'97 LX Ground Up Build, Cummins (1 Viewer)

Lexus 7.jpg

Wasn't planning on purchasing an engine until the spring, but I came across this one for a price I couldn't pass up. Lower km, 1992 intercooled, from an auto truck. So the first order of business is to pull and sell all the pieces I'm not going to need on the swap. Not going to need the current turbo, flex plate, trans adaptor, starter, trans cooler, and possibly the fan. I have a timing spacer to install on the injection pump, tackle the KDP, clean it up and do a reseal on it

Lexus 8.jpg

Always wanted to do quad headlights on this build, but had written them off as any North American retailer wanted what I consider too much to justify. Luckily, I found someone on an Aussie 80 series Facebook page who was selling a set privately. They just arrived today, can't wait to install these!

View attachment 2580033

Always wanted to do quad headlights on this build, but had written them off as any North American retailer wanted what I consider too much to justify. Luckily, I found someone on an Aussie 80 series Facebook page who was selling a set privately. They just arrived today, can't wait to install these!
I have a set of these coming for my Lexus, can’t wait to get the installed. They are quite hard to find!

So a big update after lots of nothing. Picked up an NV4500, bought a core for a pretty good price. Previous owner put in ATF+4 and cooked the synchros. He told me some of the gear teeth broke, too. Picked it up in the Lexus

Lexus15.jpg

Started pulling it all down, I forgot how easy these were after messing with NV5600s all the time these last few years

Lexus11.jpg

Couldn't find any damage to the gears, but the case had quite a few metal pieces in it. Someone has been in here before, the tranny has an updated 5th gear nut, this nut likes to back off and drop 5th gear in stock form

lexus9.jpg

Finally found a blown up flat roller bearing on one of the mainshaft gears

Lexus14.jpg

The mainshaft would probably be reusable if I needed too, but I need a mainshaft splined for the Toyota case anyway, so I'm not too bummed out about it

Lexus12.jpg

So that's how it sits, now that I have a good idea what parts I need to order, I can start pulling the bearings and synchros and the gears off the main shaft. Probably gonna be a few weeks out on ordering the new shaft, with the Canadian to US conversion it's a real killer price wise, haha

I pulled my AA adapter (nv4500) for the part time t case and have the chopped output shaft and t-case if your interested. Also got some wheels spacers to put up in kijiji

I pulled my AA adapter (nv4500) for the part time t case and have the chopped output shaft and t-case if your interested. Also got some wheels spacers to put up in kijiji
Definitely interested, I'll shoot ya a message

Did a little filler project while waiting for my transmission parts to come in. Also ordered a top and bottom end reseal for the engine, might as well replace all the seals I can get at while it's on the floor. In the meantime, I got my quad lights installed with the arrival of a Yota grill. I love the look, they're aimed as well as they can be for having 3 different lights out of the set of 4, haha. Looking for a nice set of 4x6 housings and bulbs. I personally hate LEDs

Lexus16.jpg

Made another trip to pick up a bellhousing for the 4500, turns out the fella had a lot of things I’d need to track down eventually. Just adding to the pile for now

DB8CF6EA-8D0C-4116-B471-9D2CADE0B19D.jpeg

I’m thinking about running the Amsoil synthetic (GL-4) in mine after the reassembly/rebuild. Curious as to what you will use
I've been using Redline MTL in my NV5600 in my Dodge for almost 100,000 km, and no complaints. So I may stay with redline for the 4500, too. I think it's MT-85 or something. Alternatively, ACDelco used to make a fluid called "Manual Transmission Fluid", used that in some Dodges I used to have with no issues either. Haven't seen it in a while, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom