'92 FJ80 brakes dragging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent a lot of time reading through the forum trying to get to the bottom of a brake issue I'm having. Long story short the front brakes are building pressure. The car hasn't been driven much in the last 10 years so it has some bugs to work out. Brakes seem to be the big one.

When the car has sat for a while, lets say overnight, and I get in the brakes feel great. Car drives great etc. After a short drive on the freeway it'll start to shimmy and you cab tell the brakes are dragging and building pressure. Pull over and the front wheels (both) feel hot. Rears are cool. Pulling the reservoir lid of does nothing and neither does pulling the booster hose. I can push the brake pedal really hard and get them to free up for a little while.

I've replaced all flexible lines and the front calipers. Also replaced the proportioning valve.

The brake pedal doesn't slowly sink and the pedal does't feel soft/mushy.

The pedal hight is adjusted to spec as is the pushrod between booster and master.

I'm not missing a return spring and the brake light switch is as short as it can be and seems to work fine.

Rear shoes are at 50%.

Any suggestions for what to look at next?

Thanks

Wheel bearings. Is the shimmy felt in the steering wheel? Is the emergency brake adjusted properly?

The shimmy becomes more pronounced as the brakes start to drag. It's a bit of a droning sound, like faint rumple strips or washboard road. Can't say I feel it too much in the steering wheel… maybe just a bit. By now it could be warped rotors.

Emergency brake takes 7 clicks. I believe the manual says it should be 6.

I noticed when I was repacking the passenger side bearings that I could turn the race in the hub with my fingers, Don't recall if it was the inner or outer. Probably not a good thing in the long run, buy I want to get brakes sorted first.

Do you think that could be causing enough movement and heat to rub pads and boil brake fluid?

Fix the wheel bearings first. You've already determined there is a problem. While you are in there you may see something else as well like a toasted spindle bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom