85 4runner Piglett (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine has a switch for "ECON" or "POWER". I've found that if I drive sanely that just leaving it on the "POWER" setting doesn't impact the mpg's and does allow the engine to spool-up a bit more before each shift. I periodically re-discover that switch (it isn't labeled) and have to remember just wth it does.......
I had a '85 Xcab shortbed 4wd 22RE/Auto for a short time. I don't recall if it had that switch or not. It was an odd truck in that it was as stripped down as it got, except for the auto trans. I should have kept it.......

My understanding if the 700R4 issue was that at low engine speed and low vehicle speed the pump(s) in the trans don't make much pressure. The lock-up in a converter is a hydraulically actuated clutch, it needs hyd. pressure to keep the clutch engaged. W/O that pressure the clutch would slip, with the usual results of a slipping clutch.

Ron said those buttons haven't ever worked since he bought it in 1998. He tried chasing the wiring a few times (I found records of this being done), but was never able to figure it out. Maybe it's my turn to give it a go.

Makes sense. Sounds like that may be a 700r4 specific issue. The 4l60e replaced it for a reason, haha.

You guys reminded me of the Normal/Power button on the 86 my wife had. I don't think normal was EVER used. Stayed in power mode all the time. Pretty sure she used the heck out of the overdrive button on the shift lever too. Definitely off on the hills.

In the PWR mode the button is down, if that helps any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom