'93 FZJ80 overheating when the heat is ON (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it down to the block:

20180406_202211.jpg

Nothing obviously wrong. The #1 piston dome cleaned up REALLY nice, way better than the rest.

All of my pistons have 40 stamped on them, replacement pistons that are .40 over?

Still evident cross-hatching on the cylinder walls, and everything looked pretty good. I did have a strange silvery film covering almost all of my coolant passages. Not sure if it's from the previous HG or maybe some stop leak in the coolant system?

Here's after the cleanup:

20180406_210555.jpg

And final shot of the night, new CH installed and getting ready for reassembly:

20180407_011132.jpg

At this point it was almost 2am Friday night / sat morning. Time to call it!

Sat AM was running to pick up some parts and tools, and then get back to it. I had a few moments of internal debate on Friday re: the intake manifold but finally decided to cut it. Then sat I spent some time with the sander cleaning that up:

20180407_151929.jpg

Ultimately I am glad I cut it, as the alternative is such a PITA.

I got much of the d-side done, fixing and cleaning things as I went and then had a sons football game.

By the time I got home from that and back at it we had past the 9pm mark. I finished buttoning up the d-side around 1230:

20180408_001238.jpg

Felt like I was closing in on the home stretch! The p-side is so much easier, probably only a couple hours left at this point.

I spent a out an hour trying to get the EGR reinstalled, with zero success. I only accomplished losing that gasket somewhere in the bowels of my engine bay :bang:.

I moved on to something else, and tried to reattach my brake booster hose. It was REALLY crusty, and split all down the side upon installation.:censor:

No replacement hoses available, so at that point I called it a night.

Anyone have suggestions or tricks to getting the EGR on the pipe AND on the TB? I was unsuccessful.

Good to see you making this progress and finding two separate problems at the same time. Did you paint the valve cover, it looks great.

Good to see you making this progress and finding two separate problems at the same time. Did you paint the valve cover, it looks great.
Yep, painted rustoleum metallic silver.

Wanted to let you know on your climate control issue where it goes from hot to cold and Back Again. I struggled with this problem as well until I re-soldered the four pins that hold the hot cold slider to the board in the climate control. They had small cracks in them, have not had an issue since

After taking a step away I was able to think about my EGR issue. Several 1/2" extensions and I was able to 'massage' the pipe into a better position and it went right on.

I threw on the TB and then moved to the p-side and the exhaust manifolds. I got them in with a little finagling.

20180413_135842.jpg

Then wrapped it all up, dropped in ~4 gallons of distilled water and turned it over a few times without the high tension wire attached to get oil moving.

After a few revolutions I hooked up the wire and hit the starter. And.......

It fired instantly!

Whew!

It ran super smoothly. I fiddled with the dizzy just to make sure the timing was spot on, but ended up leaving it exactly where I had it initially.

I checked it top-to-bottom and found no fluid leaks of any kind, yay!

Took it for a spin around the block and it immediately spiked the temp, so took it back and parked it. I topped off the water and let it sit for the night.

Finished product:

20180413_170246.jpg

Took my eldest out rock climbing this morning. It was an hour drive there, dropping deep into a gorge.

A challenging drive out, and the exact condition that previously led to overheating. The temp never got above 195*. Beautiful!

Good day climbing too :bounce:

It drives super well, much quieter and I believe I have solved my overheating issue and at least one of my leaks.

I do have an exhaust leak somewhere though. I can hear it under load, but haven't been able to find any signs of where it is. Checked all of my manifold bolts and they're tight. Next step is to check the rest of the exhaust fasteners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom