84 22RE Wont rev up. With video -PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i have a 84 Toyota pickup that I efi swapped but one issue I'm having is I cannot get the engine to rev up when ever i blip the throttle. Itll idle great but once i go to rev it up it creates a bog and makes popping noise out of the exhaust. Parts i have replaced were: TPS (adjusted), AFM (aftermarket), Fuel filter and O2 sensor. I have alternated between different ecus and the problem still persists. Timing is at 5*. I attached a video to give you guys a better idea of my issue. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

here is the link to the video: IMG_2804 (1).MOV - https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x1bfxbbd0trlks/IMG_2804%20%281%29.MOV?dl=0

is the dizzy centeted or maxed one way or the other?

the most important setting on the tps is the idle switch. the resistance values are irrelevant.

the dizzy is definitly toward the center of the slot of adjustment. I hooked up a timmg light at its about 5*. how do i check idle resistance on TPS?

the dizzy is definitly toward the center of the slot of adjustment. I hooked up a timmg light at its about 5*. how do i check idle resistance on TPS?
pins 3+4 should show continuity throttle closed. they should go open just as you crack the blade.

what year is the EFI stuff from? Was it the whole truck harness (engine ,cab, and back half) or just the engine harness?

Not sure on the "84 but on my '90 EFI I have to jumper the fuel pump and another pin in the diagnostic port in order to set the timing. Might be the same on all of them and the timing advances once you remove the jumper.

I took a the connectors off the ecu and
it looks like im missing some pins in the harness connectors? the harness if off a 1987 4runner. the ecu is unknown since the label is worn off. can this be my issue?
2023-05-12 11.48.18.jpg
2023-05-12 11.48.38.jpg
2023-05-12 11.48.46 (1).jpg
2023-05-12 11.48.55.jpg

looks like the missing pins are a/t related.
wouldn't hurt to clean that body connection to the ecu. nothing works right with low voltage.

Screenshot_20230512-122659_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230512-122708_Drive.jpg

when i pinch the return line from fuel pressure regulator it revs up like it supposed to. does that mean my furl pressure regulator is bad?

Sounds like you need to check your fuel system. Did you swap in a new pump?

I'd blow out the fuel lines, make sure you have a good pump and clean filter screen/sock. Make sure the tank is clean inside.

You should have the fuel supply line from the pump to the filter. Then to the fuel rail. The regulator is at the end and goes back to the return line which is the one going back to tank at the pump bracket. Don't mix it up with the vent line. The vent line goes from the forward end of the tank on top to the charcoal canister.

If I remember right, the regulator has a vacuum line that varies the fuel pressure slightly based on engine load.

I checked fuel pressure and I'm about 40 psi, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the fpr, replaced cold start timer switch, and re sealed the injectors and it still bogs. I'm at my wits end with this damn truck. all this work and parts for 90 hp lol.

Man I can only imagine your frustration. Did you get all the EFI swap parts from the same truck?

Do you have a CEL?

Maybe these links to the Toyota Bible on Pirate will help. ECU Compatibility - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247846

Don't give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom