A few questions

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Asator, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Asator

Asator

I bought an inexpensive '83 BJ-60 in december and have slowly been replacing varoius parts and other small issues. I was wondering if it is true that they have 3.7 gearing, therefore 31s are the biggest tires to go to without re-gearing and if there would be any issues on the stock rims? I have done a search and have come up with a grab bag of info. Thanks in advance.

Matt

2. grant5127

grant5127

Should be 3.70s unless someone has changed them out........

The tire size will depend on how healthy that little B motor is.......

3. REKCUT

REKCUT SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    MANY folks have gone bigger than 31's without a problem. Going to 33's is very doable. It is often called a rubber overdrive. You will lose the low end in first gear but gain on highway speed. It wont be a big deal unless you are trying to tow with this truck.

4. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to mud.

I would not go with 33's and 3.7's. If you live somewhere with hills, then it makes it slow and you loose your low gearing for offroading. 31x10.5 is a good choice with 3.7's. I would jack up one side of the rear and spin the tire and make a mark on the driveshaft and count how many rotations of the driveshaft you get with one rotation of the tire. Then you will know if you have 3.7's. Depending on the width of 31 you are looking at they should fit on the stock rims.

5. Asator

Asator

Thanks for the help and idea. The 3B so far has no issues and has about 253,000 kilometers on it.

Matt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.