A/C issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trying to get the a/c going in the 80 to keep the family cool. I replace the belt and installed a new tensioner pulley and bolt. Also the low pressure line and have the short hard line in order. Is there any other common lines that leak or anything I should order now I’d like to get it done in one shot with out replacing everything .

I have been trying to get the a/c going in the 80 to keep the family cool. I replace the belt and installed a new tensioner pulley and bolt. Also the low pressure line and have the short hard line in order. Is there any other common lines that leak or anything I should order now I’d like to get it done in one shot with out replacing everything .
How long have you had the cruiser? Has the AC ever worked? What year is it (early versions had different refrigerant). If the system is open you will need a new receiver/dryer. Probably worth swapping out the expansion valve as well.

Sorry it’s a 94 and had a/c previously but leaked from the low side line when I tried to charge so that’s why it was replace but now it still instantly leaks when tried to fill but I can’t see only hear

You need to get hold of a vacuum pump - your local autozone or similar will rent you one. You need to be able to hold a vacuum to ensure no leaks. No sense in dumping cans of refrigerant into a leaking system. Once you get it all sealed you will need to pull a vacuum for about 4 hours to make sure all the moisture has been removed before refilling.

Did you replace the dryer while the system was open?

I find it rather difficult to identify a vacuum leak in the A/C system. I’ve had better luck with pressurizing the system, and spraying the underhood components with soapy water, then look for bubbles. Doesn’t work inside for the evaporator core / valve, though. Bonus is that you get the area under the hood nice and clean.
And yes, I’m aware that pressurized air is not optimal due to moisture content; no, I don’t have a drier, nor do I have compressed nitrogen available. I just let the vacuum pump do its thing before the refill.

Thanks for the replies I will try pressurizing using air. I did not replace the dryer but I will order one and replace it. I’ll update after parts are received.

R-134a is pretty inexpensive. Local shop charged me $150 to add 1.7 lbs, verified leaks and also added a die so they can check leaks 10 days after recharge. Might be worth just taking it to someone to check out.

Just go ahead and replace the evaporator and expansion block. I didn't when my compressor went out. Then a/c didn't cool properly. Better than recharging, not working, evacuating, replacing, vacuuming, recharging......

Just go ahead and replace the evaporator and expansion block. I didn't when my compressor went out. Then a/c didn't cool properly. Better than recharging, not working, evacuating, replacing, vacuuming, recharging......
The evaporator? Under the dash?

Is that what you meant?

This ain't a trivial task but doable. Here's my writeup: A/C system - how to remove the cooling unit, evaporator, expansion valve - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-c-system-how-to-remove-the-cooling-unit-evaporator-expansion-valve.296748/page-18#post-13964174

While you're in there....
The high pressure soft line, all the orings, the dryer (anytime/everytime the system is opened), and if youre feeling froggy the expansion valve. If you change the Epx Valve you have to take the evaportator out any way, so change the foam around it, give it a good cleaning, and chagne the foam on any of the flapper doors you can reach, and clean out the fan too.

If you really want it to blow cold I'd plan on pulling and cleaning the evaporator (if never done it will be super dirty), then replacing the expansion valve and drier. Before opening it up find and resolve any leaks and replace O rings as necessary.

After that you can take it to an AC shop to pull vacuum and charge it, or DIY if you have the tools. I did this on my 94 back in 2017 and it still blows nice and cold. When I bought the cruiser in 2015 the AC was fully discharged (broken line by the drier) and it was empty for years before that.

1689209579050.png

The evaporator? Under the dash?

Is that what you meant?

Yes. I just went ahead and put a new one in when I replaced the expansion block, instead of cleaning the old one. It seems like most people just clean theirs though.

I replaced drier, compressor, condenser, all o-rings, evaporator, expansion block and belts. Cooler than James Dean now.

Last edited:
If you really want it to blow cold I'd plan on pulling and cleaning the evaporator (if never done it will be super dirty), then replacing the expansion valve and drier. Before opening it up find and resolve any leaks and replace O rings as necessary.

After that you can take it to an AC shop to pull vacuum and charge it, or DIY if you have the tools. I did this on my 94 back in 2017 and it still blows nice and cold. When I bought the cruiser in 2015 the AC was fully discharged (broken line by the drier) and it was empty for years before that.

View attachment 3372094
What should the Low Side and High Side pressure be ?

From the 1996 FSM:

Low side
0.15 MPa = 27.7psi
0.25 MPa = 36.2psi

High side
1.37 MPa = 198.7psi
0.15 MPa = 227.7psi

1692393699536.png

1692393790954.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom