A 4Runner - not a build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got this for a song, and do not plan to invest gobs of money

Also
  • Just noticed one shock has started leaking, which == death of XREAS. Started shopping for a suspension.

Googling SAS, 37's with split t-case!! j/k - good luck with the suspension!! Apex Overland seems to highly recommend Radflo... keep us updated on the search!!

Don’t forget the dorkle and the blower
3CDF7086-AC76-4CB5-B314-69D666BC55D2.jpeg

@jfz80 if my 4R ever looks like that, please shoot me. In the head. Repeatedly. ;)

@Pick yeah, um, no. ;) Either going with Eibach ProTruck, or a Dobinson's. I'd actually prefer minimal lift with a great ride onroad and off.

Some time in the next few weeks, I'm going to have to drop the transfer case and reseal it - the actuator housing seal is shot and thankfully I have just a small drip at the moment. Engaging CDL and low range is hit or miss currently. Been doing lots of reading on it, about to enroll in YTU (Youtube Univ) for more insight...

Anyway, if anyone's dropped a V8 4R or GX470 xfer case and done this work and has any tips, I'm all ears! (And I'd love to go with a manual shifting xfer case, but my money tree didn't bloom this year.)

I have been incredibly satisfied with the Yakima setup I got off CL to transport my kayak. The kayak is a 68 lb (hull only) Hobie Compass; I ended up scoring a Yakima Showboat 66 load-assist roller, and the Sweet Roll cradles - all used 1 time, for $200. The seller also threw in some older cradles which I haven't used. I mounted this to the factory rack.

Anyway, this setup makes loading the yak rather simple, and does a great job securing it.

Here it is, bare. The aft cradles have rollers built in, so that once i get the yak up there, positioning it is simple:
1606338043669.png

Two latches secure the Showboat, undo those for loading and unloading. The back part is a roller, so when the bow is on it, a simple lift of the stern and a wee bit o' ass gets it on the rack. Dismounting is a breeze, bring the stern to the ground, then walk the bow away from the vehicle.
1606338218261.png

1606338244461.png

Two included straps secure the kayak to the rack, and bow and stern lines for additional safety.
1606338321578.png

It takes me a few minutes to load and unload - most of the time is spent on straps. One thing I've found is if the loading process is easy, I'm much more likely to go more often. 10/10, fully recommend.

Now I need to find a way to keep my feet warm in the cold water...

This is what XREAS looks like when removed:
1607290153744.png

Red box, lotsa warpping:
1607290201871.png

Shiny:
1607290230950.png

1607290256308.png

Need an alignment now. Took a short drive, I think I'm going to be quite happy with this suspension. With Black Friday sale + free shipping, got it to my door for ~$650.

Haha, I forgot to put my front swaybar back on! :doh::grinpimp::beer: Hard core! Really prefer no front swaybar on IFS, on my short drive the 4R was still pretty flat around corners. C'est la vie and s***....

Nice. Where's the money shot Joe?

@JohnVee based on work others here do, and document, not a build at all. When some serious mods and/or fab occur, then it's a build.

Ramon this is all I got:
1607430848676.png

Funny thing is, I now have maybe enough clearance for the 31's.

That’s still impressive. I don’t think we ever saw a pic of the GX ;)

Great looking ride Joe 👍

That thing looks goooood Joe!

I don’t think we ever saw a pic of the GX ;)

I saw a highly build GX this weekend on Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary and thought of @little_joe - of course I didn't have the phone at the ready to grab a pic :/

That thing looks goooood Joe!

I saw a highly build GX this weekend on Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary and thought of @little_joe - of course I didn't have the phone at the ready to grab a pic :/

And if you didn't know who it was, that was me waving to you and Emily at the Kildaire/Penny intersection a few weekends ago. I was incognito in my (previously) lowered 4Runner.

I have a funny riddle: I need someone to explain to me how installing a new suspension results in some interior lights failing - specifically, the driver's side of the HVAC controls, a seat heater switch, and 1 window switch. All the switches work fine...

We recognized you. It was beautiful weather for a ride in the topless 40 that day!

Meme.jpg

The 4Runner looks awesome Joe! Apparently, chicks dig 4th Gens. :grinpimp:

@JohnVee based on work others here do, and document, not a build at all. When some serious mods and/or fab occur, then it's a build.

Ramon this is all I got:
View attachment 2519050

Funny thing is, I now have maybe enough clearance for the 31's.
Waverly place is not the best location for a photo shoot.

Waverly place is not the best location for a photo shoot.

And to make it worse, I went into Whole Foods and couldn't find cigarettes, liquor, or those organic made-from-seaweed pantyhose. I waited to speak to the manager, but the manager would not show.

And to make it worse, I went into Whole Foods and couldn't find cigarettes, liquor, or those organic made-from-seaweed pantyhose. I waited to speak to the manager, but the manager would not show.

Did you ask them if their boxed water is "cage free"?

Did you ask them if their boxed water is "cage free"?

I'll never shop there again, ever. Emma and I went for their hot food buffet once when moving into our new house (before we had moved in). We got about 1/2 pint of mac 'n cheese as one of our "sides" and the cashier rang it up, it said "14.50" and I thought it was surely a mistake. Nope, cashier confirmed it was "kinda' expensive for mac 'n cheese, but it rang correctly". I figured it was about .80/bite. Paid it, but vowed to never step foot in that pretentious narcissistic store again.

I'll never shop there again, ever. Emma and I went for their hot food buffet once when moving into our new house (before we had moved in). We got about 1/2 pint of mac 'n cheese as one of our "sides" and the cashier rang it up, it said "14.50" and I thought it was surely a mistake. Nope, cashier confirmed it was "kinda' expensive for mac 'n cheese, but it rang correctly". I figured it was about .80/bite. Paid it, but vowed to never step foot in that pretentious narcissistic store again.

Well, was it good? Maybe it had responsibly just-harvested saffron.

For all who laugh at The People of Walmart (myself included), The People of Whole Foods are a funnier bunch - they're just walking, breathing cliches of self-righteousness, dressed differently but equally as funny, and convinced they are saving the world while munching on $29/pint mac 'n cheese. Seriously?

(I have to admit, that store is the only place close by I've found that sells the 8-packs of Sycamore Brewing pints, which I love dearly.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom