Builds '86 Grand Wagoneer build, wife's rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me too. Went with AMC360 build and fitech kit.

06078F4A-59BA-4D68-8290-6CCBDD764ADA.jpeg

The donor truck, had it been 4WD, what transfer case would it have had? Being a GM IFS truck it would be LHD, but perhaps in danger of being too large to fit under the Cherokee.

I had a '79 Chief for a short while. It was too rusty to save, rode like a tank, drank fuel like a tank, but I loved that truck.

@cruiserinsanity I need to replace the TPS and splice it into the new transmission controller. Unfortunately she's still on the lift at the moment. Hoping to get back into it after the holidays.

Well, on Saturday I was able to move all the other truck/car parts that had accumulated under the truck while on the lift. Once I got her back down to ground level, I located the TPS and with the help of a wiring diagram identified the proper signal (blue) and ground wires.
IMG_2734.JPG

Wiring harness from the 6L80E processor. Yellow/blk stripe goes to blue, black/wh stripe goes to black.
NSRO2404.JPG

Reloomed, hangs over the air intake mani and attaches to firewall.
IMG_2740.JPG

Found some other things that need addressing before firing her up. The gas tank vent lines are still factory and just come out as two rubber lines up the firewall near the heater core. Gotta be a better way to terminate those. They did go into a Y connector that ended in a single rubber hose. The ends of all of them were gummy and falling apart. I removed the Y and trimmed them back to cleaner ends. Not sure what to do with them.
IMG_2742.JPG

Need to fix the radiator leak, get a new battery, top of fluids, re-design the e-brake bracket that went through the old transmission cross member support...

Well, on Saturday I was able to move all the other truck/car parts that had accumulated under the truck while on the lift. Once I got her back down to ground level, I located the TPS and with the help of a wiring diagram identified the proper signal (blue) and ground wires.
View attachment 2863916

Wiring harness from the 6L80E processor. Yellow/blk stripe goes to blue, black/wh stripe goes to black.
View attachment 2863917

Reloomed, hangs over the air intake mani and attaches to firewall.
View attachment 2863918

Found some other things that need addressing before firing her up. The gas tank vent lines are still factory and just come out as two rubber lines up the firewall near the heater core. Gotta be a better way to terminate those. They did go into a Y connector that ended in a single rubber hose. The ends of all of them were gummy and falling apart. I removed the Y and trimmed them back to cleaner ends. Not sure what to do with them.
View attachment 2863940

Need to fix the radiator leak, get a new battery, top of fluids, re-design the e-brake bracket that went through the old transmission cross member support...
If they just terminate as open vent lines, then poke a fuel filter in them, place about another foot of hose on the other end of the filter and turn it so it points down in order to protect it from water running in there, but still allowing vapors to vent. Kinda like a differential vent.

^^^ The fuel tank vent on the avatar was done like that, and it hung barely in view behind the RF tire. Imagine my surprise when a guy next to me at a stop-light was frantically calling my attention to the fact that my "fuel filter was disconnected!!!"

Radiator pulled for leak fixin'. There was this aluminum radiator at the shop that is about 1/4" too wide to fit between the core supports. So damn close!
Radiator2022 (1).JPG

Radiator2022 (3).JPG

The lower tank flares about 1/8" on each side which is why this one won't work. This would have necessitated a separate trans cooler as well.
Radiator2022 (5).JPG

Radiator pulled for leak fixin'. There was this aluminum radiator at the shop that is about 1/4" too wide to fit between the core supports. So damn close!
View attachment 2946543
View attachment 2946544

The lower tank flares about 1/8" on each side which is why this one won't work. This would have necessitated a separate trans cooler as well.
View attachment 2946554
Looks like a 80 series radiator for a manual trans truck.

This thing gonna make it to the family reunion this year?

Looks like a 80 series radiator for a manual trans truck.

This thing gonna make it to the family reunion this year?
Good eye. It is an 80 series radiator. It would be awesome if Bertha made it. Got a smaller list to get her running: radiator, battery, fluids. But for trail duty she's gonna need new diff gears. And there is some patching to do on the roof, sun roof.

I'm a fan of copper-brass radiators. Seen too many have problems with AL radiators to want one in a project vehicle. A DD appliance that was born with one is OK, but seems like about 50% of those that got one transplanted have trouble with them.

Just got word that the brass/copper radiator was repaired successfully. So glad I don't have to shop around anymore for a decent brass/copper one and then have to modify it again. This one is made for the AMC 360 which had opposite inlet/outlet locations. So we had them patch and braze new locations a while back to match the Gen II 5.7L orientation.

And now that spring is around the corner, I suppose I will fix the A/C system too.

I was gonna save the update for when I got the transmission online, but I haven't had time to dig into the software yet.

Bertha-2023 (1).JPG

I've got the USB cable that plugs directly into this controller and I've downloaded the software from PCS's website.

Bertha-2023 (7).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom