93 KZJ78 Alucab Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently sold our 21 Bronco Wildtrak after finding this. Digging it so far and minimal issues!

Any help on these is greatly appreciated

- Rear taillights are LED and one is out, replacements?
- Floor has been swapped out for a cheap leathery material and its horrendous, anyone swapped in new carpet and have a recommend on best fit for this JDM models?
- Driver side Front triangle bits of the headlights is out, anywhere that sells amber ones?
- Is Dobinson bush bumper (ARB style) compatible with these models? They have said it is but I've heard otherwise.
- Good contact for 4x4labs? I wanna update the rear swing outs with a modular panel on one side and have the tire carrier side closer to the door/uncanted.
- Small seeping bit of oil from the back left of the valve cover, from the gasket. how much of a job am I looking at to fix this anyone done it or recommend a shop?
- Anyone swapped in LED headlights? these ****ers are CANDLES and 4x4labs bumper does not have any mounting space for my LP9s
- Scheelmans fit in these models and anyone got a confirmed bracket that works? stock seats need swapped soon as its our adventure truck and my daily

70 series purchase inspired by military service, if you shoot/larp/etc post your 2A pics with your cruiser below!
If your on the East coast and wanna camp/wheel/shoot together @tomtuckertravels or @TentsandTread on IG shoot me a DM

DSC06348.jpg

DSC06373.jpg

Also Compressor is on it's last legs she squeeeels if I try to run it. Connections in Japan or states for one are also very appreciated!

Nice rig! In answer to some of your questions:
- LED tail lights are available aftermarket, I have a set in my LJ78 but not sure where to get them; I got them used.
- A 77-series owner on here recently got some rear carpet for their rig, search around and see what they got. New carpets for a 76-series should also fit with possible minor modifications.
- Those front corner lamps are known as "cornering lamps" for the JDM market, they have a dual element bulb that comes on low beam when the headlights are on, then on high beam on whichever side you turn on a turn signal. I doubt amber ones are available since their purpose is to illuminate to the side of the vehicle when turning or merging.
- Dobinsons bumper will fit, and actually fit a bit better than the ARB according @theglobb and @Shyrock. I believe the ARB is built a little sturdier, but requires some modification to fit properly. Here is some more info: Looking for bumper - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/looking-for-bumper.1270390/post-14179262
- Valve cover gasket should be a relatively quick and easy replacement, you should be able to get a replacement stateside from a vendor like Cruiser Outfitters, or from overseas from somewhere like PartSouq or Megazip.
- LED headlights are readily available, these run the standard 5x7 rectangular headlight that was common on many, many vehicles from 20+ years ago. Any generic upgrade kit should work.
- Scheelman seats will fit fine, but may require some modification to the seat bases or a custom adapter to bolt in.

The valve cover gasket is available OEM from many places including ebay. Replacing the gasket is dead easy. A simple search here will get you the English version of the 1KZ-TE FSM which will demystify everything engine related. BTW, judging by your described location, it is possible that the leak is caused by a loose VCV tube and not the valve cover gasket, an even easier fix.

LED headlights conversion is straight forward as well. Some of the available options may require adapting plugs though. Start your quest for the lights with understanding what you already have on the truck.

I don't have an experience finding replacement carpet for a 78, but I have an experience heat molding my own kit out of thermal backed cut pile automotive carpet for an 80 series. Lots of work but the results were completely factory.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice rig! In answer to some of your questions:
- LED tail lights are available aftermarket, I have a set in my LJ78 but not sure where to get them; I got them used.
- A 77-series owner on here recently got some rear carpet for their rig, search around and see what they got. New carpets for a 76-series should also fit with possible minor modifications.
- Those front corner lamps are known as "cornering lamps" for the JDM market, they have a dual element bulb that comes on low beam when the headlights are on, then on high beam on whichever side you turn on a turn signal. I doubt amber ones are available since their purpose is to illuminate to the side of the vehicle when turning or merging.
- Dobinsons bumper will fit, and actually fit a bit better than the ARB according @theglobb and @Shyrock. I believe the ARB is built a little sturdier, but requires some modification to fit properly. Here is some more info: Looking for bumper - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/looking-for-bumper.1270390/post-14179262
- Valve cover gasket should be a relatively quick and easy replacement, you should be able to get a replacement stateside from a vendor like Cruiser Outfitters, or from overseas from somewhere like PartSouq or Megazip.
- LED headlights are readily available, these run the standard 5x7 rectangular headlight that was common on many, many vehicles from 20+ years ago. Any generic upgrade kit should work.
- Scheelman seats will fit fine, but may require some modification to the seat bases or a custom adapter to bolt in.

We definitely stock the valve cover gasket, grommets, water pumps, timing belt kits, belts, hoses, etc @ Cruiser Outfitters. Info@cruiseroutfitters.com

The 77 series owner that bought and installed new carpet is @sleepydad69 and he posted some photos somewhere in his build thread about the install process.

You didn't mention if your KZJ78 has suspension bases or not. If it does, then brackets have to be modified aftermarket JDM brackets+sliders (I used Bride brand in my case). My guess is that the KZJ78 didn't come with suspension bases though so this statement probably doesn't even matter.

Last edited:
The valve cover gasket is available OEM from many places including ebay. Replacing the gasket is dead easy. A simple search here will get you the English version of the 1KZ-TE FSM which will demystify everything engine related. BTW, judging by your described location, it is possible that the leak is caused by a loose VCV tube and not the valve cover gasket, an even easier fix.

LED headlights conversion is straight forward as well. Some of the available options may require adapting plugs though. Start your quest for the lights with understanding what you already have on the truck.

I don't have an experience finding replacement carpet for a 78, but I have an experience heat molding my own kit out of thermal backed cut pile automotive carpet for an 80 series. Lots of work but the results were completely factory.

Cheers!
Good to know, still waiting to see if previous owner YotaImports is going to send one over as they usually would check for these items etc..

fairly certain it is the gasket as its seeping right from that corner bit.

Great to hear about the LED conversion likely will hit up JW Speaker as I have a previous partnership with them or maybe Trucklite as I do enjoy the look of their option and they seem to be one of the 3ish that are worth their weight.

Nice rig!

I had recently emailed Scheelmann for a quote for my LJ79, they asked for photos of my rails and said I would need brackets 0535051
Nice rig as well, Coastal Imports bumper? If so how does the winch work on those its the only other front bumper I have considered! Also love the wider look of the fender extensions but how do they fasten to the fender?

I will shoot yall an email, any possibility yall have compressors for the A/C or am I likley Yahoo Auctioning something like that through a buddy based in JPN haha

We've just started stocking AC parts and compressors starting with the common US stuff and some of the more popular diesel varieties. Ping the parts team with your model code and frame number and they verify if we have. Thanks!

Nice rig as well, Coastal Imports bumper? If so how does the winch work on those its the only other front bumper I have considered! Also love the wider look of the fender extensions but how do they fasten to the fender?

Thanks! Both bumpers are custom made and fender flares are from factory, they are fixed using brackets riveted to the body, then the flares are bolted to them from the underside.

Thanks! Both bumpers are custom made and fender flares are from factory, they are fixed using brackets riveted to the body, then the flares are bolted to them from the underside.
Need to get that done, looks so much cleaner.

Great work on the bumpers, you did them yourself or commissioned a local shop?

Need to get that done, looks so much cleaner.

Great work on the bumpers, you did them yourself or commissioned a local shop?

Thanks! yeah did them myself.

Just noticing you have no rock sliders, I'd suggest adding those to your list too if you like adventuring offroad, they definitely saved mine from a couple bruises.

Updates:

New side indicators
New Cornering lights (still need to paint them black to match)
New front Indicators
New Taillights

New KO3 33x12.5R17s

New Black Rhino Chamber Wheels

Found out the 4x4 also didn't work so swapped to manual hubs

Still on the hunt for a compressor, using some JP contacts

Old fifteen52 wheels and the new wildpeak falken 33x10.5 tires for sale 1850

4x4 labs front and rear bumpers for sale 2500 for both. (Dobinson going on end of July)

Verified to fit KZJ78 1993 carpet hunt is on if anyones got leads

DSC06694.jpg

So had a wheel bearing go out and it took the entire passenger side of the axel with it... 2600$ after parts and labor.. very fun...

BUT I Also got this done over the weekend!! CONFIRMED DOBINSONS bumpers CAN fit on the KZJ78/JPN models
DSC06698-Pano.jpg

DSC06708-Pano.jpg

DSC06716.jpg

DSC06724.jpg

DSC06723.jpg

Nice!

That Dobinson rear bumper looks so much like a Kaymar. Does it mate up to the OEM flaps or did you leave them off on purpose?

You will love the metal protection on the side. Much better than the plastic OEM cladding IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom