'97 LX Ground Up Build, Cummins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lexus 7.jpg

Wasn't planning on purchasing an engine until the spring, but I came across this one for a price I couldn't pass up. Lower km, 1992 intercooled, from an auto truck. So the first order of business is to pull and sell all the pieces I'm not going to need on the swap. Not going to need the current turbo, flex plate, trans adaptor, starter, trans cooler, and possibly the fan. I have a timing spacer to install on the injection pump, tackle the KDP, clean it up and do a reseal on it

Lexus 8.jpg

Always wanted to do quad headlights on this build, but had written them off as any North American retailer wanted what I consider too much to justify. Luckily, I found someone on an Aussie 80 series Facebook page who was selling a set privately. They just arrived today, can't wait to install these!

View attachment 2580033

Always wanted to do quad headlights on this build, but had written them off as any North American retailer wanted what I consider too much to justify. Luckily, I found someone on an Aussie 80 series Facebook page who was selling a set privately. They just arrived today, can't wait to install these!
I have a set of these coming for my Lexus, can’t wait to get the installed. They are quite hard to find!

So a big update after lots of nothing. Picked up an NV4500, bought a core for a pretty good price. Previous owner put in ATF+4 and cooked the synchros. He told me some of the gear teeth broke, too. Picked it up in the Lexus

Lexus15.jpg

Started pulling it all down, I forgot how easy these were after messing with NV5600s all the time these last few years

Lexus11.jpg

Couldn't find any damage to the gears, but the case had quite a few metal pieces in it. Someone has been in here before, the tranny has an updated 5th gear nut, this nut likes to back off and drop 5th gear in stock form

lexus9.jpg

Finally found a blown up flat roller bearing on one of the mainshaft gears

Lexus14.jpg

The mainshaft would probably be reusable if I needed too, but I need a mainshaft splined for the Toyota case anyway, so I'm not too bummed out about it

Lexus12.jpg

So that's how it sits, now that I have a good idea what parts I need to order, I can start pulling the bearings and synchros and the gears off the main shaft. Probably gonna be a few weeks out on ordering the new shaft, with the Canadian to US conversion it's a real killer price wise, haha

I pulled my AA adapter (nv4500) for the part time t case and have the chopped output shaft and t-case if your interested. Also got some wheels spacers to put up in kijiji
Definitely interested, I'll shoot ya a message

Did a little filler project while waiting for my transmission parts to come in. Also ordered a top and bottom end reseal for the engine, might as well replace all the seals I can get at while it's on the floor. In the meantime, I got my quad lights installed with the arrival of a Yota grill. I love the look, they're aimed as well as they can be for having 3 different lights out of the set of 4, haha. Looking for a nice set of 4x6 housings and bulbs. I personally hate LEDs

Lexus16.jpg

Made another trip to pick up a bellhousing for the 4500, turns out the fella had a lot of things I’d need to track down eventually. Just adding to the pile for now

DB8CF6EA-8D0C-4116-B471-9D2CADE0B19D.jpeg

I’m thinking about running the Amsoil synthetic (GL-4) in mine after the reassembly/rebuild. Curious as to what you will use
I've been using Redline MTL in my NV5600 in my Dodge for almost 100,000 km, and no complaints. So I may stay with redline for the 4500, too. I think it's MT-85 or something. Alternatively, ACDelco used to make a fluid called "Manual Transmission Fluid", used that in some Dodges I used to have with no issues either. Haven't seen it in a while, though

Progress has been really slow lately, but yesterday I did find some time to strip some of the accessories off the block and take it down to the car wash for a clean up. Not that it overly needed it, this engine is one of the cleaner ones I've seen. Trouble is, I can't keep my priorities straight, and it's being torn down side by side with the '96 engine I have for my 1986 Squarebody. So there's parts everywhere, haha

23.jpg

I have decided to run the Hx35 off the 96 on this engine, though, I like to put turbos off of newer trucks on these, but with the 35, the exhaust can stay at 3". Should definitely help with the routing under the truck, and it won't have any adverse affects at the moderate power levels I'm looking for

I remember seeing both you're old HDJ and this LX450 on Kijiji. Glad this happened, this is going to be a fun thread to follow. Keep up the good work! Cheers

Unfortunately, this project has been sitting on the back burner for quite some time. Been putting any extra time I've had into my square body project, been out of town for work more than I've been home, and the wife was daily-ing the Lexus, which prevented any real work other than maintenance. At this point, however, I've decided that the LX is likely gonna take center stage. The K30 is going to be a frame off, time intensive resto mod, wheras the LX is going to be a quick and dirty job with an emphasis on useability. So I've began re-researching and ordering parts to get the job done.

20220725_182325.jpg

20220121_172536.jpg

Just for fun, lots of time has gone into building this 12 valve for the K30, as well as the trans. But that's another story

Back to the Lexus. Having bought the springs for the lift over a year ago, I just need the supporting components to get it done. Lifting the rig will be the first step, hopefully done through January/February. What I've come up with for requirements are the rear panhard bracket from DVS, front caster plates, sway bar drop links front and back, front adjustable panhard bar, and rear upper adjustable control arms. I will also be rebuilding the front axle with new Birfs at this time, as they've been clicking for a while. I will also be searching for driveshafts to have modified for the lift, if I recall an early Tacoma shaft can be modified with a double cardan for the front, and a Tundra shaft can be modified for the rear. That's all phase 1.

For the next part, I will be needing to rebuild the NV4500 with the proper mainshaft to mate to the HF2AV already in the Lexus. The transmission is already taken down, so I'll be rebuilding it in the shop with a shaft sourced from Adventure Vehicles Northwest, and a locally sourced bearing and synchro kit. This I plan to do over March, if the timeline stays true (it won't). I'll also be doing a reseal of the engine while it's on the shop floor, as well as some basic modifications to fuelling. I'll be installing a 3200k governor spring, a dynamic timing advance spacer, and maybe a set of mild injectors. The goal for this engine is 250 horse at absolute max, I don't plan to move into the realm of needing headstuds and valve springs. Phase 2. I'm also considering rebuilding the Lexus transfer case. It shows no signs of failure, but it has over 400,000 km on it, and it will be easy with it already being out. I intend to keep the all wheel drive feature, as that's one of my favorite parts about these trucks.

Phase 3 is the actual swapping of the guts of the cruiser, and I have no timeline for that right now. I've religiously read threads by Wheelingnoob and Dirty Koala, which I feel apply better to my situation, as well as a dozens of other swap threads. I will not be using a body lift, and I hope to be able to retain the A/C compressor in the stock Dodge location, down by the passenger frame rail. I've read mixed comments on this being feasible or not, and worst case I'll borrow the high mount set up from my Chevy build, but I don't want to. I'll be making my own engine mounts, either utilising stock first or second gen isolators, I'll decide once I'm in there. I plan to use an He351 turbo I have already on the shelf, down to a 3" exhaust turbo back. Maybe a small muffler if there's space. I intend to install a charge air cooler in the same manner as Wheelingnoob, I like how slick that is. I plan to run electric fans for cooling, so rad clearance won't have to be a huge consideration. I also intend to use a Saginaw power steering pump with remote reservoir from a mid 80's chevy quarebody, to avoid clearance issues with the steering gear on the frame.

Lots of other considerations, but these are the big ones for now

Collected a pile of parts over the last few months, just about ready to get the lift in this thing.

Picked up a clutch pedal assembly form a fella from the Canadian 80 series facebook page, great community on there
20221211_160817.jpg

The rear panhard bracket came in from DVS
20221211_160844.jpg

Also got a big box of front end parts from Australia. New bushings for the rear panhard, new adjustable front panhard, complete front end rebuild kit with bearings and Birfs, and front sway bar extensions
20221211_160900.jpg

I have a set of radius arm lowering brackets on the way from Eimkieth, looked a good deal into correcting front caster and this seemed like the best option for what I need. Would love to do a long arm setup but I can't justify that right now. Also need to sort out rear upper control arms, extensions for the rear sway bar, brake lines and a front driveshaft, at the least

Not much to report, build is going along at a snails pace. Trying to decide on a set of adjustable trailing arms for the rear, then I'll be throwing in the lift. I've grown quite fond of the stock height, but I've gathered that at least 3" of lift is needed for the 12 valve. I did throw on some new rims, though, picked up some 17x9 steelies wrapped in an old set of 33x12.5s I had lying around. They don't rub on turns, and I haven't bottomed them out yet, so that's pretty cool. Been eying up the long arm kit from Mechfab Industries out of Australia, pretty pricey, but I have money to burn and it looks like a way better solution than caster correction plates or bushings.

I have also pretty much decided to ditch the NV4500 in favor of an automatic trans. I'm thinking of pairing a Dodge 48Re with a standalone controller, seems like it will fit a bit better, and I have my trucks to drive if I want to row gears. Just not sure yet on what adaptor to run to mate the HF2AV to it. More research in my future

20230220_173826.jpg

Not much to report, build is going along at a snails pace. Trying to decide on a set of adjustable trailing arms for the rear, then I'll be throwing in the lift. I've grown quite fond of the stock height, but I've gathered that at least 3" of lift is needed for the 12 valve. I did throw on some new rims, though, picked up some 17x9 steelies wrapped in an old set of 33x12.5s I had lying around. They don't rub on turns, and I haven't bottomed them out yet, so that's pretty cool. Been eying up the long arm kit from Mechfab Industries out of Australia, pretty pricey, but I have money to burn and it looks like a way better solution than caster correction plates or bushings.

I have also pretty much decided to ditch the NV4500 in favor of an automatic trans. I'm thinking of pairing a Dodge 48Re with a standalone controller, seems like it will fit a bit better, and I have my trucks to drive if I want to row gears. Just not sure yet on what adaptor to run to mate the HF2AV to it. More research in my future

View attachment 3279090
Any consideration in using a 4BT / 4L80E combo?

Any consideration in using a 4BT / 4L80E combo?
The 4bt not so much, they're really hard to find around me and when they pop up, they're bloody pricey. Plus, I already have the 6 bt. As for the 4L80e, I haven't put much thought into it, I just picked a 48Re so it's a Dodge to Dodge matchup. I should look into the 80 and see what it takes to adapt to an HF2A

Well. I did the adventure vehicles NW adapter for the toyota T-case to NV4500, and then got a SD dana 60 high pinion front axle cut and swapped over to match the passenger side output of the HF2A case. The swap involved shortened and resplined inner shaft to match the rear axle width (14 bolt out back)

As opposed to the t-caser adapter costs, Its actually maybe not much more costlier to swap in the t-case that comes on the dodge trans, and then swap axles while your at it... If you want to cut off the brackets that came on the 80's axles and graft them to one ton axles from a donor.

Ya it is a bunch more work, but then you also get upgraded brakes, stronger axles, you can swap the radius arms to the top of the front axles or 3 link, and stronger options for high steer. The toyota power steering box is easy to drill/tap and swap some seals for hydro assist if you want while your at it.

Note: possible that fuel tank swap or mods might be neccesary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom