85' FJ60 vacuum leak Dallas TX , continued (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The vacuum leak appears to be a bad gasket at the secondary cut valve (AKA slow jet valve) at the base of the carburetor.
I may be able to order a replacement of the entire unit (the size of a thimble) but why not just rebuild the 30 year old carb?
I can remove and replace it but rebuilding is beyond my skill level. Can anyone suggest where to find someone to rebuild the carb and secondary cut valve? I want to keep it stock. Just purchased a lot of vacuum hose.

Not sure how to post picture(s) or if my membership level will permit.

The slow valve is not rebuildable, but it's a very good idea to have the carb professionally rebuilt by one of the MUD carb gurus. SCV can be disabled if you're desmogg'd. Mine is, and I'm in Calif and it passes smog fine.

Mark A. at www.marksoffroad.net in Burbank CA 818-953-9230

Jim C. www.tlcperformance.com in OH.

Last edited:
SCV can be disabled if you're desmogg'd. Mine is, and I'm in Calif and it passes smog fine.

Can you tell me more about this? How are you desmogged in CA and still passing smog?

You'll have to do a search on it - there are posts with pix. It involves cutting off the little pump arm and pulling out the plunger and tapping it and JB welding in a bolt. Mine started to drip leak and stink up the engine compartment.

This is something the above rebuilders will do for you if the valve is leaking and you don't want replaced. There may be other fixes I do not know about.

@65swb45

img_3626-jpg.1058807

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom