A first attempt at restoring a 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don't have to drop the steering column if you don't want to.

But if you don't, you can damage your speedo cable. Ask me how I know. It will never be a problem for me again cuz the tabs are gone now.

I dropped my cluster without touching the steering column and I still have the tabs on mine so we will take a look tonight and see what needs to be done.....I had a difficult time getting the speedo undone but didn't damage it so we will try not to repeat Lash's experience.

good link Jeff thanks

Good to see you at lunch today John.

Debbie asked "who was that?"

"That was Shussshhhhh."

Good to see you at lunch today John.

Debbie asked "who was that?"

"That was Shussshhhhh."

you too....PLEASE apologize to her! after walking off I realized it was her. I would have come around to chat, but yall were obviously having a nice lunch and I didn't want to ruin it with cruiser talk!

New bumper

I finally got the new OEM bumper installed. I will just have to make the rest of it look as good.

I was walking out of Lowes today and saw some guy in a jeep staring at my 40. He asked "So it that a CJ5 or CJ7?" I quickly said "Neither, it is a Landcruiser." He then stupidly said "I thought it didn't look right." I had to hold my tongue from saying, actually it is your heep that doesn't look right, but I just nodded my head and pulled away.
new bumper.jpg
New bumper 2.jpg

I finally got the new OEM bumper installed. I will just have to make the rest of it look as good.

I was walking out of Lowes today and saw some guy in a jeep staring at my 40. He asked "So it that a CJ5 or CJ7?" I quickly said "Neither, it is a Landcruiser." He then stupidly said "I thought it didn't look right." I had to hold my tongue from saying, actually it is your heep that doesn't look right, but I just nodded my head and pulled away.
Surprised he didn't just say "nice Jeep." I get that quite a lot in the D90

Typical heep owner....uneducated...even on their own junk.

Well Elizabeth was definitely impressed and happy you can to show her the new bumper. I went to see Nolan and he got a kick out of the fact I didn't have my hood on.......tip for you.....make sure you have your tag on when you leave the garage:doh:

Surprised he didn't just say "nice Jeep." I get that quite a lot in the D90

I hope only women and children call your D90 a jeep. No self respecting man should make that mistake.

Just wait till that certain idiot asks why you would put a TOYOTA emblem in your "custom" heep grill. He will then still doubt you after reading the data plate with build date. Showing him your old factory service manual will be the only thing that helps his feeble mind to reluctantly accept there is a 4x4 far more awesome than a heep.

Put a snorkel on it and you will get a whole new set of dumb questions. My favorite is "its a parascope so you can see where you be going while under water".

Andy......change your sig line. to show that growing garage!!!!

Andy......change your sig line. to show that growing garage!!!!

I guess I can. I was looking at the 120 series forum and she just rolled her eyes. That shows you how much she will let me do with it. Probably better to focus on 1 money pit at a time.

Summer tops

Has anyone seen one of these SOR Extreme Summer Plus Tops around or at an event? I like that it looks kind of like a soft top, and seems more substantial than most bikini tops. But, it might be a little too restrictive and defeat the purpose of having the top off. It looks like the newer one comes with a bigger window, but I attached an pic of an older one to show the tan color I would get.

Also, has anyone made half doors?
SOR extreme soft plus.jpg
SOR Extreme soft top.jpg

I tried one and it was crap. Made a dust vortex from hell in my 40. It did not fit well either.

I bought bestop 1/2 doors and loved them. Those with a bikini were all I ever needed.

I did get a windjammer once from TPI that was pretty good. I remember it being much better in combination with the bikini top as was the Specter top.

I did get a windjammer once from TPI that was pretty good. I remember it being much better in combination with the bikini top as was the Specter top.

X2 A windjammer with a bikini top is a good combo and pretty versatile.

I have built 1/2 hard doors and I'm happy with them.

Thanks for the thoughts on the top. I guess I will go with the bestop. JT outfitters has the top and doors substantially cheaper then ccot and other sites but I have heard good and bad things about them. I may try them out to save some bucks.

Check out TPI4x4

Thats where I bought my family length bikini and duster/windjammer (essentially a removable back panel with zip in window).

Thanks for the heads up Bomar. I don't want to support bad business.

Lash thanks for sending me that site. Is the quality as good as bestop? I like the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom