A/C Clutch replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what sets the gap is a small washer beneath the end piece on the clutch and the spines. This is the "shim" referred to above. The aftermarket one I tried was also too tight without it. I had to use the washer from the old clutch which was still too tight, but luckily I had a washer of the same size but just a little thicker. You'll know its right with the business card trick above, technically ".014-.026" per above.

Double check your tension pulley as well, it could be seized up. For a belt to break, your compressor may have other problems...

Whoa, that's a good price, what was that 10 years ago? j/k, yeah if you've got details please post them up

Here's a link to where I bought mine. It's now $155 for a new Denso compressor and clutch. They also sell some of the other items needed to do a full a/c system repair. No affiliation to me, but I had a good buyers experience. Again, this is a NEW Denso 10PA17C exact replacement with clutch. It comes filled with PAG46.

1991 - 1997 Lexus LX450 ~ Toyota Land Cruiser: Air Conditioning AC Compressor

Thanks for the link. I've replaced mine already, but hopefully this will help someone else on a budget. The shipping at the above site is very reasonable as well!

Yep, not a Denso, it's better. You have the same compressor, Mark. They buy from the same supplier I do, and have dropped their price. Was $165.

As always, it's good to hear another works as it should.;)

Yesterday my AC clutch locked up and my battery went bad about the same time. Replaced the battery, cut the belt and now I'm looking for the clutch. Any Ideas where to get an AC clutch unit for a 92? FYI, clutch and compressor are 8 years old and have worked flawlessly since install.

Looks like Toyota only for the clutch. List is 189.00 (discount through Cdan should get it down to about 135.00)

Has anyone performed this on a 91 or 92? My clutch looks different than the one posted earlier. I got the 10m bolt off, inner hub and compressor snout snap ring off. Now I'm stumped on how to get the pulley that's locked up off. I don't see any other snap rings. Do I use a puller? Ideas?

Update, Got the pulley off by using a couple pry bars on the back side. I kept working at it and it came off. Here's a few pics: The first one is of the pulley before coming off. The second one was the reason it was not coming off (Crispy). The last one is all three parts removed. Now it's time for a :beer:

I'm guessing a really weak battery and or a bad connection would cause this. Sound right?
Pulley before resized.JPG
burnt clutch resized.JPG
three parts resized.JPG

The most common causes of the coil melting are 1) <13.5v at the coil, 2) high side pressure to high, from overcharge or inadequate airflow thru condenser or 3) low refrigerant causing rapid cycling.
Those melted coils can make it a real pain to get the pulley off-as you've now experienced. Well done! (both you and the coil)

From the looks of the compressor body, it seems as if the shaft seal is toast, causing additional problems. You need a new nose bearing, clutch and a front seal. Santech has all the parts you need. If not, try Sun Air. Neither may sell to you, but I can if you need the parts.

You mentioned electrical trouble, and I hate to say it, but there could be more ahead. I have a 6E171 Nippondenso that shorted to ground when the shaft seal blew. The fix was to soldier in a jumper because the amplifier board burned a trace.

Most likely the internals of the compressor are fine. Change the fan clutch, clean the outside of the condenser with simple green and water, suck it down and blow in 2 oz. of pag 46 and 134a to the tune of just less than 2lbs, depending on the ambient.

Change the drier if you want, it's cheap and not a bad idea to do so.

Let us know what you decide to replace, oil needs to be added if you do. I've never flushed mine, a conversion, blowing popsicles.

Last edited:
TX Cruiser, you mentioned I needed a new nose bearing and front seal. I know the clutch is toast. I just went out and checked for play in the splined shaft and saw none. However; turning the compressor (charged) is pretty hard to do so. Is that normal? There is a "Star type" washer on the shaft holding a felt washer. I pulled this out earlier looking for another snap ring and as I remembered it seemed oily; however, I need to recheck tonight.
Couple notes: Electrical problem was a battery going dead. AC has worked perfectly until the clutch locked up.
On the last compressor change 8 years ago, did the 134 conversion. Could not get it to cool like R12, so I ended up going back with R12.

Update: Replaced the clutch from Cdan with new shim kit (3 very small washers). AC blows cold as it should. Conclusion; coil was fried to the pulley due to low voltage caused by the bad battery.

Well my clutch went a couple of days ago. Seems I was low on freon and so it was probably over cycling the clutch. Anyway, I got the clutch kit ordered yesterday and disassembled everything yesterday evening. Picked up the new clutch this morning and now everything is working well. I found this thread to be pretty useful although I also used the FSM.

A couple of notes. It took me about 2 hours to get everything disassembled from start to finish. It would have been closer to 1 if I had had the two SST's that are illustrated in the FSM. It took less than an hour to reassemble everything. Regarding the shims, I bought a new shim kit (comes with 3 shims) but opted to go with the shim(s) that I removed. I say shim(s) because I think it's two shims stuck together judging from the thickness but I really couldn't tell. Anyway, it worked perfectly to just reuse what came out. I did replace the two snap rings however and would suggest that everyone does the same. They are only about $1 each.

Not good to have your A/C go in July in South Alabama.

Glad it all worked out, I don't use FSM's. I couldn't honestly say that the shaft seal is going to hold up after viewing the melted clutch.

I sold the original poster a new compressor, it's now done from what I know. I don't like the X in my sand box. I'm waiting for correspondence.

Update, mine is still holding together and working properly with one exception. The thermistor in the evaporator went out last week which dropped the 12v to the AC fuse. Bypassed the sensor for now and all is well. My clutch burn up was from low voltage caused by a near dead battery.

Hey guys sorry to bring a 7 year old post up from the grave But, this seems to have a lot of good info with a lot of AC smart people.

So took my 91 FJ80 on a road trip. It was HOT out 90-100, anyways while in upstate NY My AC stopped working, Fuse ended up burning up and the AC stinks of burnt Clutch! now even when ac was off (fuse Replaced) it is Noisy from the AC Compressor side, its Slightly grind noise kinda like sands in it. I am fairly certain that the Coolant is low, because it never got really cold, and unfortunately for me I didn't know that could burn up a clutch. opps. Also I checked (Fuse Replaced) the pulley when on and the AC clutch tries to engage and does spin slightly the compressor, just not at the same speed and causes the pully to wobble a bit. I also have that clutch goop coming out of the clutch.

I have very little AC experience so the question becomes, Did i Kill the compressor or just the clutch? Do you think Replacing the clutch and adding coolant would have it work again for years to come. Im debating on taking it to a shop. Turning wrenches is what I grew up doing but AC systems have always scared me a bit. I guess we fear what we dont fully understand. I want to know what yall with some experience think!

1) You don't mean coolant, you mean refrigerant.

2) If you're A/C is original, that means it's r12, which means you have to decide whether to keep it that way or convert to 134a. Plus/minuses either way.

3) Diagnosing in person should let you know whether it's the compressor or just the clutch: Can you spin the compressor shaft relatively freely and without play? Is the clutch bearing shot? Etc. Do NOT use it anymore till you get it sorted, or you definitely will damage the compressor.

Just have to say thanks to the gang here - was able to use the information in this post to diagnose that my ac clutch was bad (awful racket and black stuff coming out of front side by pulley, and of course no cold air.

Bought a 1995 FJ80 from Australia last week and it’s been quite a party. And ac was high on my list.

So I ordered replacement clutch on eBay for $89, and it was here in a day, and i installed in 2 hours taking my time. Pretty easy job, 1 🍌 no more.

And check out this old clutch. Wow. It sure was fried. The ring sure was easy to remove as it was cut in half already. And the rando ball bearing was neat.

Anyway, tightened it all back up and adjusted the belt. And voila, she’s blowing ice cubes out of the dash. Literally so nice and cold.

Best of all, prior owner had taken to his mechanic and they told him they couldn’t fix it as ac parts are not available for RHD FJ80s, while charging $400 to diagnose problem. What a world.

IMG_6063.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom