9.5 rear end with 5.29 gears...how much do I need to grind off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jtwopark

live, eat, sleep Land Cruiser!!!
Threads
I am installing detroit lockers and 5.29s

I can't get the third back on to the axle housing.

how much do I need to grind?

does anyone have pictures?

thanks in advancej!

I used a e-locker gasket to template the 1.25 L x 3/8" I ground off the gasket surface on the upper & lower area where the ring gear slides in - I was told you can do some funky install 90* out then rotate when through lip, but I wanted it as factory when I did my e-locker swap.

essentially, if you grind the area the width of your ring gears & stop at the centerline of the bolt flange circle & do it both upper & lower, then I bet it'll drop right in & you'll be fine. I used a die grinder with a HSS bit & it made quick work, also stuffed rags in the cone splash shields & around them to minimize the cleanup area. YMMV

I'm confused - what grinding? I just had my truck re-geared with Nitro 5.29s and didn't have to grind anything. Took a bit of massaging but it slid right back in (that's what she said).

I'm confused - what grinding? I just had my truck re-geared with Nitro 5.29s and didn't have to grind anything. Took a bit of massaging but it slid right back in (that's what she said).

This. My rear didn't require any grinding for 5.29s and ARBs but the front did.

thanks! cardona....it did take a massaging....what did you use to seal it? fipg? or the gasket the kit comes with.....i think mine is leaking.....i torqued the bolts to around 43ft lbs...also did you do the rear seals while you took the axles out? if so..where are those seals and how hard is it to R&R?

thanks! cardona....it did take a massaging....what did you use to seal it? fipg? or the gasket the kit comes with.....i think mine is leaking.....i torqued the bolts to around 43ft lbs...also did you do the rear seals while you took the axles out? if so..where are those seals and how hard is it to R&R?

Yeah I used FIPG. No leaks so far. Didn't do anything with any other seals though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom