A/C problems and now overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been awhile since I've posted but now I have problems. It started with my a/c going out everytime I was at idle but as soon as I started moving again, the a/c kicked back on. Well, it now stopped working altogether and now I've noticed overheating going on when I drive. Haven't used the vehicle since it started overheating because the gauge went pretty high and I don't want to cause anymore damage to it. I've done searches and maybe a possible fan clutch problem? When I called a Toyota mechanic, he thought it might be a blown gasket but I'm hoping to hear better news! TIA

Does the truck overheat at highway speed, level road, going up a grade, when in slow traffic?? Any loss of coolant?

Blown head gasket is what you are trying to avoid.

From everything I've read, it sounds like your fan clutch has issues. You can either replace the fluid in it or replace the clutch.

If you are severely worried about the head gasket, an auto parts store can sell you a kit that will detect the presence of exhaust gasses in your coolant - which may be present even if you don't detect coolant in your oil or oil in your coolant.

Does the truck overheat at highway speed, level road, going up a grade, when in slow traffic?? Any loss of coolant?

It overheats during freeway driving as well as regular city driving.

Blown head gasket is what you are trying to avoid.

From everything I've read, it sounds like your fan clutch has issues. You can either replace the fluid in it or replace the clutch.

I hoping it's just the fan clutch too! What is the price range for repairs?

I hoping it's just the fan clutch too! What is the price range for repairs?

I get the impression that a few bottles of silicone fluid from the hobby store to refill the hub are not expensive.

There is a compatible Aisin fan clutch on amazon for $90ish. That some might argue works best after replacing the fluid with some silicone oil from a hobby store. They refer to it as diff fluid -- because they use it as diff fluid in amazingly intricate RC trucks that have actual differentials.

it's probably not a/c problems. it's likely just cutting out when the engine is overheating, as it's supposed to do. Sometimes the first indication of overheating.
The idle bit may have suggested at the time that the fan may be the issue but the overheating at freeway speed now may be more an indication of overall cooling reduction since you may not need the fan that much at those speeds. Check the rad for blockage (in and out), fan clutch, belts, hoses etc. Probably not a gasket problem causing this, but driving it while overheating could indeed get you there.

Last edited:
it's probably not a/c problems. it's likely just cutting out when the engine is overheating, as it's supposed to do. Sometimes the first indication of overheating.
The idle bit may have suggested at the time that the fan may be the issue but the overheating at freeway speed now may be more an indication of overall cooling reduction since you may not need the fan that much at those speeds. Check the rad for blockage (in and out), fan clutch, belts, hoses etc. Probably not a gasket problem causing this, but driving it while overheating could indeed get you there.

Agree, you likely have two issues. Overheating at idle is usually and airflow issue. Overheating on the highway indicates a circulation issue. Unless you're losing coolant, it doesn't sound like a HG.

Start with the fan clutch and a cooling system flush. You may end up needing a radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom