A couple of newbie questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a '96 LX450 a couple of months ago and I'm just starting to outfit it. I've been reading the board for a while trying to gather information. There's alot of really great information here!
Now for the questions.... I just put on an ARB bullbar and I know it is possible to attach an M12000 # warn winch. &nbsp:Does anyone have a picture of what needs to be cut out in order to attach the winch or a good explanation - I'm kind of a :dunno:.
Next question...I purchased the vehicle with about 72,000 miles on it and I'm just about to rebuild the front axle and was wondering if the knuckle rebuild kit from All Pro Off Road would be good to use.
Also, is there anyone else out there anywhere near the Kennewick, Washington area (southeastern WA)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hello and welcome! There's a load of info on rebuilding the front axle etc. Take a look in the technical section and have a look at prevous posts - I know rebuild kits were discussed at length recently.

Cheers, Jim :beer:

You did buy the ARB that was winch ready, didn't you?

welcome to the board!
now be prepared for teh onslaught of opinions. Jim (as usual) is right on the ball he actually has an extremely good write up on this procedure. as far as parts that is where the opinions fly. there is a genuine dislike for a/m parts in htis little group. the long and short of it is you need to find out who makes the parts in the kit. I recently rebuilt mine with a kit from Man a fre. the parts were from the same suppliers as the oem parts but at a little less cost. check the archived posts and I beleive c-dan posted a complete list of parts including wheel and trunion bearings. I am in Bellingham so that is a Hell of a drive just for help. my advice would be to find jims write up, print it out, memorize it, and plan on about two days worthg of work. welcome and enjoy.
Dave :beer:

Just got a Man A Fre catalog in today, I think I'll give them a try for the axle Rebuild. Thanks for the info.

Yes, The bumper is WInch ready, I called ARB and they said that they did not recomend using a M12000 becuase of the modifications that I would have to be done to the bumper, But they would be happy to sell me a 10000# for 1075.00.
I know that I can find a 12000# for cheaper than that.

I am in SW Washington and am getting ready to do the knuckles as well, hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread a bit.

Phaedrus- did you get the MAF kit w/ or w/out the wheel bearings, did you need to get any other parts from a local auto parts store or Toyota dealer to complete the job (other than grease, cleaner, tools)? I have been looking at that kit and it looks pretty complete.

rjjff- you may be able to find info if you do a search (though I have found the search function does not work properly) about the 12k winch, I think I remember Christo saying it was simply a matter of drilling one extra hole for the fair lead, IIRC no other mods needed.

Yes, The bumper is  WInch  ready, I  called ARB and they said that they did not recomend using a M12000 becuase of the modifications that I would have to be done to the bumper, But they would be happy to sell me a 10000# for 1075.00.
I know that I can find a 12000# for cheaper than that.

The M12k will bolt right up without any modifications to your bumper. The only thing that needs changing is your fairlead will require two new holes drilled into it.

The guys at Man-a-fre are wack jobs! &nbsp:Don't buy the M10k from them. You can find an M12k for under $1k.

Ben and rjjff,

Read over Jim's write up and look at all the pics in all the links so you have a good idea of what is involved and how far you want to take it. (i.e. separating the birfields and swapping sides like Rogue did.)

The following link will give all the parts:
http://www.ih8mud.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=80and100;action=display;num=1051794438;start=13

I prefer to use all Toyota parts and if you really need to cut the costs then find a local source for the bearings. The bearing manufacturer p/n's are in the list. You will soon forget how much $$$ you "saved" by using aftermarket parts and the only memory of the project will be how long it took and how messy it was. The last thing you'll want to do is go back in the axle again in 6 months to replace some cheap part that fails.

-B-

Rick,

The Wulf is once bitten, twice shy...................

Besides, I have done a VERY EFFECTIVE job of brain-washing the lad.

PLEASE, don't ruin it for me........ :bow:

Dan.

B- I hear you about doing the job right and not worrying about saving a few bucks, but comparing the MAF or all pro offroad kit to the parts listing in the other thread we are talking about $500-$600 with discount for toyota OEM vs. $120-$160 for aftermarket, which I recall a few people being happy with, and in fact having some identical parts,ie. same manufacturer and P/N, to OEM. The $400 difference isn't chump change for me so I want to find out all the options. If money weren't tight I would most likely go OEM.

Ben,

It depends, What do you "need" :dunno:

PM me with your requirments and I will tell you how hungry my dog is. :G (as he has been under the weather lately and his apetite is reduced, now is the time to act).......... 8)

Dan,

That's unfortunate but you need to keep things in perspective. I don't have a problem with his views on aftermarket parts just the fire and brimstone religious fanaticism of pending doom that goes with it.
I used the MAF kit and haven't had any problems but also warn people that others have had inner seals in the kits that installed hard and failed early and recommend supplimenting the kit's seals with genuine. But recently others have found that the kit contains the same seal as Toyota distributes.
It would seem that collectively with our deversified knowledge base we could identify areas where cost savings doesn't mean premature failure and a cost increase.
For the record I do insist on only OEM in cases where safety is paramount. Just bought a complete front and rear brake rebuild, rotors, pads and all that e-brake stuff from the other post.
Also all 80 series pads as well, that's the way it was designed and who am I to change it even if it is with another Toyota pad. Too critical of a system for me to be experimenting with.

Ben,
Using OEM parts doesn't cost $500. I think you're referring to Eric's (Eric's bruiser) spreadsheet that listed almost *every* part in the front end including things like the cone washers. I haven't added it up but the "B" option is more like $250; less if you have a bearing source for the Timkens.

Rick,
rjjff is new to the list and asked "a couple of newbie questions." You don't have to read the replies if you don't want to.

-B-

Ben
Hey now thats some fanaticism!!!!!
In my experience the kit form man a fre worked well, I got the super kit with new wheel bearings and trunion bearings. my pig had 140k when I got her so I figured it was long over due. all told I was happy iwth the kit. I went ahead and purchsed the oem inner seals due to beonese warnings of fire and eminent doom and do not regret doing so. I could not tell the difference between the man a fre ones and the toyota ones same supplier and part number. Just cause I have a real fear of trail break down I threw in the oem set and kept the others for trail spares.
In short the only thing on the man a fre stuff I got wich sucked was there cheesy 54mm socket. the rest of the goodys did well and I have since put about 5k on the pig including a 900 mile marathon hauling a uhaul trailer form salt lake city to northern washington.
Dave :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom