94 Died on freeway, no start, no spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I'm about out of ideas here, so I figured I'd ask you folks. My wife was driving my 94 LC (280k miles) down the freeway when it lost power. She sputtered to the side of the road and turned it off, then tried to start it again, no luck. We ended up having it towed home, and there it's sat.

So far, here's what I've found:

I have no spark clear back to the coil, but I do have power going to the coil. I checked resistances on the coil, and they seemed to be within spec.

Check engine light comes on when the key is on, but not started.

All fuses and relays check out. I've replaced the EFI relay and fuse, even though they seemed ok.

Coil and plug wires looked pretty crappy and i believe they were original, so I bought a set. I've only put on the coil wire so far, but no change.

The distributor was obviously leaking oil pretty bad, so I replaced it. I may be off on timing, because I don't have a light right now, but I still have no spark whatsoever.

What's left? I can just start replacing stuff, but some of these parts are pretty hard to find, not to mention expensive.

I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.

Hi everyone,

I'm about out of ideas here, so I figured I'd ask you folks. My wife was driving my 94 LC (280k miles) down the freeway when it lost power. She sputtered to the side of the road and turned it off, then tried to start it again, no luck. We ended up having it towed home, and there it's sat.

So far, here's what I've found:

I have no spark clear back to the coil, but I do have power going to the coil. I checked resistances on the coil, and they seemed to be within spec.

Check engine light comes on when the key is on, but not started.

All fuses and relays check out. I've replaced the EFI relay and fuse, even though they seemed ok.

Coil and plug wires looked pretty crappy and i believe they were original, so I bought a set. I've only put on the coil wire so far, but no change.

The distributor was obviously leaking oil pretty bad, so I replaced it. I may be off on timing, because I don't have a light right now, but I still have no spark whatsoever.

What's left? I can just start replacing stuff, but some of these parts are pretty hard to find, not to mention expensive.

I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.
Have you checked the ignitor? That is the one item in the system you have not mentioned. I'm no expert, just looking @ the FSM for my '91... Good luck!

The 94 doesn't have an ignitor like the 91. Different engine.

Do you have a CEL with the engine off, key in RUN position?
Did it run out of gas?
Does the fuel pump run if bypassed on the relay?
Have you checked your fusible links?
Have you unscrewed the two little screws and yanked on the wiring harness on the AFM/MAF/Whatever on the intake hose next to the air cleaner? If you didn't - Don't!

Do you have a copy of the FSM? There is a troubleshooting process in there as well.

Go to the stickies on this for the emergency troubleshooting procedure. Sounds like you need it.

Could be fusible link, old malfunctioning alarm, etc. Mine did something identical once and I found that I had no power to the ecu fuse. Just ran a jumper to it until my fusible link arrived. In the meantime I ripped out the alarm. Replaced the fusible link and then all was good. Are you sure you have power to this fuse

15256557088546502084093689617416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom