93 RN105r Hilux, 1jzgte radiator/cooling system upgrade, Expansion tank plumbing Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of changing the cooling system up in my hilux, It has a 1jz vvti out of a jzx100, Currently using a slightly modified v6 4runner rad with 2 Spal 12" pusher fans in front and is just not doing the job!

I've found a 2000 MR2 Spyder 3 core ally radiator that with some mods to rad support will fit under the top bar on the rad support, core size works out slightly larger than what i currently have and will allow me to mount 2 12" puller fans inbetween the motor and rad with a shroud, Should end up very neat and will leave enough room that i can reinstate my aircon YESS as before the temp would creep 1 degree at a time whilst driving until i had to turn it off,

Going this route will mean the radiator will be lower than the engine and i will need an expansion tank up higher in the engine bay, Does anyone have experience with plumbing Expansion tanks into cars that never had one?,

I've attached a photo of where i think the large hose from the bottom of the expansion tank should go, But the other line from the top of the expansion tank is the one i'm not sure where to go with, Would i tap and fit an outlet on the top radiator outlet on the head near the thermostat? so hot fluid and air can go to the top of the expansion tank and then return to the "cold" side of the radiator (top of rad fitting circled in photo) is my thinking

Going to delete my second battery for the moment and make a new aluminium airbox where the battery currently is and make the Header/expansion tank and mount it where the airbox currently is,

Also chucked a couple of photos of the rig to have a look at

Cheers

Hilux.jpg

Hilux radiator.jpg

Radiator .jpg

Cool rig!
I am not sure you will need an expansion tank. I have seen many people add a bleeder to the upper heater hose on the firewall as it is often the high point of the cooling system....

Why the expansion tank?

Thanks Mate! Its my labour of love.......blood, sweat and anger haha

The top of the radiator will be under the top rail of the rad support so quite a bit lower than the top of the head, The heater hoses are quite high up though i understand what you mean, But the rad also doesnt have a radiator cap either so i thought i would i need an expansion tank to not only get a volume of water up above the head but also for filling the rad aswell,

Thanks for the reply mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom