84 22R 4x4 Tire Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

Finally took delivery of my truck and took it on trails for the first time and was really pleased with its performance on the OEM platform. I Do feel that better tires would make a huge difference though. Looking for some advice. After considering a lift I think I’d like to keep it OEM as I think it looks best that way, but want some better tires so that I’m able to keep up with some LC buddies in SoCal trails. Any advice as to what beefier tire size will fit? It appears there’s a decent amount of room to size up on the stock platform with out any rub. I have the white stock steelies which I love and don’t wanna change out, but I realize this limits my options. Any advice would be much appreciated!

The 31s were offered as an option. They fit fairly well. Above that and you have to start trimming fenders or lifting depending on how much articulation you want.

“...but want some better tires so that I’m able to keep up with some LC buddies in SoCal trails...”

What are your buddies driving and how are they set up?

“...but want some better tires so that I’m able to keep up with some LC buddies in SoCal trails...”

What are your buddies driving and how are they set up?
They’re driving 100 series’ with 2/2.5 OME lifts and running 33’s. I’ve notice travel on stock 22R is pretty close to theirs.

I would think a 31" AT like the BFG KO2 would work great and easily hang with those big, fat, heavy 100s. ;)

I would think a 31" AT like the BFG KO2 would work great and easily hang with those big, fat, heavy 100s. ;)
I will second this.

Third dog in on 31s and KO2s or sexy KM3s. I ran stock with 31s on my ‘81 and ‘82 4x4s back in high school and made it plenty of places.

My 100 never bogged or sunk, but I Hate Mud. :flipoff2:

31's look big on the Best Gen 4Runners. I like mine and don't think I'll need to go bigger anytime soon.

I've never dug out a bogged 100, but spent hours extricating an F250. Then I drove past the bog hole in my minitruck.
It's one of the reasons I don't get the whole Overland scene now. All the extra weight and height added to a DD and then when s*** gets technical they are all over the place or get stuck when in actuality it shouldn't be that difficult. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

It's one of the reasons I don't get the whole Overland scene now. All the extra weight and height added to a DD and then when s*** gets technical they are all over the place or get stuck when in actuality it shouldn't be that difficult. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

I think it all goes wrong when they combine the two - taking a 7,000 lbs "overland" truck to the local ORV. I spent years 'wheeling CJs - 3,000 lbs short/narrow trucks on 35s... and now 'wheel a 100 on 33s. Just not in the same category. You can feel the effects of the weight on even the slightest incline.

I can't wait to take the little Pickup wheeling!

Yes, I look at weight whenever I add or modify anything mechanically or for the camping. More weight equals more fuel usage and the 22re doesn't have a lot of power to begin with. I'm about to swap steel winch cable for synthetic, mostly for safety but also for weight.

Stop eating all those Twinkies and that’ll help! :hillbilly:

BFG KO2’s look good on ’80’s Toyota’s. 275/70 16 on my 1986 4runner.

47B31F1D-67BF-4D6C-AC67-FA0AA2B3D896.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom