'86 Grand Wagoneer build, wife's rig

Discussion in 'Jeep' started by BMThiker, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been slacking on post updates...
    IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

Getting this "captured" bolt free from the back of the motor through the side of the adapter plate was a real biotch. Shaved down one of my cheap 14mm wrenches to get it loose.
    IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5577.JPG

G-Cat likes this.
  2. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy once, cry once...isn't that the idiom that's supposed to console your conscious?

This Zero Gravity 6L80E kit for Gen II GM motors arrived this week. Got the electronic shifter coming soon too. Now it's time to decide on which tcase is hanging off this beast. Need something 32 spline, driver drop.

IMG_6417.JPG
    SFT-5000.JPG

FJ60Cam, lt1fire, G-Cat and 1 other person like this.
  3. SparkyB

SparkyB

Any updates? Fellow Wagoneer owner here :cheers:

4. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    It's been a month of not much time in the garage, but got the rear main seal replaced. Kind of a PITA compared to when I replaced the rear main in my 1GR-E. Then re-installed the flexplate.

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

G-Cat likes this.
  5. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    Man, it must be fun being an ace mechanic and having a big garage with a lift. Cool truck, build, and history of your wife's long time ownership.
    Just don't be surprised if some people develop misconceptions about you, with wife driving this model. They might come your way looking to buy some blue meth. :D (Breaking Bad, right?)

6. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, thanks for the kind words, but "ace" is a bit generous. I lean on my friends for a lot of advice, and just wing it the rest of the way. Not afraid to tear something down and rebuild it - been doing that since I got my first button-click ballpoint pen as a kid (had to see how it worked!). And the garage is actually ACC's who has been a friend to me since their inception.

Yeah, we were kind of laughing about the Waggy in BB when we first saw it. I think we're going to keep the patina on this one, so it won't look so polished. The main goal with the body is to make it water proof again. Roof and sunroof leak, as do the big cargo windows in the back. The tailgate glass doesn't lower from the dash switch right now either. Lot's left to do even after I get her running again.

G-Cat likes this.
  7. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Test fitted the 6 speed this past weekend. Looks like everything is going to fit with no banging on the floor pan.
    IMG_7013.JPG

Spoke to Advance Adapters about the appropriate tailhousing and they suggested this one to mount our NP208. Once I get the tailhousing adapter, I can fab up a new cross-member.
    50-9600.jpg

Of course the tcase as it sits is 23 spline input, so at the advice of the sales tech at AA, I called Transfer Case Express and they shipped me a new 32 spline input gear for $60 door to door.
    IMG_7050.JPG

89GASHOG, FJ60Cam and G-Cat like this.
  8. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet Christmas! It's been far too long since I've done anything with this project. I've been too busy base-lining my rig for a trip out west in a few weeks. I did get the tail-housing adapter ordered. Next paycheck will pay for the NP208 rebuild kit. I'll start tearing the tcase down for rebuild once we get back from our adventure.

Sorry for those that are following, for such a sucky update.

yotadude520 and FJ60Cam like this.
  9. yotadude520

yotadude520 Mini-Truck Enthusiast

That 6 speed behind that V8 is going to be SO nice!

Nice work!

10. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    I see you passive-aggressively prodding for updates.

We had some personal tragedy in the family that needed immediate attention during the holiday break and that was when I had planned to put the t-case back together. I got the new input gear installed, easy-peasy. And I had ordered the replacement NP208 chain before Xmas as a present for my wife. The vendor contacted me shortly after ordering (I know one of the co-owners of this company) and told me they were currently out of stock, but were going to have some made locally very soon.

I then reached out to my network on east & west coast for another option. They all had great leads, but the vendors just didn't have the right style chain on hand. I may just throw the original chain back in for now and get this sucker going. It's been too long.

11. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Pics of the teardown...
    IMG_9124.JPG IMG_9126.JPG IMG_9129.JPG
    IMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9134.JPG

12. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Apparently I'm looking for part number HV014 on the chain. Found some online sources using this part #, going to do some more checking before plopping down some $$, but looking like some light at the end of the tunnel.

13. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Found the parts I need at Cobra Transmissions. Their site is hard to search, so I found someone who would chat with me on their FB page.
    Got these
    NP 208, Fork Insert Kit [331840K] - $1.99 : , Cobra Transmission
    and the chain on the way.
    NP 208, Chain [HV-014] - $89.99 : , Cobra Transmission (outdated rocker pin style)
    NP 208, Chain [HV-025] - $94.99 : , Cobra Transmission (newer roller pin style)

Well after a little more conversation with chat help, it turns out the HV014 style chain is superceded with the HV025 chain. The only difference being the 14 is a rocker style pin and the 25 is a roller pin style. Visually & mechanically, the rocker style pin is a stiffer chain that does not bend back on itself. The roller pin style has same drive/mesh properties but is more flexible and can roll back on itself. Pics sort of show what I mean.
    Parts-NP208-Transfer-Box-Chain-014.JPG
    NP-208-Chain-Transfer-Case-Round-Pins-36-Links.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    yotadude520 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.