A nice option for 3rd row delete in a GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to see if Front Runner USA will bring in the Prado 150 base box and platform (Here).

I figure if a few people here are interested we might be able to convince them to do so?

Anyone already taken out the 3rd row and want more storage?

I'd like to get this drawer system for the GX, but they aren't setup to ship to the US.It looks like it's about the same height as the 2ns row seats when they are folded down.
OffRoad Systems

Both ARB and Dobinsons sell Prado 150 drawer sets here in the U.S. I put a Dobinsons set in my wife's GX 460 and have been very happy with it - very good quality and easy to use. The setup has a fridge slide on the left side only. ARBs are a little more expensive but I believe you can choose to have a sliding top for either or both sides, whereas the Dobinsons come in one configuration. If you are interested contact Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad and he will set you up. And I am happy to provide more install photos and info if anyone is interested. As to the comment above about height, I am pretty sure all options (Front Runner, Dobinsons and ARB) have drawers that are higher than the 460s middle seats when flat; that is one reason why I built my own drawers in my personal rig. I will say that the trim kit gave me a little grief during the install, but I can provide some tips to anyone who is trying to install it and I am happy with the result.

Dobinsons.jpg

TX GX460 said:
And I am happy to provide more install photos and info if anyone is interested.
Can you get a picture of the 'dead' space between the back of the drawers and the backs of the 2nd row seats? This space interests me for ham radio and dual battery install. Thanks

The problem with most drawer setups is they mount on top of the 3rd row seats so you're lugging around 100lbs of useless weight.

What I like about the Front Runner setup you remove the rear seats and bring the floor back to level with the folded 2nd row so you have a flat platform again.

Last edited:
As you should be able to see above, my third row is removed. The Dobinsons set up installs straight to the sheet metal. This is also true with ARB. The Front Runner is actually the only one I am aware of that allows installation on top of the third row without removal of the seats. If you look at photos of the Front Runner drawers online for the Prado 150, most of them will show installation on top of the third row without removal. But even if you remove the third row, those front runner drawers are so tall that I am willing to bet they are well above the height of the second row seats when laid flat, meaning you won't get a flat surface. They look even taller than Dobinsons. I'm sure some people don't want to remove the third row and like this flexibility, but I personally needed the extra space and weight savings.

The photo below is from my GX 460. I built custom drawers that went in with the third row removed and provide a flat floor with the second row folded down. As you can see the custom drawers are 10 inches tall. So if any drawers are taller than 10 inches, they will not provide a flat surface if installed with the third row removed.
20180627_062454.jpg

Slight edit to above. The photo was a little misleading due to the angle. I remeasured and the actual height of the drawers for a flat surface is 9 inches, not 10. The Front Runner drawers are 13.1" tall, so they definitely would not provide a flat surface with the second row, even with the third row removed. The Dobinsons drawers are a little closer at 11 inches, but they also won't be flush with a folded down second row.

The Front Runner setup is not the normal drawers they offer but a "cubby" of sorts. You can see here that it lines up flush with the rear trim.
front-runner-trunk-base-box-deck-toyota-prado-150-SSTP001-2.jpg

What liners are those that you have on the rear seats and the side panel?

That's a pic from the Front Runner Australia web site

That is interesting, and definitely different than the Front Runner drawers I was referring to. I personally like the utility of a good set of drawers better than these cubbies, but I am sure there are some people who might prefer these instead. Does it come with a top/lid or does it just stay open?

It also does not look like it lines up with the second row seats, so even with a lid you would probably not have a flat surface. I am sure you could create a custom lid or platform that gives you the correct dimentions on top of this setup to line up with the second row.

I just tried to remove one of the rear seats of my my prado 150 to install a second spare wheel in vertical position and continue to have some space for luggage or to open the other seat. It was quite simple, but when I disconnected the cables the alarm that indicates that the seat is not correctly folded began to sound and I could not fix it. I looked in all the forums and nobody talks about what happens when you disconnect the cables from the seat. I supposed that anyone installing drawers had experienced the same problem but I didnt find information about this matter. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Fairly sure you need to disconnect the associated ECU for that system as well. I think buzzer is on the ECU

I found that when you disconnect the white connector that bring all the cables to the back seats your are also disconnecting the ECU because is under the seat but when you press start, the buzzer begins to ring.

Finally and to avoid any electrical problem I decided to build a metal rig that will hold the spare wheel vertical at the rigth side, when finished I will post photos, this way I will have enough space for my tool box and two or three luggages

The Front Runner setup is not the normal drawers they offer but a "cubby" of sorts. You can see here that it lines up flush with the rear trim.
front-runner-trunk-base-box-deck-toyota-prado-150-SSTP001-2.jpg

Any more info on this? I contacted Front Runner USA and they haven’t a clue what it is.

Thanks.

Regarding the seat alarm issue you're having, I imagine it should be some type of button/lever that is depressed when the seat is in the correct position. All you should have to do is just close that circuit, tape the button/lever down or something like that. That would be easier than messing with the ECU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom