SOLD 85 FJ60 with 5.7 TBI, H55, onboard air, rear ARB locker, dual battery etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Asking Price 16,500 OBO

Unless I win the lottery soon I have to part with this 85 I have owned for about a year. I just picked up a new to me 62 and I cannot keep both. This one was converted to a 5.7 TBI approx 69k miles ago. The engine was a crate engine and the H55 was new and the transfer case rebuilt at time of install. The diff gearing was changed to 4.11 also and the tires are 33x12.5x15, speedo is very accurate with this set up.

My understanding is the guy who built it and used as intended it as a touring and off roading rig. It definitely fits the bill for both. I used it for an off road event here in NV called hump n bump. Didn't do anything too crazy with it as its not my thing but it is immensely capable. I also used it to go to turf n surf last year while pulling a small camping trailer. It was a great trip, 60 did great and got about 15mpg pulling the trailer (its really light maybe 12 to 1400 lbs).

Now for a list of good and bad.

Good

Rust free rig from new mexico, california and now Nevada
Low mile 5.7 TBI engine that runs very well
H55 transmission 69k miles
Marks 4wd adapter
4.11 gears
ARB rear locker
Low miles on tires, Falken wildpeak
Upgraded brakes courtesy of valley hybrids, 80 series master and drilled slotted terrain tamer rotors ( a great upgrade)
Radiator re-core last year about 4k miles ago
On board air with neatly designed tank under front bumper
Dual battery set up with rocker switch in glove box
Painless wiring harness
Auxilliary fuse block
Warn winch
Custom front and rear bumpers
Slee off road sliders
3/4 ? roof rack
Alcan springs approx 3" lift
small 3/4 inch body lift
Ubolt flip kit
Trailer wiring
Hi lift jack
Front seats are from a Mitsubishi Diamante, all manual controls and more comfortable than stock IMO
New ignition coil, Alternator, AC compressor, idler pulley, new belts, hoses and thermostat
Euro mirrors courtesy of trail tailor (still have the old chevy ones if you want them for some reason)
CB Radio

Bad

Depending on your tastes it might be ugly!
As you will see in pics the PO was a blasphemer and rolled on a cheap Kragen bedliner on the lower half of a freeborn red rig. I understand wanting to protect your metal but this would not have been my choice. The good news is it is not one of those baked on liners. It peels off in small chunks with a smooth backing. That leads me to hope that it might be ultimately removable. If I were keeping it a full strip and respray would be on my agenda at some point if I had a good paint guy nearby. It is possible the liner will come off with a very high pressure hose but I can't guarantee it.

Has some trail rash on the passenger side from PO. Doors are dented and scratched with surface rust. I have 2 replacement doors for it that will come along with it if you want them

The tires have low miles but are not quite a matching set. There were two almost new ones on it when I purchased it and two very worn. The old ones were falken wildpeak which they didn't make anymore. I got two new Falkens with the closest tread pattern and they have worked well. The spare is well worn and nothing more than a spare.

The isolator on the dual battery quit I believe. New blue sea isolator purchased but not installed

I believe the 15+ year viair on board pump will need to be replaced. Still works but is noisy and not pumping out a lot of pressure.

Miscellaneous.
There are two old ammo cans in back with tie downs to custom anchor points. PPO used these to carry spares etc.

I have a new carpet kit purchased not installed from a vendor here that will go with vehicle.

When I first got this truck I immediately drove it to valley hybrids. They busted out a bunch of repairs on it and got it feeling like a really together vehicle. I will attach the receipt but in addition to the brake upgrade they did a castor correction for the lift which made an enormous difference and numerous other little fixes which made a huge difference. I did not cheap out in my short time with this vehicle and neither did the PPO, I have 3 folders filled with receipts from his time with it.

It may not be perfect but it is a solid rig that I would trust to drive me cross country tomorrow if need be. I would love to see it go to a good mud home. I will advertise it here exclusively for a little while before turning it loose on ebay or CL.

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have questions

End.jpg

20170226_113847.jpg
20170227_081535.jpg
20170405_185745.jpg
20171011_160436.jpg
20171012_101429.jpg

20171012_130646.jpg
20171013_075126.jpg
20171110_143418.jpg
20171111_102413.jpg
IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG
IMG_7715.JPG
IMG_7719.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG
IMG_7723.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG

IMG_7733.JPG
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7739.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG

will sell quickly....I would buy it if i had not bought one recently.

Pm replied

Weekend bump

That's a nice 60 with good upgrades.
Do you know if it could get past the CA Smog Nazis?
Might help with sale.

That's a nice 60 with good upgrades.
Do you know if it could get past the CA Smog Nazis?
Might help with sale.

Well let me preface my response with this. I believe it may not even be legal for you Kalifornians to look at pictures of it on the internet. You should run for the hills and immediately buy a prius and not even consider trying to get this thing through your abominable engine swap/smog regs.

I am by no means an expert on the matter and do not represent to anyone here that it will be smoggable now or at any point in the future. I am grateful to not have to deal with such matters on this truck here in Nevada where the sale will take place.

Having said all of that I did look into it a little and I think with some relatively small tweaks it would be possible to get the holy grail sticker that you guys need. The rig I am replacing this one with had a similar 5.7 TBI with one cat etc. set up and had the magic sticker in it so it is at least feasible. The sticking point on this one is that it has a manual transmission and very few early 90's trucks with this engine had a manual transmission. That coupled with the fact that this was a crate motor not a pullout from a wreck with an easily referenced VIN i think it gave the PO cold feet on even trying. He did collect some parts toward that end though and they would come with the vehicle if someone wanted them.

If there is someone serious about buying it I would be happy to discuss it in PM or in person as to what info I have and where I sought advice on it

That said if you are in California buy this Nevada vehicle at your own risk and definitely as it stands right now, with even my severely limited understanding of your regs., I do not believe it would pass smog.

Clear as mud right?

Sold pending funds- deposit received

Sold.

Sad to see it go but its in good hands and will be well loved I am sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom