'85 FJ60 - 112K, no rust, records - ATLANTA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

picture.php

SUMMARY: 1985 Toyota LandCruiser FJ-60 with 113,000 miles (as of 7/18/2013). Metallic grey exterior with a nearly perfect OEM blue/grey interior. This FJ60 draws compliments all day long. Documented service history dating back to 1986 and garaged most all of it's life - clearly well cared for by prior owners.

BODY PANELS & BUMPERS: All body panels are rust free (yes, RUST-FREE). All panels straight with perfect lines and factory gaps. Paint is very glossy and in excellent condition. In 2010 the truck received a high-quality repaint in the original OEM Toyota metallic grey color. A prior owner had a professionally applied protective spray-on satin black rock-guard film to the lower rocker panel area...near smooth finish and not immediately noticeable (except by a LandCruiser purist). Note that it is NOT covering up any rust on the lower doors or rocker panel areas. There is accident history on the truck from 1 of the prior owners and apparently was the reason for the repaint. The passenger side rear quarter area was lightly side-swiped (panel damage only) while the FJ60 was parked at home one night. Extensive effort was made to conduct the side-swipe repair CORRECTLY using a **new** Toyota OEM rear quarter panel (supposedly one of the last available stateside) which was then properly primed on BOTH sides, correct seam sealer applied at the intersecting panels, and no body filler used. The repair is flawless…unless you pull the interior cargo area panels (and know where to look) you simply cannot find evidence of the repair. One other “accident” was a minor parking related incident (the e-brake wasn’t engaged) and only involved replacing the rear bumper with a good quality used bumper. At some point the front bumper was either replaced or re-chromed. The bumper end-caps are all in very good shape.

MISC EXTERIOR: Front windshield was replaced several years ago (it is crystal clear with no cracks or rock chips) with the correct OEM Toyota rubber seal. All window rubber seals are in very good condition and not dry-rotted. Front and rear wipers are < 6 months old. OEM Toyota tow hooks still in place&hellip;the front one still has the OEM chromed metal clip installed! All door handles function properly and the chrome is in excellent shape. All OEM Toyota chromed or stainless trim is installed and in very good to excellent condition&hellip;including the rain gutter drip rails&hellip;sole exception is the rocker panel chromed metal trim pieces (a.k.a. &ldquo;snake blinders&rdquo;) which were omitted in the aforementioned rocker panel rock guard film application. Rear license plate light area has NO RUST and the chrome trim is in excellent shape. The truck even has its original Toyota dealer installed chromed nameplate on the tailgate &ldquo;BURT &ndash; Englewood&rdquo; that was installed when the truck was new!

FRAME & AXLES: All straight and OEM original with NO MAJOR ROT. All underside skid plates and drip pans are intact. Typical flash covering of rust in some areas and on edges (i.e., axles, skid panels, exhaust, and receiver hitch area). All these flash rust areas (except exhaust) could be left as-is with the existing light dusting of black paint (thst was applied to prevent future rust) or lightly sanded and repainted satin chassis black (as was my original intent). There is one section on the rearmost bumper cross member that does exhibit signs of pitting and rust, but appears to be the only such area and could be sanded/painted and left alone or is easily accessible for minor repair. The frame rails (portions facing outwards) and wheel wells were also lightly covered in the aforementioned rock-guard film&hellip;it was not applied here as thick as the body panels and could be easily removed (I've starting picking off loose areas by hand) with a wire wheel or light sanding (again my original intent).

SUSPENSION & STEERING: Almost all Toyota OEM parts with NO LIFT KIT EVER INSTALLED. The FRONT leaf springs & shackles are original to the truck and are NOT sagging (a typical FJ-60 issue). The REAR leaf springs were sagging (again, typical FJ-60 issue) and were recently replaced (documented records) with a used but non-sagging FJ-62 leaf spring pack (FJ62s = more leaf springs&hellip;this re-leveled the truck from front to back). A new Man-A-Fre long add-a-leaf spring was also to the rear spring pack to prevent any potential for sagging when carrying cargo. The springs were then all coated in semi gloss back paint. The rear shackles were replaced with IronMan anti-inversion greasable parts (stronger, quieter, and ride better than OEM) and new polyurethane bushings. All 4 shocks are BRAND NEW OEM Toyota shocks with new OEM Toyota rubber bushings. Power steering works as designed with no moaning/groaning (the pump was replaced years ago and is one of the many printed service records on file).

ENGINE, COOLING, & TRANSMISSION: All Toyota OEM and original to the truck. No rebuilds. Original OEM radiator was recently serviced (cleaned/boiled, pressure tested, minor leaks re-welded, tanks-only repainted, new radiator cap). Documented service history indicates water pump and thermostat replaced within last couple years along with most coolant hoses. Original OEM carburetor. Vehicle starts easily and runs/idles like a top. Original OEM transmission and transfer case works perfectly and shifts smoothly. Shifting into 4WD functions as designed. The clutch is in good shape and a new clutch slave was installed in the last 6 months. The only visible detractor in the engine bay is a fuel charcoal canister with a crusty looking finish, otherwise the engine bay is in very good to excellent condition. Most factory applied engine maintenance stickers are still in place. Original OEM hood blanket still installed and in very good shape. Slight deterioration of the plastic on the &ldquo;accordion&rdquo; hose that feeds the air cleaner with cool air from the grille area. The choke cable functions as it should to assist cold starting. No leaks, drips, gunked-up areas, funny smells, or corroded parts. Fresh oil change with filter and all lube points addressed.

ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL: All lights, switches, turn signals, mechanical parts, etc. all properly function. The AC works PERFECT and is ICE COLD at ALL fan speeds (an absolute requirement here in Atlanta). A prior owner converted the AC system to R-134 freon. Both front and rear heaters work very well too at ALL fan speeds. A prior owner installed an Alpine CD/Radio/Stereo systems with front and rear speakers. The dash and front door panels were NOT cut for the installation and the rear 6&rdquo;x9&rdquo; speakers are installed in the rear cargo area panels.

INTERIOR: The all OEM Toyota original interior in FANTASTIC shape. No rips or tears anywhere. Most people think the interior has been restored. Fortunately, prior owners used seat covers so the OEM Toyota fabric is in incredible condition. There are NO CRACKS ON THE DASH (a typical FJ60 issue). The plastic storage console between the seats and the rubber shift boots are in excellent condition. The driver&rsquo;s seat bottom foam was recently restored (yet another typical FJ60 issue)&hellip;all other seat foam is in excellent shape. There are a few minor splits in the driver side seat bolster vinyl. Included with the sale are extra used OEM Toyota seat covers (for future use if ever needed&hellip;the Toyota fabric and color-matched vinyl is NLA from Toyota or aftermarket suppliers)...as well as 2 front seat heaters (heating elements, wiring, switches partially installed). Headliner is in perfect shape NO tears or stains. Original OEM carpet in very good condition...including the cargo area! Recently, all jute felt insulation under the carpet was replaced with either ½&rdquo; or 1&rdquo; thick acoustic sound deadening foam (carpet appears as OEM stock over the foam) and the metal floorboards were covered in FatMat (a butyl based sound deadening product). Overall this insulating project significantly reduced the road noise on this FJ60. New OEM Toyota shift knobs and rubber pedal covers have been installed. Also includes a basic steering wheel wrap (covering a perfect condition steering wheel) and heavy-duty black rubber floor mats.

WHEELS & TIRES: All 5 original OEM Toyota FJ-60 chromed wheels. Mild rust spots on the chrome in places, but not at the point its pitted or requiring re-chroming. Tires are BFG All-Terrain T/As and were installed about 4 years ago. Tires are still in good condition, but over ½ worn at this point. Spare tire (also BFG A/T) is 100% new/perfect condition. A COMPLETE set of tools are in the OEM tool kit look brand new.

DOCUMENTATION: Extensive service records, many from authorized TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS, have been kept with the FJ60 all these years. The original OEM Toyota Owner&rsquo;s Manual that came with this truck is included. Complete ownership history and service record outline available upon request. A large file folder of service records accompanies this vehicle. Copies of both the AutoCheck and CarFax are available upon request. Since residing in Atlanta, the truck has been exclusively maintained by ACC Toyota (a vintage Toyota LandCruiser specialty repair shop).

WHY SELLING? To be honest, it really, really pains me to sell this vehicle. It took me months of searching, waiting, and looking to find this FJ-60. I&rsquo;ve spared no expense conducting preventative maintenance, repairs and upgrades that will ensure the reliability and longevity of this truck. My goal was to use the FJ60 on a weekly basis (mostly errand running and my short office commute) as well as weekend driving, and seasonal camping trips. However, with the recent addition of child #4, our family really needs a larger SUV with 3 rows of seating that can be used by the entire family. Since I already own a fully-restored and expedition-equipped FJ40, having this FJ60 is rather duplicative anyway.

MILEAGE: As of 7/13, the truck has 113,000 miles. Driven every few days, miles are routinely being added. Fully documented with years of repair receipts as proof of the mileage. In the interest of full disclosure, when the prior owner moved from VA to GA he went to the GA-DMV to register the new title as "110,000" miles (again repair receipts near this timeframe can substantiate it). Somehow, the DMV person read 110,000 miles as 116,000 miles so that is how the title was issued (and the error was not caught by the previous owner until after the new title was recorded). When I purchased it with 111,210 miles I couldnt register it with less than 116,000 miles, so i used 117,210 miles (as my only option was another trip to the DMV, hours in line, a DMV inspector, and more registration fees to rectify the 6K mileage error). Not planning on selling it, I didnt bother with it. Again, want to fully disclose this up front.

OTHER MISC: A large metal safari rook rack that attaches to the rain gutters is available to the buyer. It is a steel rack with expanded metal footing. It is NOT included with the vehicle, but I&rsquo;m willing to consider selling it (TBD cost) should the new buyer desire to have a roof rack.

WHAT DOES IT NEED? A new owner. Seriously, there are no major issues that need addressing at this time. Depending on use and # of miles driven, tires could be a consideration in the next 12 &ndash; 18 months but are certainly not in &ldquo;need&rdquo; of being replaced at this time.

PRICE: $12,750 OBO. Please do not waste my time or yours with low-ball 4-digit offers. Keep in mind that this is an exceptionally well documented and preserved FJ60. It's not a museum piece, but darn close. Rather than give it away, I&rsquo;ll simply keep it and pass it down to my oldest son who will be driving in 2 years. Based on its current condition, its value will only appreciate.

Lastly, please be an adult here on the forum and if you have negative comments (price or otherwise) please keep those to yourself. This is not a truck for everyone&hellip;or one you&rsquo;d want to take out on the trail and bang-up. But it is THE truck for the person who wants an exceptional FJ60.

Fairly certain that the first person who looks it over will buy it. I&rsquo;d prefer to see it go to someone in the LandCruiser community.

Last edited:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice rig

Nice truck! The price seem reasonable, there is no way you could recreate this rig for anywhere near the price. I would swap in a H55 and roll......

Good luck with the sale!

Michael Browing is right, after fully-restoring a FJ40 I know for a fact that you can't possibly restore an early FJ series LandCruiser for less than the price of one that's been well preserved.

Last edited:
Updated above posts with current mileage and photos (more photos available upon request).

Last edited:
Taking the family everywhere in 2 cars is getting old quick.

It's going to AutoTrader and/or eBay soon...

Last edited:
I just looked at your ad and noticed a Burt Englewood name plate on the back tailgate. I've got one of those too. Hence my forum name haha. Nice looking 60 too, I'm jealous and would buy it if I had the funds.

Burt: Yes, I thought it was cool too that it still has the original dealer nameplate on the back. In fact the truck is so original the driver door window still has a Burt sticker that reminds the driver to "buckle up"! Lol.

Mongoose: If you're serious, reach out to me itonight before I list it...

Last edited:
heheh, i looked at the Arizona truck, obviously on eBay. too far for me to drive out there. there was also a truck on eBay in Tulsa that was bought from under me. beautiful truck unpainted, just well preserved. I contacted the seller too late. Now, besides tires, would I need to spend any money on this rig? I've already spent a great deal on mine and I now have it in top notch mechanical condition. the reason I want to buy another and sell mine is because i don't have the time to resolve the rust issues. so basically i want a truck that's 100% both mechanically and cosmetically. The only reason I am hesitant, if I may say so is because i actually want a solid, nonmetallic color. So I am still on the fence about it. I will think about it throughout the day and I might contact you. Otherwise, good luck with the sale.

That thing looks incredible. I'm surprised I haven't seen it around.
GLWS!

Thanks guys for the compliments about the FJ60.

Last edited:
SOLD. Thanks MUD for the listing.

For those of you that will inquire, it sold in less than 24 hours on eBay. In fact, it sold for more than the buy it now price as the buyer also purchased the roof rack post auction.

If you plan to sell a FJ60, just know there was tons of interest via eBay. The transaction was super quick and easy. Buyer's deposit showed up immediately and the wire transfer arrived 48 hours later. And I had 3 backup offers if the deal had fallen through for some reason.

I was one of the backup offers. I found it on there, then on here. By the time I had talked myself into it, I clicked the auction and it was gone...

Congrats on the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom