98 LX470 AHC to OME Suspension Swap by Mudrak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pics - 98 LX470 AHC to OME Suspension Swap by Mudrak

Took my 98 LX470 to Gary last week to have an OME Medium Load 2" lift kit installed to replace the 2nd time failed AHC system. The LX has 170K miles on it. Picked it up Sunday in Sonoma and I'm happy with the performance and glad to be rid of the AHC system.

Gary did a great job and while it was in the shop, he also changed all the fluids to synthetic, installed new front brake pads and lubed the drive shaft.

The rides seems more responsive and secure. No body leaning on turns, which was what I hated most with the original setup. The ride is comfortable and I liked how it turned out. Now I need to up-tire from my 275's.:p

Last edited:
I have driven the LX for 7 years in all modes. I would say that the OME kit is probably most similar to sport mode.

could you take a side profile shot to show us how it looks after the conversion? Thanks!

Thanks for stating that it reduces body roll thats what I need my management (parents) to see, and approve me doing a lift. my shocks have seen better days... And other things also

Answers:

>>could you take a side profile shot to show us how it looks after the conversion? Thanks!<<

Sure. I'll get some pictures up in the next day or so.

>>Should look exactly the same as AHC in High position, no?<<

I would say that is accurate.

>>If you don't mind.. what did it cost?<<

OME kit price, plus about $500 for the install.

>>Thanks for stating that it reduces body roll thats what I need my management (parents) to see, and approve me doing a lift.<<

Yup, the reduction in body roll has been nice. The true test will come the next time I head up to Tahoe or down to Santa Cruz. There's lots of curves on those routes.

I think its great you are putting that kind of investment into a truck with 170k miles. That says alot about the 100s, and your report is good reassurance for those of us that are considering doing the same (when the AHC craps out).

Thank you posting the labor costs. That seems reasonable given what work is involved. If I were still in Nor Cal I would take my 100 to your guy based on the information you have given.

(I used to commute highway 17 for 4 years to San Jose from Aptos--its a great road to drive when there is light traffic--fun fun!)

I'm considering the same medium lift and can't wait to see how it looks.

170k wow. Anyone have higher?

Pictures Added

Sorry it took so long, but here are some pics. Another great thing about not having the AHC is the vehicle is nice and quiet after stopping at a light, no annoying random height adjustments. Whisper silent, the way it should be. Yeah, I know, gotta get some bigger tires.
LX470_1.jpg
LX470_2.jpg
LX470_3.jpg

hey that looks totally stock looks great for 10 year old with 170k on it show me another manufactr that can say that about their vehicle. ok enough praise did you change any of the torsion bars etc? if you have time can you list what was actually changes etc mine is still under warranty but very frustrating with the movements (06 lx 43k miles) thanks

hey that looks totally stock looks great for 10 year old with 170k on it show me another manufactr that can say that about their vehicle. ok enough praise did you change any of the torsion bars etc? if you have time can you list what was actually changes etc mine is still under warranty but very frustrating with the movements (06 lx 43k miles) thanks

It's the OME 2" Lift Medium Load Kit:

2 x Old Man Emu N133 Shocks
2 x Old Man Emu N101 Shocks
2 x Old Man Emu Torsion Bars
2 x OME865 Rear Coil Springs

Keep in mind that the movements may be frustrating, but I believe that's the way the system is designed to operate.

I have several accumulator customers with over 170K on their LX 470's. All are in EXCELLENT condition, one cannot be distinguished from showroom new i n/out. I do not think it unreasonable to expect 300K + from a well maintained LX/LC. Regular routine preventive maintenance seems the key. Oil changes at 3-5 K, timing belt changes, cleaning, waxing, etc.

I've got a similar issue with my new rig. I am usually tinkering around in the FJ60 forum but just purchased a 98 LX470 and have a question. The previous owner disabled the AHC and installed a conversion kit. The ride seems nice but the front end is lower than it should be. Is there an "easy fix" to raise the front end a bit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom