2011 4Runner Trail Edition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My daughter has a house-sitting/pet-sitting client that recently bought a 2023 TRD Pro 4Runner and have decided to sell their 5th Gen 2011 Trail Edition 4R. I'm contemplating if I want to buy it. It has the KDSS and rear E-locker. The main thing worrying me is the 277,000 miles. I plugged in my OBDII scanner and there were no codes. I didn't see any leaks anywhere. It has the 4.0 V6. I drove it. It starts, runs and drives fine. I put it into 4Hi and 4Lo, fiddled with the crawl control, adjusted the KDSS sway control, etc. but I didn't actually exercise the features off-road, just confirmed they turned on while on a dirt road. I have a 4th Gen '05 with 250K miles on it so I don't know why I'm worrying about a little more miles. The '11 has a lot more features, creature comforts, cool trail options than my '05. It's a one owner and I'm fairly sure these folks did all the proper PM on it, oil changes, etc. Some stuff that's wrong with it:

- Something is wrong with the front end alignment as the RT front tire is worn badly
- One rear shock is blown so it will at least need new shocks in the back, even though they just had all shocks replaced 3 years ago (at MIDAS)
- It was in a rear end collision and I can see where the rear hatch was repaired, rear crossmember replaced, rear bumper replaced and one tail light replaced with an aftermarket unit. It looks fine but I could tell where the repairs had been made.
- The rear window doesn't roll up or down consistently. I had to remove the rear hatch interior panel, clean and lube the cables/pulleys, just to get it to close all the way after rolling it down.
- Exterior belt molding/weatherstripping is toast on all 5 windows
- Paint is in fair condition but not great
- Has various nicks, scratches, trail pin-striping, all around the exterior
- They've taken it off-road and the skid plates did their jobs, but are kind of beat up.
- The brakes don't feel right but I would need to remove wheels to see how the pads look. The pedal is squishy and has more travel than I expected before the brakes are applied.

What is the collective wisdom about the longevity of the 4.0 V6?

I'm also trying to decide if his price of $8,500 is fair or if I should bargain more, knowing what work it needs. NADA says $8,200 trade in value for average condition. KBB says $12K private party value.

Last edited:
Offer them $7,500.

I'd offer $7000. Quite a bit of stuff to do to it, but all pretty easy to do.

I'll see your 7,000, and raise it to 7,250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom