 2mon jeeps and 1 on my trailer and each worked flawles)
mud flap delete
Sleep Skid plates
Safari snorkle
more aggressive tires, I believe the biggest I can go with the AHC in high is 285/65
Weather tech floor mats

Maybe list:
CBI roof rack
Awning
Did you have someone local with LC knowledge check it out? I flew to get mine after a local member from here test drove it, took video of potential problems, and had a lengthy conversation with me about what he saw. I also took the pics he took and posted them here to get more feedback

The plan:

TJM front bumper
mud flap delete
Sleep Skid plates
Safari snorkle
Weather tech floor mats

Maybe list:
CBI roof rack
Awning
Not much 'Lockdown' in the US then, we would be in big trouble if we go on unaecessary trips.

Good Luck with your LX, and Stay Safe.

Did you have someone local with LC knowledge check it out? I flew to get mine after a local member from here test drove it, took video of potential problems, and had a lengthy conversation with me about what he saw. I also took the pics he took and posted them here to get more feedback

Get out of here with that solid logic and planning 😂. If it’s a s*** LX I used points to fly out so I’ll be out $10 if I decide not to buy it. Speaking with the guy everything sounded good so I’m kinda going on blind dumb faith.

appreciate it, I’m not overly concerned about covid with taking the proper precautions.
That good, but message me in two weeks, A) about the LX, and B) to show your still alive, not necessarily in that order 😊

How many Covid related deaths over there to date? Were up to about 28,000 here in the UK.

Last edited:
If you aren't going to a larger city in TX the risk is slight. For instance, the county I live in (I'm currently in NW NM and while a pita it's not bad) - clarification, the county in TX. There are three total counties that I live within a few hundred feet of. One contains Austin, it had 30-ish cases. The other two had 3 and 2, no deaths.
The county is about 1/2 way between San Antonio and Houston. The panhandle has a hot spot due meat packing industry. I drove 950 miles one way from here to TX and back a few weeks ago (Easter). The trip to and from was uneventful. I drove back via IH 10 and IH 25. Note: some people think they can speed along and not worry about tickets. The Texas Highway Patrol is making money on that belief. That said, from El Paso west the speed limit is 80 and most seem to be getting away with a bit more than that. Personally I was fine with 80. When I turned north on 25 I counted vehicles between the state line and Truth or Consequences. Counting me there were 4. Traffic is light but "kind of" ramping up.

You'll be fine. It's warming up. The bio-weapon doesn't do well in warm, dry weather.

That good, but message me in two weeks A) about the LX, and B) to show your still alive, not necessarily in that order 😊

How many Covid related deaths in the over there to date? Were up to about 28,000 here in the UK.

I am an “essential worker” so I haven’t been hiding in my basement and thus far al is well. I really don’t want to make this a COVID thread but I understand that some people will not agree with my choice and that’s ok. I’ll keep this thread updated

If you aren't going to a larger city in TX the risk is slight. For instance, the county I live in (I'm currently in NW NM and while a pita it's not bad) - clarification, the county in TX. There are three total counties that I live within a few hundred feet of. One contains Austin, it had 30-ish cases. The other two had 3 and 2, no deaths.
The county is about 1/2 way between San Antonio and Houston. The panhandle has a hot spot due meat packing industry. I drove 950 miles one way from here to TX and back a few weeks ago (Easter). The trip to and from was uneventful. I drove back via IH 10 and IH 25. Note: some people think they can speed along and not worry about tickets. The Texas Highway Patrol is making money on that belief. That said, from El Paso west the speed limit is 80 and most seem to be getting away with a bit more than that. Personally I was fine with 80. When I turned north on 25 I counted vehicles between the state line and Truth or Consequences. Counting me there were 4. Traffic is light but "kind of" ramping up.

You'll be fine. It's warming up. The bio-weapon doesn't do well in warm, dry weather.
Thanks. I’m flying into DFW then meeting with some friends for the night. After that it’s gassing up and rolling back to Socal. No idea where I’ll stop on the way back but if worst comes to worst I’ll fold the seats down and call it a night.

Good luck. Bring some heater hose Tees and pliers

Good luck with the purchase and the trip. Glad to see you have friends in the area to stay with. I had a similar experience getting mine in FL and heading back to ME. A good friend of mine lived 45 minutes from the original owner of the LC and gave it a quick test ride / inspection for me. A one way ticket was $20 and a bunch of airline miles so no harm there and I got to see my buddy for a night. It was a fun adventure and I'd definitely do it again.

Thanks. I’m flying into DFW then meeting with some friends for the night. After that it’s gassing up and rolling back to Socal. No idea where I’ll stop on the way back but if worst comes to worst I’ll fold the seats down and call it a night.
Based on your username, it seems you should spend a few more days in Texas. Things are legal there that you get arrested for thinking about in SoCal. Go to a range and rent something with a giggle switch. And get some of that good, good BBQ

Based on your username, it seems you should spend a few more days in Texas. Things are legal there that you get arrested for thinking about in SoCal. Go to a range and rent something with a giggle switch. And get some of that good, good BBQ

Haha, no smoking for me so I’ll be clear there. I have a limited time frame with work so I have to eat and run. Buddy is gonna take me to his favorite BBQ and then it’s rest and on the road early. Still trying. To figure out any places I wanna see on my way back.

Good luck with the purchase and the trip. Glad to see you have friends in the area to stay with. I had a similar experience getting mine in FL and heading back to ME. A good friend of mine lived 45 minutes from the original owner of the LC and gave it a quick test ride / inspection for me. A one way ticket was $20 and a bunch of airline miles so no harm there and I got to see my buddy for a night. It was a fun adventure and I'd definitely do it again.

Picked up my truck last year the same way. Kinda fun and gives you an immediate bond to it’s the rig.

I took a red eye from SF to Iowa to buy our LX, drove it back to CA in about 36 hours. It's a risk, it's an adventure, it'll probably be fine. Bring a scan tool to check/clear codes and hopefully you have the 200 mile tow from AAA if things don't work out...

Haha, no smoking for me so I’ll be clear there. I have a limited time frame with work so I have to eat and run. Buddy is gonna take me to his favorite BBQ and then it’s rest and on the road early. Still trying. To figure out any places I wanna see on my way back.
I was thinking more second amendment activities than smoking activities.

I haven't spent as much time on I-10 west of Fort Stockton to know what to see. I'd say budget a lot for energy drinks. West Texas isn't known for its scenery

@molonlabemike ... 285/65/18 will work fine with AHC, yes. You can also run slightly larger 275/70/18 with no issue (will fit in the spare position as well). I drove my LX on 275/70/18 with AHC for about 18 months without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom