A/T service question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been thinking about the tranny power flush problem and I have another data point to add:

Back when I was poor, young, and stupid with a '93 80 w/ 120k on it, no maintanence records, 4th owner, I had a tranny power flush performed at the local Jiffy Lube. I never associated it with the problem I developed a few days later, which is that the tranny began to fail (verified by Toyota Dealer and AAMCO). It is only now that I am beginning to see the link- at the time I thought I noticed a little extra tranny gear noise after the flush, but I had the flush done almost IMMEDIATELY after purchasing the vehicle so I couldn't tell for sure, and at the time I didn't know anything about (power flush + old, unmaintained trannies often = tranny failure).

Considering that I just had a power flush performed on my '97 LX450 (albeit at a Toyota Dealer this time), I guess that makes me not-so-poor, older, but still stupid.
:(
Luckily, I've had no probs in the 2k since the flush, but this may have to do with the fact that this vehicle was very well maintained with regular, by-the-book fluid changes and has lower mileage (50k at the time of the flush). I'm going for the fluid exchange from now on!

Hate, (still no name)

Point well taken, and I wish my 2nd post to you had been more conciliatory. That's what I'd intended, but in rereading it I AGAIN don't like my post :eek:. So, welcome to the list and I look forward to more from you. I should more often take the advice of my father, which is "It's OK to disagree, but it's not OK to be disagreeable."

On flush vs exchange, the big problem is not that trannies out and out fail, but that an older tranny naturally accumulates some grundge that harsh solvent or high fluid flows loosen. Then, the smaller bits (valves, tiny orifices) can get clogged and the tranny malfunctions. Unfortunately, the cost of tearing down a tranny just to clean it is prohibitive vs getting a rebuilt unit (also prohibitive). A fluid exchange or regularly trading out a few quarts for fresh keeps gently dissolving the grundge a little at a time and I feel this is the best way to treat a tranny.

IdahoDoug

Dear Mr Hate,

I'm sure that it is entirely possible that you could know a bunch more than any of the regular visitors to this fine site. That being said, it seems to me that you could have introduced yourself with a bit less panache :rolleyes: Coarse confrontations such as the way you started off are generally reserved for members with a bit more of a track record.

It really hurts to step on yer dick when you are wearing golf shoes ;)

D-

Since I started this mess I feel compelled to follow through. I opted for the operation I will call the "fluid exchange". No high pressure "flush", no additives or detergents, just tap the cooler lines and allow trans pump to get rid of the old ATF as the machine pumped in the new. Went to the oil change place ($70 vs. Toyota's $140) to do it after a thorough grilling of the guy to make sure he knew what he was doing. Stood there and watched like a hawk and asked lots of questions. He ensured he wasn't accidently reverse flushing by way of a gauge measuring trans pump pressure and could continually adjust the input pressure as he monitored the dipstick level. I could watch the level of the old fluid rise as the new lowered in the machine (two visible reservoirs). The old stuff looked worse than what I perceived when wiping the dipstick - not terrible, but on its way to orangish red and starting to get "the smell". PO's records show "trans service" at 30K intervals. Had no shifting issues prior, but seemed smoother and crisper, if that makes sense, on a 30 mile cruise immediately after the service. So far, I'm happy and hopefully will report back soon with no new tranny problems. After this, it is my intention to start draining and refilling w/M1 synthetic ATF, although I think I'm sticking w/dino every 3-4K miles in the crankcase w/a new 20004 as it's always served me well in the past. Maybe that will stir this thread back up a bit! Thanks for all the input!

Dan

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=6274;start=msg51012#msg51012 date=1066188941]
Hate, (still no name)

Point well taken, and I wish my 2nd post to you had been more conciliatory. That's what I'd intended, but in rereading it I AGAIN don't like my post :eek:. So, welcome to the list and I look forward to more from you. I should more often take the advice of my father, which is "It's OK to disagree, but it's not OK to be disagreeable."

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

It all made sense to me, but this reply shows you have class too. My thoughts on some of the posts were not so conciliatory ;)

Coming from a guy who has the cerebral horsepower and intestinal fortitude to become a SEAL, I'll take that as a valued compliment. :beer:

IdahoDoug

[quote author=ihatemy4runner link=board=2;threadid=6274;start=msg50579#msg50579 date=1066106612]
The lack of facts about ATF changes, flushes and or exchanges was the reason I responded. I would have assumed that most readers would know better than to try and make up for an unmaintained AT with burnt fluid with a flush system.
[/quote]

Actually, you'd be surprised at the range of readers that frequent the site. Some literally have never pumped their own gas. Some are full awn Cruiser specific Land Cruiser service shop or custom shop owners. Some (like myself) had never changed their own oil when they bought their first Cruiser, but have since learn enough to build an entire truck from a frame. Most fall somewhere in the "functioning opposable thumbs" catagory with a strong willingness to learn more. I think most everyone here learns something each day...not always cruiser related, but something ;)

Once you've spent some time on the site, you'll see all the personalities and recognize the players. If everyone here was "all knowing", the only section we'd need is "chitchat" :D

Welcome to the site.

...and watch out for Junk... ;)

watch out for junk? wish someone had told me that when i first started posting.

junks a lame duck if your willing to sacrifice your mother (and sister, and ego and pride, and reputation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom