SOLD '82 US spec FJ40, new metal, in west TN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
tan
US spec '82 FJ40 with less than 113.5K miles with 2F, factory power steering, 4 speed, the stronger split transfer case, 3.70 gearing for highway driveability and fuel economy, Davis DUI distributor, and recent rebuild of the front knuckles. The truck runs beautifully. I have a clean and clear TN title.

$40k

I have a lot more pics for interested parties.

Here's the work that's been done:
new rear quarters, new rear wheel wells, new rear sill, new inside and outside rockers on both sides, new floor pans on both sides, new patches below kickout vents on both sides, replaced hood, replaced windshield frame, replaced passenger side fender, new running boards, new ambulance door skins, replaced license plate holder, reupholstered jump seats, new fender blinkers, new rear blinker covers, new side and rear emblems, new side mirrors, new mounting hardware for the windshield, all doors, hood, mirrors, new headliner, new floor mats, new stereo and speakers, new full size matching spare and rim, new weatherstripping for all the doors and windshield, new rollbar pads, new Bilstein shocks, new steering stabilizer …. I’m probably missing some stuff too. All the body parts came from: Real Steel Cruiser Parts - https://www.realsteelcruiserparts.net/

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

Last edited:
Just my $0.02. I'm not on the hunt but do know original when I see it.

You will exclude your target audience with it sitting the way it is now...
Wrong color interior for a late model.

If you want the top dollar that you are asking, make it right.

You need to take the interior back to stock grey not black. It belittles the hard work you did on the bodywork.

Loose the leather seats and go original, loose that floor mat and add an original or repro floor mat, make the stock jump seats grey again, add grey seat belts not black, loose the fog light switch and add a rubber plug since you have no fog lights on the bumper, add under hood pictures and loose the CD player and speakers. No one has CDs anymore. Replace with a radio block off plate or original am optional radio.

The people who pay top dollar want original. Not interpretation, improvised or "looks good to me".

@S.CarolinaFZJ80 you are probably right to get top dollar. My own estimation of the market, is that an '82 US spec like what you have described would bring a lot more than what I'm asking. I tried to put together a nice rig, but there were some things that I inherited (non OEM color for example) that I wasn't willing to change. Cheers!

it's the little things as stated above.

the body work on both rear wheel wells inside is less than stellar and also other areas, driver B pillar, driver floor board area, etc.

the speedometer/odometer is not correct for a 1982

GLWTS but I think it'll be a hard sell here on mud

nice 45lp removable top in the garage

Last edited:
Right on man. I appreciate that. I think what you have there is great but just throwing it out there so you can get what you want out of it.
I get using what you got, I do on my cruisers too but mud members usually don't want to pay top dollar.

Good luck with your sale.

@3_puppies are you sure about the speedometer??? Every late model 40 that I've seen has had that same speedometer/odometer.

yes the odometer is not correct, it should be a 6 digit plus 10ths odometer and the 55 should be highlighted

@ToyotaMatt has a post in this thread, post # 15 that shows the differences in speedometer/odometers thru the years:

yes the odometer is not correct, it should be a 6 digit plus 10ths odometer
This too. It should have 6 digits and icons along with the words on the bottom gauges & a highlighted 55 on the speedo. I think. Not sure but there is a thread in mud with all the speedo differences per year.

We're trying to help. Please don't take offense. If you get top dollar we get more value in our builds.

We're trying to help. Please don't take offense. If you get top dollar we get more value in our builds.
Absolutely, no offense taken. I appreciate the help actually. I've got 2 40s, but can only afford 1. The mustard was the one I rode around in as a kid, so it's not going anywhere. Thus, the '82s gotta go. Cheers! Mike

nice 45, my mistake I see now it is a fixed top. looked like a removable top in the 1 pic.

Absolutely, no offense taken. I appreciate the help actually. I've got 2 40s, but can only afford 1. The mustard was the one I rode around in as a kid, so it's not going anywhere. Thus, the '82s gotta go. Cheers! Mike
You're telling me. I got four and can afford none

yes the odometer is not correct, it should be a 6 digit plus 10ths odometer and the 55 should be highlighted

@ToyotaMatt has a post in this thread, post # 15 that shows the differences in speedometer/odometers thru the years:

here is my pro date chart.........

B242B27A-700C-4659-A424-FD27FF000582vintagetewp[arts .jpg

Probably not going to get much interest here, but just listed this rig on Ebay. Got my eye on a 55, so need to sell. Significantly lower reserve than the list price.

Cheers,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom