A few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an inexpensive '83 BJ-60 in december and have slowly been replacing varoius parts and other small issues. I was wondering if it is true that they have 3.7 gearing, therefore 31s are the biggest tires to go to without re-gearing and if there would be any issues on the stock rims? I have done a search and have come up with a grab bag of info. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Should be 3.70s unless someone has changed them out........

The tire size will depend on how healthy that little B motor is.......

MANY folks have gone bigger than 31's without a problem. Going to 33's is very doable. It is often called a rubber overdrive. You will lose the low end in first gear but gain on highway speed. It wont be a big deal unless you are trying to tow with this truck.

Welcome to mud.

I would not go with 33's and 3.7's. If you live somewhere with hills, then it makes it slow and you loose your low gearing for offroading. 31x10.5 is a good choice with 3.7's. I would jack up one side of the rear and spin the tire and make a mark on the driveshaft and count how many rotations of the driveshaft you get with one rotation of the tire. Then you will know if you have 3.7's. Depending on the width of 31 you are looking at they should fit on the stock rims.

Thanks for the help and idea. The 3B so far has no issues and has about 253,000 kilometers on it.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom