A343f Transmission: manual Torque Converter Lockup..anyone tried? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think your days of towing in 4th are over once you get that unit behind you :oops:

I think your days of towing in 4th are over once you get that unit behind you :oops:

Yeah, it's a beast. At least it's largely in the shadow of the LX though. It's lower than the rig and barely as wide. Not like traditional pop-ups that extend beyond the width of our rigs...so "drag" would be negligible. Still, 3400+ lbs would be a serious toll on my 98 in the mountains. Low Range 2nd gear the whole way :)

Last edited:
Towing with the 4sp, OD off/ no dash light. I think 3rd is too low, shifts and hunts entirely too much and revs too high. On big hills, where in normal D, tends to hold gearing better with lower RPMs. imo, and you can manage with gas pedal. The 100 is a pig towing, but does it well if not flogging. Tow in normal D, ect on, and use od off/3rd on down hills with trailer brake.

All that said, I don't tow much, maybe 1-2 times a year, 3500lbs and the 100 does fine from sea level to 8000 ft w/in 100 miles. I just take it easy. Towing with the OD off, or dash showing od off, was nerve racking and rpms were way to high. That was very brief. Truck seemed to run better just using the 4 gears and not reducing it to 3 gears on flat or up hills.

The 200s state tow in 4th with ect power engaged.

I would proceed with caution if buying one of those Black Series aka GIC trailers.

Towing with the 4sp, OD off/ no dash light. I think 3rd is too low, shifts and hunts entirely too much and revs too high. On big hills, where in normal D, tends to hold gearing better with lower RPMs. imo, and you can manage with gas pedal. The 100 is a pig towing, but does it well if not flogging. Tow in normal D, ect on, and use od off/3rd on down hills with trailer brake.

All that said, I don't tow much, maybe 1-2 times a year, 3500lbs and the 100 does fine from sea level to 8000 ft w/in 100 miles. I just take it easy. Towing with the OD off, or dash showing od off, was nerve racking and rpms were way to high. That was very brief. Truck seemed to run better just using the 4 gears and not reducing it to 3 gears on flat or up hills.

The 200s state tow in 4th with ect power engaged.
When I tow in overdrive the transmission constantly shifts between 3rd and OD. And my trans temps are way too high. Towing a 3000lb load in overdrive is definitely not good for our trucks.
I have a 4 speed so towing with OD off is 3rd. Which is 1-1, same as a pre 2016 200 in 4.
I tow at 65mph and 3200rpm. That may seem like high rpm but it’s perfect for towing. The truck loves it. Coolant temp is great and so is trans temp. Not so in OD.

Youre going to need a more powerful truck- I see a 200 in your future.

I was looking at those also, but I've read some mixed reviews. There is a thread on Expo Portal about them.

Yup, read them. Seems hit and miss. Many are completely happy with them. A few have had issues. 2 people had issues with wheel bearings crapping out on them. They use cheap bearings for sure. First thing I'd do is replace them with the proper Timken or SKS bearings....problem solved. Main thing people had issue with was the service from the Australian supplier. The US supplier is totally different. I was impressed with the vendor I visited with. In the end, I'm sure they have issues. But, based on what I saw first hand, they're likely minor and easy to fix DIY.

Smaller trailer perhaps. Or more HP.

These are pretty nice. I towed a Horizon for years. 7000lbs of land cruiser is not great for towing up long hills.

I like the crux. But, it’s $16k. For another $1.5k I could have more room and an easier setup. The Dominator is relatively quick to setup the main structure. A little longer than a roof top tent. The awning is an erector set of poles that looks like it could take a good half hour to setup. Crux has the exact same awning setup. Saw a Crux here in Austin in person. It didn’t look or feel quite as well constructed IMO.

When I tow in overdrive the transmission constantly shifts between 3rd and OD. And my trans temps are way too high. Towing a 3000lb load in overdrive is definitely not good for our trucks.
I have a 4 speed so towing with OD off is 3rd. Which is 1-1, same as a pre 2016 200 in 4.
I tow at 65mph and 3200rpm. That may seem like high rpm but it’s perfect for towing. The truck loves it. Coolant temp is great and so is trans temp. Not so in OD.

Good to know. I’ll try a few runs in the TX hill country with OD off on extended runs and report back.

Man....I wish you hadn't posted a pic of that trailer. I don't need one at all, I mean I really don't need one....but that thing is sweet!

Makes me just want to own one. ;)

As for your tranny, you understand very well what causes heat (anytime the TQ isn't locked up). The trouble is....with these engines and transmissions we have to walk a fine line between OD, TQ lock up and lugging the engine. It requires quite a bit of attention and input from the driver in order to keep things in the 'sweet spot' as road conditions change.

I don't tow anything as heavy as you are proposing....but I tow under similar temperatures and grades. I've never seen the transmission exceed 180°F. (when towing) in either of my vehicles with the A343F.

If you have an IR temp gun....you might want to shoot your lines entering and exiting your radiator and also your trans cooler. Make sure there isn't something going on there. IF those check out....then its time to look at your transmission/TQ.

I wouldn't be too concerned about temps (trans) even up to 190-200°F for brief periods, but above that..... points to a problem that must be dealt with if your transmission is to last a long time.

I surely would not go to Colorado without a fresh trans fluid change and a tube of Lubegard.

Man....I wish you hadn't posted a pic of that trailer. I don't need one at all, I mean I really don't need one....but that thing is sweet!

Makes me just want to own one. ;)

As for your tranny, you understand very well what causes heat (anytime the TQ isn't locked up). The trouble is....with these engines and transmissions we have to walk a fine line between OD, TQ lock up and lugging the engine. It requires quite a bit of attention and input from the driver in order to keep things in the 'sweet spot' as road conditions change.

I don't tow anything as heavy as you are proposing....but I tow under similar temperatures and grades. I've never seen the transmission exceed 180°F. (when towing) in either of my vehicles with the A343F.

If you have an IR temp gun....you might want to shoot your lines entering and exiting your radiator and also your trans cooler. Make sure there isn't something going on there. IF those check out....then its time to look at your transmission/TQ.

I wouldn't be too concerned about temps (trans) even up to 190-200°F for brief periods, but above that..... points to a problem that must be dealt with if your transmission is to last a long time.

I surely would not go to Colorado without a fresh trans fluid change and a tube of Lubegard.
I tow my Travel Trailer a lot and it’s usually loaded to around 4500lb. In South Ga with the outside air at 100* at 65mph in 3rd at 3200rpm I run around 160* trans temp. It will get higher when I slow down to go through cities, even up to 200 after driving hard, but will quickly cool back down as soon as back at Hwy speed. I have seen the temp as high as 212* and that was in stop and go traffic going through Dallas last year on the way to HIH. Outside temp was 106*. It was over 200 for maybe 15 minutes. Kind of scary but what can you do?

I wanted the Thorley headers, but have been told many times that, for whatever reason, they don't work on the 98-99 100s. Not sure at all why not. If it were confirmed to be compatible with my 98, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The DT headers definitely work on a 1999. I have them on my truck. They are apparently a huge project to put on though.

Uneducated question here. Towing in 3rd(OD off) how does one know if TC is locked or not?

If it feels like you are coasting, you are unlocked. If you let off the gas and immediately feel deceleration, then you are locked.

I was looking at those also, but I've read some mixed reviews. There is a thread on Expo Portal about them.
Take a look here... there are many websites/forums that have deleted negative threads and reviews because of this, including www.myswag.org which is one of the largest Australian Off-road trailer forums. The thread at Expedition Portal is gone too.

Take a look here... there are many websites/forums that have deleted negative threads and reviews because of this, including www.myswag.org which is one of the largest Australian Off-road trailer forums. The thread at Expedition Portal is gone too.

Thanks for the links. Definitely going to do more research. I'm not completely sold on them yet. They've imported/assembled quite a few here stateside over the past 6 months. The dealer I visited has sold 6 Dominators, 2 Patrons and 4 Alphas. Another dealer just north of me has sold similar volume. I'm kind of waiting to see what gets said about them by owners here (construction quality, durability and after sales support/service). In Australia, most of the issues seem to revolve around heavy handed sales tactics, poor after sales service and the fact they are built in China (Aussies are very protective of their domestic products). I know these things aren't $40k+ Patriot or Kimberly Kamper trailers and don't expect them to be up to those standards. I can deal with a few cut corners. Crawling all around the trailer, I didn't see anything alarming. The welds all looked very good, all 4 tires were definitely brand new Cooper AT3, electrical connections (I opened her up and looked at the back of the panel) were clean (no excess wiring bundled up) with insulated connections, fuses and proper sized wires, the canvas was solid and the zippers all operated smoothly. All in all, I'd say it was noticeably better built than the Rockwood ESP trailer next to it. The materials just felt "better" on the Black Series.

The Dominator is absolutely at the top of my list right now. The AirOpus is up there too (really amazing camper trailer BTW). The real issue is that we just don't have access to "real" Aussie campers here in the States and are seriously limited when it comes to off-road popup camper options. We could kid ourselves into using a Rockwood or other "off-road" popup that really just has some off-road tires, some diamond plate and a flipped axle to have the "look". But, I just don't think those trailers would last on a trip around the White Rim or Moab. They are fine for gravel roads and State Park camping IMO.

Check out the TAXA Outdoors stuff. I've pulled a Cricket all over Big Bend with my 2000LC. Old Ore Rd and River Rd from one end to the other!

I've towed with the purposed weight of your new trailer quite a bit with my 2000. In my experience with overdrive selected "off," 3rd gear is always in lock up mode at hwy speeds, 1st and 2nd never are as you have been informed. On really flat stretches and long downhills I will turn od back on, but as soon as it kicks the lock up off to maintain speed I switch overdrive back off. With that much weight I don't ever go above 65ish generally though.

I think you'd be happier with money spent on doing a transfercase under drive for high gear and a 3:1 for low range, and part time it since you live in Texas if I'm not mistaken. Vs the money for all the transmission parts. Just my $.02

Here's my weight ticket full vs empty with uhaul trailer just the other week😬
20190611_155647.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom