About to jump on a plane to TX to buy and drive an 04 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha, no smoking for me so I’ll be clear there. I have a limited time frame with work so I have to eat and run. Buddy is gonna take me to his favorite BBQ and then it’s rest and on the road early. Still trying. To figure out any places I wanna see on my way back.

2 words for you: BIG BEND. Well worth the 2+ hour detour one-way (I assume you'll be headed west on I-20) to head down and spend a day or two in the park (IF it's open). Absolutely STUNNING scenery and some nice off-road gravel trails that can be done in a stock LX easily. Fort Davis has a stellar (pun intended) observatory.

IMG_2920.JPG

2 words for you: BIG BEND. Well worth the 2+ hour detour one-way (I assume you'll be headed west on I-20) to head down and spend a day or two in the park (IF it's open). Absolutely STUNNING scenery and some nice off-road gravel trails that can be done in a stock LX easily. Fort Davis has a stellar (pun intended) observatory.

View attachment 2295065

Big Bend is still closed, along with many other National Parks.

Big Bend is still closed, along with many other National Parks.

I was hoping they might reopen (even for day visits) as of May 1 when our Governor rolled out a phased opening. Looks like we may not get any parks open until end of May at this point. Frustrating as heck. The ONLY open space in TX where true social distancing is possible (TX being 98%+ privately owned land) and we can't access it :(

I took a red eye from SF to Iowa to buy our LX, drove it back to CA in about 36 hours. It's a risk, it's an adventure, it'll probably be fine. Bring a scan tool to check/clear codes and hopefully you have the 200 mile tow from AAA if things don't work out...

I brought my scanner and my buddy owns a race shop just outside of DFW so I’ll hopefully put it on the lift and give it a once over before the trek. Owner seams like a stand up guy so I’m hopping that’s the gas when I arrive.

View attachment 2295065
I wanna do big bend right and definitely with my family. I am doing this solo and without my tools so I’m trying to minimize my risk. I will definitely be going back I promise!

I wanna do big bend right and definitely with my family. I am doing this solo and without my tools so I’m trying to minimize my risk. I will definitely be going back I promise!

It's well worth the trip for sure. Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park (which is adjacent) are FANTASTIC parks to camp in and explore (just NOT in June-September when it's HOT as heck). When/if you go, hit me up and I can send you the GPX files I've built for both parks with all of my favorite camping spots marked for you.

Thanks. I’m flying into DFW then meeting with some friends for the night. After that it’s gassing up and rolling back to Socal. No idea where I’ll stop on the way back but if worst comes to worst I’ll fold the seats down and call it a night.

We had a contractor fly into NW New Mexico from Bakersfield, CA a few weeks ago. He went to Dallas, Denver, and then Durango, CO. He's alive and well and was a lot of help to us. He said that he was 1 of 20 on an aircraft designed to carry 200 and he felt a lot better being among 20 during this "thing" than he does being stuffed into a can with who knows what. I'm "essential" here (here being NW NM where the reservation brings a new dimension to the "thing") too. Haven't missed a day of work. Fly on the weekends. And I'm at the bottom of the "at risk" age, don't use a mask because I can't see out of it :D and other than paying attention to WHERE I go... life goes on. I don't go where I want to. This too shall pass, until the next one gets out of the lab.

Good luck with your new LC. They are a blast.

@molonlabemike ... 285/65/18 will work fine with AHC, yes. You can also run slightly larger 275/70/18 with no issue (will fit in the spare position as well). I drove my LX on 275/70/18 with AHC for about 18 months without issue.

It's a little out of the way but if they haven't closed the gates he may be able to pass through BiBe (Big Bend National Park), experience Terlingua briefly, then work his way down the River Road, back up to Marfa, then on to IH-10?

It's a little out of the way but if they haven't closed the gates he may be able to pass through BiBe (Big Bend National Park), experience Terlingua briefly, then work his way down the River Road, back up to Marfa, then on to IH-10?

I just went to their site and all through traffic is banned at this time. There is no admittance to the park under any circumstance. Locals only until May 18 at the earliest. Sucks big time.

Bummer.

Onward thru the fog...

Just north of DFW "Argyle" would have checked it out for ya as well if needed.

Also I'm running 287/75/16 on stock wheels no spacers on stock AHC

Last edited:
Just north of DFW "Argyle" would have checked it out for ya as well if needed.

Also I'm running 287/75/16 on stock wheels no spacers on stock AHC

Never thought there would be so much willingness to help honestly. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of everyone’s who has offered.

I did end up picking it up and I think I got a good aka good enough for me deal. 2003 LX470 173k for $11,300. New windshield, brakes and tire. Drives great, couple of small issues to fix like heater Ts which are showing signs of leaking, AHC needs to be bleed and of course a general base line of all fluids and wear items. I’ll know tomorrow but the lumbar support even when adjusted all the way down still hurts my back but it could be because of the flight so I’ll really get a better feel for it on the way home. More updates to follow 😎

Never thought there would be so much willingness to help honestly. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of everyone’s who has offered.

I did end up picking it up and I think I got a good aka good enough for me deal. 2003 LX470 173k for $11,300. New windshield, brakes and tire. Drives great, couple of small issues to fix like heater Ts which are showing signs of leaking ...
Good pickup, and about bringing the heater hose tees and pliers with you on the trip ... :doh:

Sounds like a fun trip and something to keep you busy during the pandemic. I just picked up my LX last week and didn't feel great about the trip required to get it, though not nearly as long as yours. Masks, lots of hand sanitizer, and please everyone, for the love of God, if you have symptoms stay home and away from people!

Sorry you won't get to see Big Bend, you'll just have to make a return trip sometime to complete the adventure.

Nice truck. 04s the best they say, ARACO all the way. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom