a rock rig plan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know this is ment for land cruisers but i have a shot for a great deal on a 84 pickup what would you do to build into a nice rock rig? in order and for as little $$$ as possable.

i was thinking flat bed w/ nothing past frame rails, cut the sh!t out of the front fenders. 4.88 lincon lockf/r and longfeilds all on a 3in lift w/leafs and 2.5in revolver shackles. what do you think?

hm.. a friend of mine did a hilux (mini) and trimmed the chassis to the spring hanger and put a beefy as F#$@ cross member right across there.

don't know much about revolver shackles.

apart from that hack away...

[quote author=tres link=board=12;threadid=6329;start=msg50962#msg50962 date=1066181628]
i know this is ment for land cruisers but i have a shot for a great deal on a 84 pickup what would you do to build into a nice rock rig? in order and for as little $$$ as possable.

i was thinking flat bed w/ nothing past frame rails, cut the sh!t out of the front fenders. 4.88 lincon lockf/r and longfeilds all on a 3in lift w/leafs and 2.5in revolver shackles. what do you think?
[/quote]

Why not just SOA with a nice traction bar? Save money on the lift and do all the fab yourself... From what I hear the revolver shackles are a joke. Also how do you plan on turning it with a welded front? IMHO it would be better to weld the rear then get a Aussie Locker for the front. You can't beat 200 bucks. Longs are a great idea.

84 is a good starter....I've got one laying around, waiting for ideas....

IMO, waggy springs up front, cut the rear frame at the cab and tube it....1/4 ellip 4-link rear suspension, fuel cell, minimal storage, 38.5 tires, Longfields, dual t-cases, upgrade the motor to injection.

Buddy has one sorta setup like that...check the ih8mud.com cover pics, his is an 84 with a 4.3 Howell injection, 700R4, coil linked rear suspension, tubed, and 35" Boggers. He's "growing" it some more this winter, but it works pretty damn well right now.

my buddy is building his right now, he has Dana 44 front, w Limited Slip, GM 12Bolt Rear Spooled, 35's, Marlin Crawler, Custom Bed, Cab Open into bed.. 20R block with 22r Head and Fuel injection.. oh yea and 5.?? Gears

aren't mini's SOA from factory? our hilux's are... as for dana 44, isn't a cruiser axle about as strong with longs?.

Yeah, the 44 vs/ longfields gets tossed around...and I agree they are comparable. I beat the crap out of my longs again this weekend, even my spotter at one point was cringing, and they held fine.

All depends on how much truck you are getting for your plans....I'm toying with a couple future builders, my wife is wanting a Willy's, so my plan is a Sidekick injected motor and tranny, Atlas case, minintruck axles, and my 38.5 tires.... :D

Brian,
My wife was wanting my willy and now I have three kids...be careful man, take it from me.
Goebs

<--zero so far, zero coming :D

Leaves lotso time for other things....hehehe

[quote author=woody link=board=12;threadid=6329;start=msg53642#msg53642 date=1066823377]
<--zero so far, zero coming :D

Leaves lotso time for other things....hehehe
[/quote]

zero coming.... don't be sure, cloning is just around the corner

[quote author=woody link=board=12;threadid=6329;start=msg53209#msg53209 date=1066736449]
All depends on how much truck you are getting for your plans....I'm toying with a couple future builders, my wife is wanting a Willy's, so my plan is a Sidekick injected motor and tranny, Atlas case, minintruck axles, and my 38.5 tires.... :D
[/quote]

A good buddy of mine is selling his CJ2A. Excellent shape. Phillipine steel replacement tub. Beautiful. Gotta take a trip to NW MT to get it though. I'd have to get one of his Willy's pick ups or panels instead though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom