91 4runner 209K What problems to expect. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm looking at possibly buying a 91 4runner from a friend who got it for free from his mom. It looks really clean inside and out. He has a stack of maintence papers. It has 209K on the original 6. I know that the head gasket has been replaced by the dealership. I'm looking to use this as a DD and so I can park and finish my FJ40. This rig is fully loaded and has a 5spd.
My 2 main questions are What is it worth? and What problems or maintence issues can I expect to encounter? I drive about 25-30K a year. How long will the motor last?
Thanks for your time.
Andy

Not more than 4k depending on how nice, but from a friend that got it for free, I would say not more than 3k. Go through the maint papers and you will see what has already been done. this will give you a good idea of what might go wrong later on. Probably some electrical issues with window switches and starter contacts. CV joints should be looked at if they are original. It will still last awhile if you take it easy while you are driving. If you hot rod it, you will significantly decrease engine longevity. Do a compression test, this will give you a good idea of the motors overalll condition. The fuel economy and power aren't that great, but definately better FE than the 40.
Great rigs.
Good luck,
Dan

I bought mine for $2K. 130K, new engine at 91K due to 3.0 HG issues. Bald tires. Sunroof cables broken. Belts shot. Frozen caliper. Smelled like patcholi oil and dog. Broken antenna. CD player doesn't work. Dented fender. ADD didn't work. Leaky o-rings around speedo cable.

Didn't know some of the stuff, but drove it on a rainy day in the ghetto in Berkeley so I wasn't going to do a thorough analysis. Plus I was planning on going thru it anyways.

I like it. Maybe even more than the 80 as a DD. Everything not mentioned above works, it's the top-o-the-line w/ power everything. I see higher mileage ones like you mentioned above around here advertised for $4K at the minimum.

If your friend & his Mom cared for the truck I think it is a good deal. No rust or bodywork, and having orig. paint would be important to me. I am at 208K miles and still very strong / reliable. Head gasket went at 85k but I caught it right away & no HG problems since. I have owned it since '92.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom