82 toyota pickup 4x4 2wd cab conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
. Im.new to this forum and new to Toyota restoration work. I'm far from new to restorations. I've restored Jaguars, Volvos and American muscle cars so any help I can offer to anyone on here on that stuff, I would be more than happy. Car work has been a hobby of mine my entire life since as young as I can remember and I'm 54 now. My son has taken a huge interest in early 80s Toyota (Hilux) SR5 type trucks and we currently have one (1982 4x4 ) that is well worthy of restoration. One of its previous owners cut the roof off and decided to make it a make shift convertible ( popular to do in the 80s I'm told). I am not comfortable with my son driving it this way as the A pillar has 0 structural integrity God forbid a rollover. The truck does have a rollbar but I still want to replace the cab. We are now taking delivery of a 2 wheel drive 1982 pickup with a clean cab. My main 2 questions are what is involved in swapping a 1982 regular cab 4x4 replacing it with a 2wd regular cab involving cab mount differences besides cutting holes in floorboards for shifters. I have read that radiator support mounts to frame are a little different and I haven't seen 2wd cab yet so I was wondering how much effort to retrofit that and what else is different about the cabs. Also read that the front fenders different on 2wd. Anything else guys? The second question is what is the actual measured length difference between a long bed and short bed from 1982 Toyota Pickup? Thank you in advance for your assistance guys. I'm not afraid of any modifications I need to make, I just want to prepare myself for what I'm in for and I'm sure there are quite a few of you out there who have already done this swap. Thank you again......Paul

the core support cab mounts are behind the core support on 2wd.
the fenders, bumper stuff. ebrake cable. are the only other differences.
beds are 6 vs 7ft
Can't thank you enough. Sounds like a walk in the park to do this compared to what nightmare I envisioned. Luckily we have everything we pretty much need to make one really good running and clean and solid as a rock 82 pickup for my son. Looking forward to doing this for him and with him. I'm proud of him as could be. He's an ROTC Cadet and he loves these trucks so it will make me happy to make this happen for him. Thank you again for responding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom