97 LX450 Crank strong but No start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One day i came home turn her off and the next day she just cranked and cranked but didn’t start
Things i have changed since this Fuel Filter, TPS, and next is the fusible Link i had to PB Blast the screws so that’s happening tonight any way prior to this i checked the codes and 4 codes came up crank sensors which i think i have had disconnected along time ago and closed TPS so i changed that and still nothing i changed the fuel filter and still nothing after the fusible link what are some other approaches i should do ? Please help thank you

This massive run-on sentence with no punctuation hurts my brain.

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to Run?

Could be the light bulb, yes, but since you aren't starting I doubt it. Follow the schematic steps and you should be able to go from there and determine what the issue is. Whatever power or ground issue is not allowing your check engine light to illuminate is likely causing the rest of your problems.

Lol, my point was that I doubt it was a blown light as that would be pretty unlikely but looks like it was in this case. Hope you get the starting issue figured out. I'd verify you have spark and go from there.

Lol, my point was that I doubt it was a blown light as that would be pretty unlikely but looks like it was in this case. Hope you get the starting issue figured out. I'd verify you have spark and go from there.
Ok thank you

Gents, looking for a little help here. I stopped by to see if I could help getting ORL's truck running and got stumped. We referenced the Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures in the FAQ. Here's what we know:

1. There is a CEL when the key is first turned on.
2. He had a P0120 code. We set his TPS to be 10 degrees with ignition ON (it was at 0) and manually cleared the code. So his truck now has...
3. No CEL codes.
4. Engine cranks fine but no start. Main ship battery is low, but we had it hooked up to a big charger so plenty of amps.
5. We put his EFI relay in my truck and my truck started fine, so we crossed that off the list.
6. The 50 amp AM1 fuse, the 15 amp EFI fuse and the 7.5 amp Ignition fuse (by the driver's knee) all ohmed and looked good.
7. The fusible links are new.
8. We pulled and grounded the number 1 spark plug and got spark.
9. We pulled the fuel return hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator and cranked the truck and got a strong stream of fuel. So we have fuel and it is getting at least that far.
10. Fuel filter is new.
11. His wires are exposed by the EGR port and need to have thermal wrap installed. No "obvious" burns yet.

Still no start. I'm not sure if it is a clue, but there is a strong smell of fuel when you crank the truck. No obvious leaks that I could find. He definitely needs a new charcoal canister, but still.... I did try cranking with the fuel cap removed and that didn't help.

I forgot to check the 15 amp ECU-IG fuse in the fuse box at the driver's left knee. So OffRoadLife, you need to check that.

So at the end of the day the question is if he has no CEL codes, he has spark at the number one plug, and there is fuel coming out of the return of the fuel pressure regulator, why no start? Could something be causing the injectors not be supplying the fuel?

Thanks for any help...

And you did the checks on page 66 of the schematic like I mentioned earlier? If so, one of the checks would verify that you have power to your injectors. It is highlighted below. If you haven't done so, these checks are where I would start.

1568319034160.png

This is part of the stuff you would rule out with the checks I mentioned above already, but a quick first check that I would try is looking for voltage at the two items circled below. You mention that you have ohmed out that ign fuse, but you didn't mention actually checking to see for voltage, whether power is actually making it that far. You also say the fusible links are new but without checking to see if they are supplying voltage it doesn't rule them out.

1568323616532.png

I did not do the checks on page 66. I ran out of time today. Do I just use my meter in the back of the harness, or do I have to take the harness connectors off and check the ECM?

I assumed since we had a CEL and a voltage light, the fusible links were good.

I see the importance of what you circled. I have a few minutes tomorrow. I can run by and check those two at a minimum.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be any need to take the connectors off the ecm to do the checks, just run the meter off the pins on the harness. If the OP can just check for voltage across the IGN fuse that would rule out both that and the FL. Those struck me as good points to start with since you have fuel and spark, as these are using the same power as the injectors. Edit: looks like that powers the relay for the fuel pump (circuit opening relay) as well and if that is working then this may all be good as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom