97 1fzfe smoking from back passenger side of engine with heater on doing radiator flush......? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if this is a cooling system related issue? I have a good bit of oil that has made its way across the engine block from leaks on the front I suspect, which I have the parts to fix and will as well, but started a coolant flush and turned the heater on to proceed. Noticed a good bit of white smoke from the back passenger side of the engine. Took a video. Any ideas? Just burning oil from the heat? Apologies if i missed a thread on this. Searched prior to asking. Thanks! Any idea how to post the video? Its an mp4 but wont ket me attach it.

What does the smoke smell like? If it has a sweet smell, it cohld be coolant steaming out from a heater hose leak. If it smells more acrid (strong), it could just be engine oil burning off of the exhaust manifold. My bet is that its engine oil, as that may be happening all the time, but when you're driving, the airflow carries that under the car and away from the vehicle. Whatever it is, the heat rising there from the manifold is carrying it up the firewall.

What does the smoke smell like? If it has a sweet smell, it cohld be coolant steaming out from a heater hose leak. If it smells more acrid (strong), it could just be engine oil burning off of the exhaust manifold. My bet is that its engine oil, as that may be happening all the time, but when you're driving, the airflow carries that under the car and away from the vehicle. Whatever it is, the heat rising there from the manifold is carrying it up the firewall.
Think you nailed it. I did the second water only flush portion a bit ago and it looked very much like the engine oil coming off the exhaust manifold. Damn oil leaks! I need to pull the engine but......pffffff. effort lol.

You should think very seriously about changing the heater control valve, its brown. When turn brown, they can self destruct with a dirty look.
You might also want to get those wires in a loom, keep them from rubbing on sharp corners or you might find yourself driving something like this:
1658511113341.png

Thanks for the heads up. It's in my cart now! The wiring was a quick fix to move an alarm siren. Definitely need the loom on it.

Went all in on changing hoses, heater, valve cooling system flush etc. Saw this open ended connection today doing th4 stuff along the firewall. Looked at the coolant flow diagram from joey@witsend and couldn't see if it's supposed to connect or if it's an over pressurization valve of some kind. Any help is appreciated. Just want to make sure I haven't pulled something off and when I fill up with coolant and start it I don't have a short lived coolant fountain.

Is the end open? Feel it with a little finger.

There's a pipe in the RHD Aussie models that looks like it goes somewhere and should have a hose on it, but it's sealed at the bottom

It's a blind end with a cap soldered in place, it doesn't go anywhere. There are two side pipes soldered to the down pipe that face the firewall. Top pipe goes back toward the firewall for the main heater pipe that comes through the wall. The bottom pipe is 1/2" for the rear heater pipe connection on that side.

For 80 series that didn't come from the factory with a rear heater there's a similar pipe assembly but with only the top 1/2" side pipe, AFAIK. FWIW

Photos below from a US spec FZJ80 which had the rear heater circuit:

FZJ80 water heater pipe bottom view.png

FZJ80 water heater pipe firewall.png

Last edited:
Roger thanks for the recommendations and info. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom