87 FJ60 rear sway bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you need to get a sway bar from an fj62 along with the brackets, or manafre sells a beefy sawybar with mounting tabs for the fj60 with no rear sway

never mind, didnt see it was an 87 which has an oem rear sway

Both of my 60's have 62 sway bars. found both here on mud in the parting out section. Hey Pac Swell did you ever fix your temp gauge?

Dynosoar

new sway bars are also available from your dealer. You'll need everything shown on this picture plus the brackets & bolts that hold the bushings onto the axles. The parts are from an FJ62, but they fit the FJ60.
rear sway bar.JPG
rear sway bar parts.JPG

Last edited:
Dyno,
No. I've learned to live with it for now. It seems to be within normal range 1/2 or lightly under 3/4 for most of the time. Occasionally it would freak out and go up to red. I'm going to visit Jim Dickey in Gardena as soon as my 67 Mustang is completely restored hopefully in the next few months.

87 FJ60 did not have a rear sway, but it has the tabs so one can be bolted in. I bought mine from cruiserparts.net for about $150. It had all the parts needed, but it was used - very used. I spent a good deal of time sandblasting it. In hindsight, had I known, I would have bought new from Man A Fre. It's basically the same price as a used one from cruiserparts.

some early 60;s do not have the frame mounts for the sway bar, forge the years but prolly around 84+ should have them

To mount a sway bar on a pre '85 you have to drill 4 holes in the frame (2 on each side) and weld two brackets to the axle (one per side). 2MBB posted measurements to for dilling the hlse (see below)

07-08-06, 05:40 PM #4
2mbb
IH8MUD Lifer

TLCA# 6404

Measuring from the center of the rivet heads on the body mount bracket just behind the rear wheel well, the center of the sway bar bracket holes are 1 3/8" and 1 7/8" respectively for the upper and lower hole. The bracket seems to be centered vertically on the frame rail, but it is angled such that the bracket is almost perpendicular to the curve of the frame rail at that location...I don't think the exact angle is that important since the sway bar link pivots in the bushing.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2mbb : 07-08-06 at 05:47 PM.

LINK TO THREAD

I did this on m '82 and it was not too much work at all. It was well worth it.

Dynosoar

Last edited:
If you really want a rear sway bar, PM me. I have one that I got off a parts rig but never mounted on my '84 (no factory mounts). You can have it for $10 plus shipping. It did come off an east coast rig and needs sand blasting/finishing and new rubber or poly bushings....

The Man-A-Fre sway bar is much more stout, I saw one brand new out of the box.

I too have an '87 and slapped on a sway bar from cruserparts.net. The used bar needed a good sanding, paint, new rubber pieces and bolts.....went on quiet nicely.

An '87 FJ60 is ready to go with the stock installed FJ62 rear sway bar. Seems like the engineers forgot to install the sway bar for a few years hehehe.

may seem like a dumb question but here we go: what exactly does this rear sway bar buy you?

i assume it *might* improve on-road cornering ability?

but off road wouldnt it restrict your rear articulation?

just curious actually...seems kind of worthless actually except on road and then does it really add much?

one love
jah bill

just curious actually...seems kind of worthless actually except on road and then does it really add much?

X-2

may seem like a dumb question but here we go: what exactly does this rear sway bar buy you?

i assume it *might* improve on-road cornering ability?

but off road wouldnt it restrict your rear articulation?

one love
jah bill

Yes. anti-sway bars help with on-road stability: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

For off-road--you can disconnect them. If you do a search, you'll find threads about sway bar quick disconnects. The rear is pretty easy to do (replace one of the bushing bolts with a pin of some sort). The front is a little more complicated, but it's not too difficult to remove the links as you are airing down your tires, etc. at the trail head.

My '60 has a '62ish ('61 really) rear sway bar and it has made a bit of a difference in cornering. The truck feels more stable, has less body roll, and feels less like driving a wet sponge. :)

>My '60 has a '62ish ('61 really) rear sway bar and it has made a bit of a
>difference in cornering. The truck feels more stable, has less body roll, and feels
>less like driving a wet sponge.

huh. that sounds worth investigating then. so do you have quick disconnects, and have you driven off road with it in place and connected?

one love
jah bill

Rear sway bar provides noticeable cornering improvements. Feels much more stable.

rear sway bar

Contact cruiserparts.net and they have the rear swaybar. I bought mine from them and got a very rusted rea bar and links. I cleaned up the bar and order new bushings and extended links from Spector Off Roada dn it was an easy bolt on. I do feel a difference in cornering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom