’94: Rough idle and quits. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This condition just started yesterday morning:

I went out to start the LC for the first time that morning and it started up fine. Though during warm up I noticed that RPM dropped off a couple tenths then kicked back up to normal idle speed. The drop off would last a second or two at a time and occurred a couple times during warm up. Didn’t think too much of it as I had to get somewhere pretty quick. Well, a couple blocks away at a light I stepped on the gas to accelerate and the engine quit! Stalled in the middle of the intersection, I turned the key to OFF and tried to restart the engine. No luck! After the third time the engine came to life and I pulled off on another street and shut it off. After doing a cursory check under the hood, I turned it back on. No problem. Went off and did my business the rest of the day with no problem.

That night sometime after 9pm after the truck was sitting for 5 hours. I started it up cold and noticed the same RPM drop off a few times during warm up. Though, this time it did not stall. After about 30 minutes of driving went into a store came back out and it did the same thing. It quit during acceleration like in the morning. Got it going on the first retry and took her home.

This morning (today), it started up just fine but quit a block down the road at an intersection during acceleration. This time it would not restart. Had to push it off to the side. Finally after about the 10th try it got going. Turned around and went back home. It’s been raining the past few days, really could not do too much too work on it being I don’t have a garage.

-It’s cranking fine. The starter is strong.
-When its running, it runs good and strong like it normally does. Before this started happening yesterday, it was running perfectly as far as I could tell.
-Seems when its good and warmed up, there is no trouble at acceleration at anytime.
-Had Toyota do a full 90,000 mile major service right after I purchased it. They said it was in excellent condition.
-Before I bought it, brought it over to a Toyota dealer for inspection and they gave it thumbs up.
-So far, only time it seems to happen, is when I cold start it. Like I said, when it’s good and warmed up there’s no trouble.

What could be wrong?
Anyone experience this same thing?
Any help would be appreciated before I start poking around after it stops raining.

Thanks.

Welcome to a very private club. I was going to update my older post as I have the same problem with my 96. I ended up gettting a CEL which pointed to a bad O2 sensor which I did replace but just this morning it happened again.

I've also replaced the EFI Main relay since it was cheap.

How many miles on your truck.

My present thought is it's the fuel pump but haven't got a price on it as of yet.

Your's seems worse than mine so maybe I'll wait for you to fix your's first. :flipoff2:

My '94 has 90K on it.

Interesting story unfolding here. I had the Clifford G5 installed right after I bought the truck almost 2 months ago.

The G5 interfaces with the starter and ignition. It has what's called the auto-immobilization feature. Anyhow, when the G5 is armed, the immobilization circuits activiate and engage the starter and igniition interrupt.

I was just in the LC and happened to arm the G5. The blue LED started to flash indicating its armed, but with each flash I could here a switch or solenoid click behind the dash. That was a big hint right there! The LED normally flashes quietly with no noise or clicking or anything that accompanies each flash. I then disarmed and armed again and noticed the doors did not lock. Also, the auto-arm feature did not arm after 30 seconds. Another few big f'ckin' hints. These last couple days, my doors haven't been locked at night?!!! Anyhow, the big suspect is the ALARM malfunctioning. With it raining and all I suspect condesate/moisture/rain is causing the malfunction in the security system. Specifically with the starter and ignition circuitry in the security module. Maybe enough moisture has accumulated to cause this to happen in the security module.

-The thing is... how do I get the LC to the alarm place to get them to fix without paying for a tow?

Went out again to reassure myself it was the alarm malfunctioning.... yeah, it's the alarm malfunctioning. Now, when armed, there's an audible chirp that coincides with the flash of the LED. That definitely is not supposed to be happening.

The thing's all messed up.

I'd call the alarm install place and have them come fix it or they can pay for the tow. You paid them to install a good on your vehicle and the good is no good. They have to make right on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom