86 4runner help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all, newbie here. Need some assistance if possible, hope I'm coming the right place. My '86 4runner sat a bit while I was overseas, meanwhile a $&*% squirrel decided a 6" section of my engine harness made a warm n tasty nest.
I've extended all the connections with new wiring and checked continuity, but some of the original connections had a few previous mods (a kill switch, I think) that don't match the original terminations. Stuck. Anybody in the ABQ area know this models wiring that's willing to help out & make some good beer $? :)

Yep. I have a 1985 4R and know it well. At one time I had a complete 1987 engine harness, but I just looked and couldn't find it. Have you tried pulling trouble codes? It might point you in the right direction.

Hi Pappy, thanks for the quick reply! Actually I just messaged you on the Rising Sun forum. I've gone through 2 different harnesses from eBay after discovering that the 87 was different... yeah if you could find yours ;)

I don't have a reader, but I didn't think I was that far enough along due to the mismatched wires. I didn't think the codes were descriptive enough to narrow down anything, especially without a service manual.

You drive old junk. You don't need a reader. All you need is a paper clip. Go here:
Toyota – TroubleCodes.net

You might be surprised.

I don't hang out at Rising Sun so wouldn't see it.

You drive old junk. You don't need a reader. All you need is a paper clip. Go here:

You might be surprised.

I don't hang out at Rising Sun so wouldn't see it.

Listen to this old guy who drives old junk, he knows things :flipoff2:

Pappy - thanks for sharing the website with pre-OBD-II trouble codes. My 1993 80 series has a check engine light on, and I am suspecting bad oxygen sensors, but I will use this info and check it out. As you say, we love our old junk and want to keep it running well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom