87' EFI fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I seem to recall my 1982 manual also said the filter was by the tank (22R). Never did find one.

Ya, it's under the intake. Royal PITA. Don't try and take off the hoses with regular wrenchs. Get a set of flare nut wrenches.

great thanks for the advice, changing the f-ing oil filter took a lot of skill and bloody knuckles, ended up pulling the inner fender out. so we're saying the fuel filters stuck under there as well. dam i need some smaller hands!

make sure to remove the + side of you battery. there will be fuel spewing out of the hose once disconnected. the last thing you want is an accidental spark. also, wrap your wrist with old rags. it will stop fuel from running down your arms. trust me, i've done it on my 85 4runner.

jammindubs said:
haha, according to the manuel its by the gas tank, what a bunch of retards

...which it is, on the carbed (22R) trucks. Right on top, very easy to see.

jammindubs said:
changing the f-ing oil filter took a lot of skill and bloody knuckles, ended up pulling the inner fender out.

Ummm, you're working too hard. I pull mine from the top with my eyes closed. I've just gotten used to where it is, and where it goes. I just wish it didn't pour oil over the front axle every time.

I know this is an old therad, but maybe this might help someone coming across this in a search later on...

Yah, like everyone said, its under the intake, above the starter, and to the left of the oil filter (as you'relooking at the side of the motor thru the pass side wheelwell...)

Best bet is to get the 17MM flare nut wrench and LOOSEN, and then snug down the banjo bolts on the filter so the fuel stops leaking BEFORE pulling it off the side of the block....
I learned that the hardway....(Pulled the filter off the block, and when I went to pull the banjos, I couldnt get the leverage on the them cause they were too tight.)

As to the oil filter, I take a 2qt or so Ziploc bag, and put it over the filter, then unscrew it off the block, and let it fall into the bag.....Still gets oil down the side of the block, but not as bad...

My 86 runner w/ 22re has its fuel filter next to the starter on the block (passenger side wheel well access). The V6's have the fuel filter in a different spot (along the passenger side rail).

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I'm changing one on a 1988 right now. I could'nt fing it either. What a great site. Instant tech support. Better than a computer Co. Thanks mudders

What a nasty spot for fuel filter, took way to long.

Did it all from the top.

One thing that is worth sharing, I notched the bottom of the fuel filter mounting bracket through. This way you could attach the bolt and slide the filter over it then snug.

After 20 minutes of struggling it kinda dawned on me to do this.

Makes getting the top bolt on a breese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom