97 fzj80 wont start; request help with FAQ quick guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I went out to the garage just now and the truck wont start.

When I turn the key the engine is turning but or maybe just the starter motor is running. Its way more than just a click but seems less than the engine actually turning. The sound is as if the engine it turning but its sort of high pitched like a smaller motor is what is turning (hence the starter hypothesis).

I took a quick looks at this link but I'm still not certain of where to start: Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures - FAQ Item (Recommend Keeping Copy in Truck)

Anyone recognize this specific scenario? I have a fusible link, EFI relay and fuel pump relay all on hand (for just such an occasion) but my search is finding that mostly guys are experiencing a turn the key and click.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Relevant info: truck has been sitting about 1 week; it has more than half a tank of fuel. The battery positive lead wasn't that tight but it is now (still nothing). :meh:

Thanks in advance for any replies! :steer::steer::steer:

-- Beej

Knowing whether the starter is engaging the ring gear and turning the engine over is pertinent information.

Have you verified battery voltage value?

How does one determine if starter is engaging the ring gear? Would this be something to look up in the FSm?

Battery is 1 year old. Interstate battery.

If the fan turns, the engine is turning.

The age of your battery has nothing to do with its present state of charge.

Last edited:
It's running again. Used my hillbilly instincts and stamped on the gas and she came back to me.

I guess it wasnt getting fuel!

So, she cranks but won't fire. Correct? Do all the normal dash lights illuminate when the key is turned to "on"? Check the ign fuse. Third one down on the right hand side of the interior fuse panel. IIRC

Thanks for your help @baldilocks

Any theories on what could've been the culprit here? I've got a big trip coming up. Wondering if I need to add a little PM to the to-do list

I haven't a clue.
Thanks for your help @baldilocks

Any theories on what could've been the culprit here? I've got a big trip coming up. Wondering if I need to add a little PM to the to-do list

It's running again. Used my hillbilly instincts and stamped on the gas and she came back to me.

I guess it wasnt getting fuel!

Stomping on the gas pedal would not have anything to do with fuel delivery. Your vehicle is fuel injected.

The only possible effect would have been to have moved the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

IF you can see the engine cooling fan moving when you crank the engine then the starter bendix DID engage the ring gear and the engine is turning over (cranking), but not necessarily at full speed if your battery is not fully charged and ALL connections are not good.

It is also possible the first time you cranked it, the starter bendix did NOT engage the ring gear, which will result in a distinct 'whirring' sound but the engine will not turn over (crank).

Check your battery voltage after the engine has been shut down and the unit has rested a couple of hours and let us know what it is. (use a multimeter set on DC voltage).

Then start the engine and check the voltage at the positive battery lead and see what it is. Should be able to tell if your alternator is charging.

As previously stated, the age of your battery has absolutely nothing to do with its condition. I've seen bad batteries right off the delivery truck.

IMG_4564.PNG

You may have jostled a connector ::just right:: in all this.

With your location, I'd personally break out the dielectric or whit lithium grease & go through the engine bay & use a small flat screwdriver on any corroded terminals, scrape off any "fuzz" & give each socket a little love - it takes the little screwdriver for undoing some tabs anyhow so it'll do dual duty, the grease will keep out future fuzz & waterproof the sockets too.

Also, the battery terminals might either be loose or had some corrosion on them, a wire toothbrush on the battery posts & your harness terms will only do them good & grease keeps the corrosion from forming.

Yes - I'm the resident 'grease your harness' -guy here. :cool:

It takes time but it stabilizes any quirks you otherwise get from time to time. Plus it gives you time to eyeball any funky situations that are trying to bite you in the butt.

Listen for pump wind an don't forget regulTor I would do them regardless if dirt old. Amazon denso part number an buy sep the screen an if needed the north Korean model in yota catalog is correct rubber foot on pump 1fz. Check for belt rotation an feed amps. check parts geek an Amazon for denso starter I believe relay is on kic panel upper driver side for fuel pump. Buy dense 1 like 17 bucs. Rem to the ignition cylinders go bad too I'm good wit the land an yota tech

When u get it running in check your wires too an replace all that dirt s*** it eliminates a lot of problems.

With your location, I'd personally break out the dielectric or whit lithium grease & go through the engine bay & use a small flat screwdriver on any corroded terminals, scrape off any "fuzz" & give each socket a little love - it takes the little screwdriver for undoing some tabs anyhow so it'll do dual duty, the grease will keep out future fuzz & waterproof the sockets too.

Yes - I'm the resident 'grease your harness' -guy here. :cool:

It takes time but it stabilizes any quirks you otherwise get from time to time. Plus it gives you time to eyeball any funky situations that are trying to bite you in the butt.

I have done this! Mainly after reading about guys driving through water and shorting stuff out.

Stomping on the gas pedal would not have anything to do with fuel delivery. Your vehicle is fuel injected.

The only possible effect would have been to have moved the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

IF you can see the engine cooling fan moving when you crank the engine then the starter bendix DID engage the ring gear and the engine is turning over (cranking), but not necessarily at full speed if your battery is not fully charged and ALL connections are not good.

It is also possible the first time you cranked it, the starter bendix did NOT engage the ring gear, which will result in a distinct 'whirring' sound but the engine will not turn over (crank).

Check your battery voltage after the engine has been shut down and the unit has rested a couple of hours and let us know what it is. (use a multimeter set on DC voltage).

Then start the engine and check the voltage at the positive battery lead and see what it is. Should be able to tell if your alternator is charging.

As previously stated, the age of your battery has absolutely nothing to do with its condition. I've seen bad batteries right off the delivery truck.
This is great information. Thank you. I think the battery may indeed have had a bad connection. I had been on the fence about ordering a cable kit from @Fourrunner . This incident made up my mind. My terminals are terrible; not corroded just warn and bent and so on.

Last edited:
They filmed Cool Hand Luke 1/4 mile from my house when I was a boy. I rode my bike over and watched a lot of the filming. We played in the prison camp for years until the city of Stockton finally grew next to the oak grove and they made a park out of it. Thought you'd like to know.

They filmed Cool Hand Luke 1/4 mile from my house when I was a boy. I rode my bike over and watched a lot of the filming. We played in the prison camp for years until the city of Stockton finally grew next to the oak grove and they made a park out of it. Thought you'd like to know.

Admit it, you just went down there to see 'Lucille' (Joy Harmon). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom