'82 fail smog please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current Attachments (79.6 KB)
image.jpg (79.6 KB)

Not sure what this means but I thought it sounded like I just missed a "pass".

Truck does not idle rough.

image.jpg

I just finished a massive search and came up with nuth'n. There was a link to input my numbers And it told me my fuel ratio was 14+:1. That's the same thing the smog tech told me and the muffler guy; that the motor was running lean.

Any suggestions?

I just finished a massive search and came up with nuth'n. There was a link to input my numbers And it told me my fuel ratio was 14+:1. That's the same thing the smog tech told me and the muffler guy; that the motor was running lean.

Any suggestions?

High NOx is a result of something wrong with the egr. Lean usually is a result of a vacuum leak. The rest of your numbers are not bad. Fix the egr.

Thanks Pappy for your help again.

Is this a replace only item or is there something that I can take apart and fix?

I didn't want to lead the question originally but do you think it could be a small vacuum leak that the starting fluid isn't detecting? It's all guess work now(?) but a mechanic friend suggested the small vacuum leak at the carb. Times being what they are, he hasn't worked on a carbureted vehicle in forever. I wanted to hear what wisdom came from here first before I dove into a possibility.

What the hell is NOx?

I just Googled NOx and I would think the cat converter would take care of it but I don't know sh$t. All this is new to me. Never had to learn about it before.

Thanks Pappy for your help again.

Is this a replace only item or is there something that I can take apart and fix?

The EGR system consists of three bits. The valve which can fail or gum up, the modulator that controls when the valve is open, and the BVSV that allows the valve to work at operating temps. If these are all original I would replace them all.

I went to the dealer on the way home to purchase those "three bits" and two outa three are discontinued. I believe it was the modulator that there was one of in 'Frisco. Guess I'm gonna go to the next town and check with Autozone.

Which one was disco'd? The BVSV? You might be OK as those seldom fail. The valve and the modulator do fail.

Pappy,
I believe it's the modulator and BVSV that's discontinued.

I went to Napa for price and availability and I believe the valve was $250ish. If I were able to get all three I seem to remember the over three bills range. I'm having a hard time recalling because I was getting up off the floor.

Can't the EGR valves be cleaned? Also were these the same parts on later Toyotas, I would start looking on ebay for parts, the BVSV is a simple on/off 12volt valve, if you were to apply power to it you should be able to hear it open and close. Also check for proper vacuum line routing, if the lines coming off the BVSV are switched it will not work correctly, well I know this will be the case with the AC VSV.

Pappy we're all the modulators the same, I have now laying around that was on an 86' 22RE, will it work on the older trucks?

The 22REs are different than the 22Rs.

Well,

After being floored bu the idea of possibly having to pay a lot of money for some simple operating parts, the Napa Guy referred me to a mechanic in the area that had a smog machine and could give a pretest and wrench on it if need be. Damn! I wish this had happened sooner! Sometimes I can't believe I missed the obvious. Not looking forward to building a new relationship with a mechanic. The whole reason I wrench on my own junk is I can't trust or am let down by the quality of work.

After leaving the mechanic I asked my son "Just how many times did he say he was honest and to trust him"? I was worried and it must have shown!

Two days later the truck passed smog and I'm a Happy Camper again. He said it only took some minor tweaking on the carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom